Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

One thing I miss here in Spain - live music

One thing I miss here in Spain - live music

Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default One thing I miss here in Spain - live music

Before we moved over to Spain last year we frequently used to go and see bands live. Easy then as we hand a number of decent venues nearby and who was playing was well publicised.

Sadly not the case here as although there are some quite decent bands playing in bars and occasionaly well known bands playing in the vicinity it's not easy to find out who is on where and when. Normally I find out after the event when someone will say did you see Led Zepplin last week, they were playing practise sessions for the upcoming world tour in Paco's bar in Sayalonga. Or maybe something similar. In fact I'm still smarting from missing the classical guitar competition in la Herradura last year.

So in order to make it simple to find out what live music is around the locale I have set up a website (SNIP) As I get information on dates and venues I will update the website and hopefully a single click will tell you who's playing where on any date you choose. I only published it last weekend so right now it doesn't have much data available. However a friend of mine plays in a band here and will spread the word amongst fellow musicians and venues so should have a lot more very soon.

Right now it's a little basic, somewhat incomplete but functional and the weather is far too nice to be spending time indoors prettying up websites.

If any of you play in a band, or run a bar with live music please send me your gig/event schedules and I will include them in the website. There is a form on the website through which you can send the information or use the PM on here.

Along with dates I need a brief description of the type of music the band plays. For venues address, contact details, whether food is available etc.

In both cases if there is already a dedicated website include the URL so I can link to it.

Initially I want to limit the geographical coverage to roughly from Nerja to Torre del Mar and a similar distance inland. Really don't want to find myself with a mountain of data covering all of Spain which I have to manually input :-)

Listing is free, nada, gratis and I have no current intention to charge, which is another reason for keeping it relatively local and the workload minimal for the time being.

(SNIP)

One last thing it isn't restricted to only "rock" bands as it would be good to be able to find flamenco evenings, guitar concerts etc. Don't plan to include one man and his karoake machine tho' as I suspect there are far too many of them around.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Aug 30th 2010 at 1:31 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 12:56 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One thing I miss here in Spain - live music

Good luck with that - and I agree, it's often difficult to find out music events (especially local smaller ones).
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, its against the forum rules to advertise your site in the forums, why not stick it in your signature and that way ist there every time you post

Incidentally ..... since I've been in Spain I have seen more bands than I have seen in the last 10 years .... all on one bill HERE
Old Aug 30th 2010, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Bob, its against the forum rules to advertise your site in the forums, why not stick it in your signature and that way ist there every time you post

Incidentally ..... since I've been in Spain I have seen more bands than I have seen in the last 10 years .... all on one bill HERE
Hi Mitzyboy.

Since it is totally non-commercial, and needs input from people to make it useful I figured I may just scrape within the rules :-)

Until I there's a useful list of events in there there's not much point including the url in my sig, but thanks anyway.

I won't be offended if you deem it advertising and remove it.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 3:41 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you, 10/10 for effort. It may be worthwhile where you are.

I find our local free rags give very good advance notice of almost events taking place here. Anyone can contact them to have a notice placed for free.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

I tend to agree with bob, although they advertise events and such in the local press it seems to be the one coming out at the weekend of the event so if you pick up the paper the following week you have missed it.

We are not big on going out but sometimes it would be nice to be able to plan a few weeks in advance for something.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:31 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Here in Chiclana it is difficult to find out about events in advance - OK in the "season" (just finished), but hopeless otherwise except for the very large events.

Have always thought that there is an opening for someone to organise a "What's on"

Good luck and I am sorry the Mods snipped the site address only to tell you how to pass it on - seems silly to my simple mind

Davexf
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

It's in my sig now, thanks Miztyboy.

I do need input from bands and bars to make it useful though, so if anybody knows anybody please pass it along.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Agnes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave
Information on local gigs here in Chiclana has improved recently. For one your own info on the Chifra website and the new online radio station baywatch are constantly give out info on local events and gigs, also mycadiz has an events page.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:28 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Agnes

There is also

http://www.cadiznews.co.uk/info2.cfm?info_id=90400

For events in the Cádiz region

Davexf
Old Sep 21st 2010, 7:35 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Bob - This is the type of thing that Twitter is excellent for.
When you add a new band to your gig list, post the band's name start date and link to your normal website, to your dedicated account on Twitter solely for gig information. All people interested in live music, and who follow you on Twitter (yes, it depends on take-up of Twitter I know, and making sure they "follow" you) will then get an almost instant update. Almost as good as emailing everyone, except you just make a small entry on Twitter, even possible from your mobile.
Now currently, most of your target audience may not be on Twitter, but believe me this is changing, especially among the younger crowd. Look into it - it could be a great way to publicise your website/bands and (best of all) does not cost a centime.
Am I on Twitter? Yes, under the handle #MigginsPies
Old Sep 21st 2010, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Not just the target audience who aren't on Twitter, neither am I http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ilies/rofl.gif

Bit slow getting off the ground the couple of bars that I emailed so far haven't bothered to reply. But we'll get there.

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Bob - This is the type of thing that Twitter is excellent for.
When you add a new band to your gig list, post the band's name start date and link to your normal website, to your dedicated account on Twitter solely for gig information. All people interested in live music, and who follow you on Twitter (yes, it depends on take-up of Twitter I know, and making sure they "follow" you) will then get an almost instant update. Almost as good as emailing everyone, except you just make a small entry on Twitter, even possible from your mobile.
Now currently, most of your target audience may not be on Twitter, but believe me this is changing, especially among the younger crowd. Look into it - it could be a great way to publicise your website/bands and (best of all) does not cost a centime.
Am I on Twitter? Yes, under the handle #MigginsPies