The Olympics

Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:05 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Olympics

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
.... Let's have some whingeing from the dear old Telegraph!

"The London Olympics are the most Right-wing major event in Britain’s modern history. Billions of pounds are taken from poor and middle-income taxpayers and service users to build temples to a corporate and sporting elite. Democratic, grassroots sport is stripped of money to fund the most rarefied sport imaginable. The police and the state are turned into the enforcement arm of Coca-Cola. How did this event suddenly become the toast of the Left?

Corporations who make people fat and sick – or, in one case, actually maimed and killed them – are allowed to launder their images; the London Paralympics, in a detail you simply could not make up, are sponsored by Atos, the firm repeatedly accused of bullying disabled people off benefits. Meanwhile, the main sponsors – the people of Britain – are largely excluded from the event they paid for."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/an...ered-the-left/
how can stating facts be interpreted as "whingeing"

if you have ever been "dealt with" by ATOS, an inefficient organisation that provides 25 pages of questionnaire to claimants, 99% of which are not relevent you would understand ?

if you had requested tickets to even minority sports and been refused to find that huge blocks of seating in prime positions were totally unoccupied wouldn't you be pissed off ?

if you had been allocated tickets that had never arrived so had to queue for 3 hours to get a ticket to find that when/if you left your seat the computer system would reallocate the seat and sell it again ?

there are more snoopers reporting possible infringement of copyright than there are people protecting the borders, all paid for by British Olympics not the corporations concerned.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
If you had worked for at least 8 years towards something would you not be that excited? Its a question, I'm not being snide, its a genuine question.
No, its standards I suppose, 'common as muck' sort of behaviour, no pride and dignity shown in the way he acted. That said common courtesy/manners is a diminishing trait in modern society so it's acceptable to some I suppose these days to act like a clown when representing your nation.

I'd be excited of course but would never dream of acting like that in front of the world, far too 'Jerry Springer'.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JLFS
Yes RM, thanks for the post, very amusing and whitty, it gave me a good laugh.

If anyone thought the event was good or bad, it does not take away the fact that te review was entertaining.
I thought so too. Very funny. Part of being British is that we can laugh at ourselves. Right now for me one of the best things about living in Spain is that I can completely avoid the Olympics if I want to. I didn't watch the ceremony. I don't normally watch much sport so I don't suppose I'll watch any of the events either. Much too nice outside to sit in front of the TV for hours.

For those who are sports fans, I hope they enjoy it.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Part of being British is that we can laugh at ourselves.
Might just as well, everyone else does!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
how can stating facts be interpreted as "whingeing"

if you have ever been "dealt with" by ATOS, an inefficient organisation that provides 25 pages of questionnaire to claimants, 99% of which are not relevent you would understand ?

if you had requested tickets to even minority sports and been refused to find that huge blocks of seating in prime positions were totally unoccupied wouldn't you be pissed off ?

if you had been allocated tickets that had never arrived so had to queue for 3 hours to get a ticket to find that when/if you left your seat the computer system would reallocate the seat and sell it again ?

there are more snoopers reporting possible infringement of copyright than there are people protecting the borders, all paid for by British Olympics not the corporations concerned.
I agree totally. I was being ironic, after people said it was the Guardian doing all the whingeing.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...uras-loss.html

Shock horror.

Spain lose to Japan and then to Honduras to go crashing out of the Olympic football.
Thank goodness for that, I don't think my body could cope with any more football celebrations!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 9:42 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I agree totally. I was being ironic, after people said it was the Guardian doing all the whingeing.
we will have to ask The Powers That Be for a Smiley to denote Irony, sometimes it can be hard to identify without a magnet

Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:32 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Right now for me one of the best things about living in Spain is that I can completely avoid the Olympics if I want to. I didn't watch the ceremony. I don't normally watch much sport so I don't suppose I'll watch any of the events either. Much too nice outside to sit in front of the TV for hours.

For those who are sports fans, I hope they enjoy it.
We all have a choice whatever the country...and on/off button
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:47 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to see so many people made so happy by this event. I'm still not sure about the following happy worker - she's become a bit of a Youtube star already though.

Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Stevie, did you see this guy?

Old Jul 30th 2012, 10:34 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of empty seats I see,

I would say these were most probably freebies, and wasted
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Stevie, did you see this guy?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6dbh1PjDfwU
Do you mean the chap waving with his left arm (the Nazi salute is fixed posture and uses the right arm) ?

Last edited by bob_bob; Jul 31st 2012 at 12:29 am.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 11:50 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Plenty of empty seats I see,

I would say these were most probably freebies, and wasted
You need to keep up with the news.
A huge scandal and loads of folk stuck outside wanting a seat.
The sponsors and Olympic committee have kept more than they could ever use on top of which they were flogging lots of them on the black market back in their home countries a few weeks ago, fifty different countries according to reports.
The UK has put on a good show but sadly are being let down by the usual tales of Olympic greed and corruption.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:22 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering, but is anyone in here actually interested in athletics and sport? You know, the Olympic Games?
Old Jul 31st 2012, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Just wondering, but is anyone in here actually interested in athletics and sport? You know, the Olympic Games?
Yes, I'm very interested and enjoying it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.