Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

One Way to Beat the Oil Price Rises?

One Way to Beat the Oil Price Rises?

Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default One Way to Beat the Oil Price Rises?

Seems like some resourceful Spaniards may be going back to the old ways of doing things to combat the rise in fuel prices - this afternoon, for the first time since I bought my house 8 years ago, a donkey laden with building rubble from a house being renovated around the corner came down the hill past my house and made several more trips throughout the day!

The more usual way of transporting things like that here is a man with a tractor and trailer, but as he charges 35€ per trip maybe La Crisis is forcing a return to the old days.

And we're not talking some remote mountain village here, but a large town with over 50,000 inhabitants. I have seen this being done in Frigiliana before, but never here until today. Apparently though it was quite commonplace for people to keep donkeys and other animals in stables at the back of their houses (leading them through the house to get into the street!) until quite recently. Someone I know bought a house nearby just before I bought mine and there was a donkey stabled in the patio then. Pity my patio is not bigger, I love donkeys and could get one to bring the shopping back up the hill - could I tie it up in Mercadona's underground car park, do you think?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:47 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One Way to Beat the Oil Price Rises?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Seems like some resourceful Spaniards may be going back to the old ways of doing things to combat the rise in fuel prices - this afternoon, for the first time since I bought my house 8 years ago, a donkey laden with building rubble from a house being renovated around the corner came down the hill past my house and made several more trips throughout the day!

The more usual way of transporting things like that here is a man with a tractor and trailer, but as he charges 35€ per trip maybe La Crisis is forcing a return to the old days.

And we're not talking some remote mountain village here, but a large town with over 50,000 inhabitants. I have seen this being done in Frigiliana before, but never here until today. Apparently though it was quite commonplace for people to keep donkeys and other animals in stables at the back of their houses (leading them through the house to get into the street!) until quite recently. Someone I know bought a house nearby just before I bought mine and there was a donkey stabled in the patio then. Pity my patio is not bigger, I love donkeys and could get one to bring the shopping back up the hill - could I tie it up in Mercadona's underground car park, do you think?
I bet Mercadona would just love that.
On the other hand maybe one of the thrifty locals will clean it up and save on the price of a bag of fertilizer.
Who knows if the crisis continues to worsen, Donkey breeding could be big business again out in the campo.
I can just imagine half a dozen of them in a row tied to a hitching rail in front of the local shop.
Mind you security could be a problem in this day and age, unless of course they're all fitted with the latest tracking device.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

there should be no problem taking it to Mercadona, the problem for me would be getting the bugger in the lift when we get home.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:31 pm
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
there should be no problem taking it to Mercadona, the problem for me would be getting the bugger in the lift when we get home.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:33 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

How much is petrol over there now?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:36 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
A lot more expensive than hay for the donkey.....
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:39 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you'll get a more up-to-date local price, but this website gives prices all over Europe. Only problem is, it's not updated too often

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

For Feb 9 it gives the price in Euros for petrol as 1.41 in the UK and 1.26 in Spain. Diesel is 1.48 Euros per litre in the UK, and 1.21 in Spain

Those prices are depressing enough, I hate to think what they will be this week
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:40 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
A lot more expensive than hay for the donkey.....
I expect it is but that still doesn't answer my question. We use Shanks' pony .... which doesn't even require hay
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:41 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Donkey breeding could be big business again out in the campo.
I think someone should give the nod to the guys on Blackpool and Skegness beaches. Donkey-rustling may be about to make a comeback!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen this being done in Frigiliana before, but never here until today.
Yes, Paco makes a very good living!
http://www.noticiasfrigiliana.com/in...=829&Itemid=68
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:45 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'm sure you'll get a more up-to-date local price, but this website gives prices all over Europe. Only problem is, it's not updated too often

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

For Feb 9 it gives the price in Euros for petrol as 1.41 in the UK and 1.26 in Spain. Diesel is 1.48 Euros per litre in the UK, and 1.21 in Spain

Those prices are depressing enough, I hate to think what they will be this week
Thanks for that
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:46 pm
Not Banned (yet)

I expect it is but that still doesn't answer my question. We use Shanks' pony .... which doesn't even require hay
Some enterprising Latin American guys set up a Rickshaw business in London a few years back (I think they were from Colombia, but I'm not 100% sure). Certainly if you google "London rickshaws" you can now find several places advertising this service. It may prove to be the future for personal transport in central London.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:52 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Some enterprising Latin American guys set up a Rickshaw business in London a few years back (I think they were from Colombia, but I'm not 100% sure). Certainly if you google "London rickshaws" you can now find several places advertising this service. It may prove to be the future for personal transport in central London.
Well there could soon be a lot less cars so could be a good idea
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:08 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

simple way to beat the oil price rise.the gallon can and the rubber hose.

Last edited by betris; Feb 27th 2011 at 7:10 pm. Reason: can over flowing
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:19 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Well there could soon be a lot less cars so could be a good idea
Fuel shortages, panic buying and price increases have been common at least since the Suez crisis and probably way back further than that, but it has never yet resulted in a decrease in car numbers.
Ppl.will always find money to pay for their cars and fuel, even if they have to live on bread and water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.