Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

olives, almonds and septic tanks?

olives, almonds and septic tanks?

Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Question olives, almonds and septic tanks?

Anyone know anything about olives. The house we've bought has an abbundance of olive and almond trees.
We are meeting up with the previous owner in July when we go back over, to talk about the general running of things. I just wondered if anyone else had bought property with rustic land. We also have a septic tank thank doesn't get emptied....it drains/soaks away. The local builder was laughing his head off when he checked it out (it was a bit blocked) and commented on the 'muy grandes tomates!' that we'd grow on the veg garden.
Orur little bit of Spain isn't that little......I think we'll have to start looking for a man with a rotovator!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:21 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: olives, almonds and septic tanks?

My old place had olives, oranges, limes and almonds. All but the olives were made full use of at cocktail time! As for the olives, the process to make them edible is fiendishly complicated and not worth the bother. If you have tons of them it may be worth trying to sell them on, otherwise just let them fall!
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:22 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot the septic tanks. I've never heard of one that just drains away. Where the hell does it go to! :scared: A bit of baking soda down the loo every now and then helps keep it smelling nice and helps with the enzymes that break it down.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 2:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
I forgot the septic tanks. I've never heard of one that just drains away. Where the hell does it go to! :scared: A bit of baking soda down the loo every now and then helps keep it smelling nice and helps with the enzymes that break it down.
Your right, usually its only the water that drains out of the second tank and the solids stay in the first tank which needs to be pumped out when full.

By the way dont eat the olives and almonds that fall in the tanks
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Your right, usually its only the water that drains out of the second tank and the solids stay in the first tank which needs to be pumped out when full.

By the way dont eat the olives and almonds that fall in the tanks
OWAMYA!

Thanks for the usefull tip regarding baking soda...we have been told by English people that we've spoken to, that every so often you may need to put something (bit vague I know) down the tank to help the bacteria/enzymes do their work. It would have to be something friendly to the enzymes...we've been warned not to use bleach and toilet cleaners as they kill the bacteria. It would eventually just 'soak away' into the earth, hence the builders comment about the big tomatoes and plentiful green beans.

As far as we're aware the olives don't take an aweful lot of looking after......irrigation 2/3 times a year, harvesting in Dec/Jan then pruning back. I've found out that theres a local co-opperative where you take your olives for pressing. Payment is in olive oil or if you produce enough, oil and cash.
I would imagine that the almonds would be the same.....harvest them and ferry them to a pressing plant.

Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:45 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

re: Septic Tanks

Most tanks at some stage need to be emptied of solids, it depends on cubic capacity, some tanks are so large that this may only need to be done a couple of times during occupancy (i.e. 20 years!!) if soak away is effective.

Dont trust your builder ask to see the tank level,(most unpleasant but extremely necessary) if level can easily be seen it means that it is too high and the land is saturated, therefore soak away is slow and can only get worst in winter, the builder should agree to have it emptied as part of the purchase.

Ferreterias sell "bacterial products" similar result to baking soda, they break the enzymes and also eat the solids! Oh yum!

re: Fruit & Olive trees

Most land owner who grow any sort of crops, go to the local cooperative to sell their products, I dont believe that there is a limit on how big or small the crop should be, if your plot is very large you may wish to enlist a couple of local youngsters for pocket money to collect the crops and bag them for you. The previous owner may offer to do this for a small fee. Worth talking with him.

A cerveza (or two) goes a long way in Spain to get goodwill.

Hope this is of help.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 3:48 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Maryg,

You must have been writing at the same time as I was.

The bacteria product is called "bacteria - fossa septica", or something like it,
Old Jun 17th 2005, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Oh Maryg,

You must have been writing at the same time as I was.

The bacteria product is called "bacteria - fossa septica", or something like it,
Many thanks for the information. I will ask my builder to look at the tank again and sort out getting it emptied. When he lifted the lid of the tank you could see liquid, and we noticed that the pipe coming in from the house was a bit blocked. He said it just needed a good poke!
There is a brilliant hardware shop in the town, sells everything you could possibly need, so I'll go in and ask about the Bacteria fossa septica in there.
We go over again in July, by which time my man 'Gines' promises to have put an ensuite in the little house. We've also arranged to meet up with the previous owner, who happens to own a lovely fresh fish and fruiters in the town. He may be able to help out with the septic tank thing too.
Thanks again for the advice.
Mary
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Several months down the line and we are still not out there enjoying our little bit of Spain full time, but we get over as often as we can. Hopefully, all being well we should be full time in Spain by this summer.

However......, we did manage to 'harvest' a few sacks of almonds last year, delicious they were too, and also last month we got 500kilos of olives from just 7 trees, the ones closest to the house that had recieved water last year. They yeilded 94 litres of olive oil..it was our 'first time' and our very helpful Spanish friend misunderstood me when I asked that we should get some money as well as oil.......anyhow, it's all a learning curve! The whole process of taking the olives to the local co op. the weighing, sampling, watching the olives getting graded and sorted, seeing olives being pressed and watching the samples being tested was very interesting. I doubt very much that we'll make much money from olive growing, but we'll never be short of fresh, delicious olive oil. I had a go at preserving some olives but unfortunately it didn't work out.....I ended up with a large jar of fermented olives..yuk!
Anyone need any olive oil??? LOL

As for the septic tank.....we've since realised it's a cesspit as opposed to a soak away fossa septica....so to solve all our problems we're having a nice shiny new one installed!

Mary
Old Feb 15th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea to sell your own olive oil to other expats. If you were near me I would definitely buy some from you.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 3:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have one of those soak away septic tanks also, so it was interesting (if thats the right word) to read this thread as I was a bit worried the builder was telling me porkies! It was a newbuild so I'm hoping it will be a while before we have to start looking into having it emptied.