Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

One Way Van Hire to Malaga, Spain

One Way Van Hire to Malaga, Spain

Old Mar 11th 2008, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

MichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to all
Default One Way Van Hire to Malaga, Spain

Hi there,

I have had a look on the free beer thread, and checked out j hire. I have sent them an email, but in the meantime i had a question.

I see that j hire are located in salisbury ( south uk ) and the spanish offices are between alicante & murcia!

How does that work then for someone who lives in lancashire ( nwest uk ) and who wants to travel to fuengirola/benalmadena (malaga)

What is the normal way this can be organised?

Also if we chose to fly whilst the van was driven for us, how do we get all of our stuff to salisbury??

Thank you for your help everyone, and if anyone knows of any more info then pls let me know xx
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:09 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Way Van Hire to Malaga, Spain

Originally Posted by MichaelandDawn
Hi there,

I have had a look on the free beer thread, and checked out j hire. I have sent them an email, but in the meantime i had a question.

I see that j hire are located in salisbury ( south uk ) and the spanish offices are between alicante & murcia!

How does that work then for someone who lives in lancashire ( nwest uk ) and who wants to travel to fuengirola/benalmadena (malaga)

What is the normal way this can be organised?

Also if we chose to fly whilst the van was driven for us, how do we get all of our stuff to salisbury??

Thank you for your help everyone, and if anyone knows of any more info then pls let me know xx
Well its best to contact the van hire company to ask. They may have a facility. If not, you would have to collect the van. They may have someone down there who would drive for you, in which case he would bring the van up to your place to load it, and then start the trip to Spain.

But by getting someone to drive for you you may defeat the object of the one way hire as you end up with a driver in Spain who, unless they get a re load, has to get back to the UK which presumably you would have to pay for.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well its best to contact the van hire company to ask. They may have a facility. If not, you would have to collect the van. They may have someone down there who would drive for you, in which case he would bring the van up to your place to load it, and then start the trip to Spain.

But by getting someone to drive for you you may defeat the object of the one way hire as you end up with a driver in Spain who, unless they get a re load, has to get back to the UK which presumably you would have to pay for.
We are doing this in early May. We have to drive down to Salisbury to pick up the van then travel back home in convoy to load up. We priced the trip to Salisbury by train and it was a ridiculous amount so driving was the best option. Then when you get to Spain you do the same thing in reverse.
These 2 'extra' trips are something that you have to take account of when working out your costs for the move.
If you are going to pay someone to drive the van for you it is going to get very expensive. How does the driver get home again? If he drives back you defeat the object of 'one way hire' and you might as well have taken the cheaper option of a normal van hire.
Another way to do it is to get one of the 'part load' outfits to collect your stuff then drop it off after you get there. We are using one of these guys to bring 2 beds over for us as we won't have room in the van. They charge by volume, and if you work on a fig of £100 per cu m you won't be far out. 2 double beds work out at 3 cu m to give you an idea.
Good luck.
Tony.

Last edited by CarolandTony; Mar 11th 2008 at 9:48 am. Reason: got the measurement wrong
Old Mar 11th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

MichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to allMichaelandDawn is a name known to all

Thank you for your help,

I am trying to find a more local company...

I have done online quotes for the following:-

Anyone used any of these co's ???? QUOTES BELOW

(SNIP)

Once i have received all of the quotes and info i will copy and past this list into a reply at a later date for other peoples' benefit

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 11th 2008 at 2:55 pm. Reason: Unsolicited commercial URL's - Please dont publish the quotes, as really its meaningless to others anyway - Thanks
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Here is one of my replies:-

(SNIP)

What do people think ??

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 11th 2008 at 2:56 pm. Reason: Hauliers quote letter pasted
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

CarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud ofCarolandTony has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MichaelandDawn
Here is one of my replies:-

(SNIP)
Looks good to me. A fair price.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 11th 2008 at 2:57 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your comments.

Does anyone know how the storage works?? That may come in handy as we will be letting our house out to tenants, so presumably we could do the packing bit by bit, and "drop it off" for storage??

How long does it take for them to arrive from the UK normally ??

Presumably all we then need to do is get our flights ??

Thank you for all of your help. I appreciate it, as we are new to overseas removals xxxx

Please keep the comments coming.. xxxxxx
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

This seems complicated ?? Is there an easier way ?? Dont want to have to wait up to 2 weeks for our stuff!

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 11th 2008 at 2:54 pm. Reason: Hauliers letter posted with commercial URL
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:27 pm
Happy in Torrox

Shep43 will become famous soon enoughShep43 will become famous soon enough

Hi, we used Movers International when we moved from Preston to Costa del Sol. They are based in Preston and were very good and a good price as they come over regularly to their base in Malaga.

Good luck,

Iain
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

How much stuff have you to move and do you really need it all, I myself would not do it anyway that anyone has really offered on here but it depends what you have, maybe if you can list that it would be more helpful, I think sometimes its good for a new start to just let go of a lot of stuff, Most places you would rent are furnished anyway
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Here is my list of stuff:-

We are renting our Uk house out, so we dont really have anywhere to leave things ( as the tenants want it unfurnished)

We are selling ALL big stuff ( beds/table chairs/sofas/ everything )

We will be moving into a furnished apartment, but just want a few bits and bobs ( everything on this list we need)

LOUNGE
Small Bookcase (sentimental)
Small Drinks Cabinet (sentimental)
Large expensive Plasma TV
DVD PLAYER/IPOD/Speaker system
1 picture

BEDROOM

2 Posh Ottoman Box’s 2
Small Plasma TV console
2 Pictures
1 Sentimental Mirror

OTHER/OUTDOOR
Important medium Filing Cabinet
2 Bicycles
Golf Bag & Clubs ( must take )
1 BBQ ( wedding present....dont want to sell it)

BOXES NEEDED

China & Glass: 2
Books and DVDS: 1
Miscellaneous: 3
Clothing: 6

& All Protective packagaing & tape

Cheapest quote so far is (SNIP) at £630

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Mar 11th 2008 at 3:00 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who was in the freight business and has had experience of removal companies, beware anyone who says "we estimate its 6 cbm". If he hasn't seen it then he doesn't know, and theres always a possibility that your charges will go up once the vehicle is loaded .... and then what can you do.

A professional removal company worth their salt will come and look at what you have to move.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

so sorry about the url's

i did not know....if anyone can delete that one post from my thread i would be hapy...pls keep my thread alive minus url's xx
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As someone who was in the freight business and has had experience of removal companies, beware anyone who says "we estimate its 6 cbm". If he hasn't seen it then he doesn't know, and theres always a possibility that your charges will go up once the vehicle is loaded .... and then what can you do.

A professional removal company worth their salt will come and look at what you have to move.
have to agree.£630 is tempting but that price can go up dramatically if the volume is greater..
my friend who ha gone to new zealand..found that she needed another 1/3rd of a container to ship her goods and that cost over 1,00 extra...quite a shock.
carole
Old Mar 11th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

It does not look like you have a lot there, I would fly over to spain, get settled hire a van becuase you will need one for your business anyway, also you might have some rubbish to dump from the new place your renting then drive it to the UK load it up drive it back there. Ideally get all your stuff ready in a garage if you can and you will know the exact measurement's you will need.

Will also get you used to driving on the continent, you can fill up with slighly cheaper fuel, take a mattress and put it on the top of your blongings and sleep in the van

Last edited by andyrich666; Mar 11th 2008 at 3:00 pm. Reason: added more

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.