Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

OLD STAELLITE DISH

OLD STAELLITE DISH

Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:52 am
Just Joined

costablanca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OLD STAELLITE DISH

What do you do with your old Dish? I have two old ones and want to clear space. Is it worth any money, do you bin it,,where?

Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:19 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OLD STAELLITE DISH

you can pop them into free clazssified and see if any one wants them....
if they are small then you will not get much for them...
if they are big then i am sure someone will have them...

or, be kind, and take it to you local ecopark, and let the scrap metal chaps there take it for you...
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:11 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by costablanca
What do you do with your old Dish? I have two old ones and want to clear space. Is it worth any money, do you bin it,,where?

Thanks
Made mine into a bird bath.
Used the existing brakets to fix it horizonally onto a scaffold pipe which is part of the garden fence about 1.5 mts above the ground.
Been there for over 4 years now and the birds seem to love it,just as we love watching them.
Also put a big green plastic frog in the middle of it, to brighten it up a touch.
Wouldn't recommend it with a 2 mtr dish though.....

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Nov 28th 2009 at 8:13 am.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by costablanca

Thanks
Why not line it with silver foil and turn it into a solar heat collector. Fit a small heat exchanger postioned so that the suns rays focus on it. Use this heat to create steam and the steam to drive a small generator.

Hey presto, make you own electricity.

Might take a bit of work but you can check out the commercial type if you google 'sun tower' or go to Seville and take the motorway to Heulva. There are 3 of these to the right of the m/way a few miles out of town.

If you lived closer I would relieve you of them!

Happy experimenting.

Steve
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: up the mountains,with the goats.,los filabres,almeria,spain.
michaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to allmichaleen oge is a name known to all

i had an old 2 metre dish and didn't know what to do with it, so i fitted an outboard motor to it, got my sat nav out of the car,and set off for malta. unfortunately i woke up before i cleared harbour.
i had a huge old fridge in my bungalow in doncaster once and when it died i had to get rid. so i dug a hole in the back garden to bury it and when my wife asked me where i put the earth from the hole,i told her "in the fridge".
i used to laugh and hug myself for years afterwards when we moved,imagining the look on the new owners faces when they tried to plant potatoes in the back garden. priceless.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 1:36 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

you can also use it to make a game like they had on "The Crystal Maze"....

literally seconds of fun to be had....
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:07 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Bolted my old dish onto the back of the car & sprayed it silver so it would reflect the flash from money maker (opps I mean safety camera) back onto the lens to blind it.
Told the policeman who stopped me that it was for a sat nav that I intended to buy & he gave me a funny look ?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:22 pm

like...
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I've left ours in situ, hoping very soon (ie when I get around to it) to get Spanish satellite installation cos it's the only way since we haven't got terrestrial signal.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:20 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
Bolted my old dish onto the back of the car & sprayed it silver so it would reflect the flash from money maker (opps I mean safety camera) back onto the lens to blind it.
Told the policeman who stopped me that it was for a sat nav that I intended to buy & he gave me a funny look ?
Apart from the small one I used for a bird bath,I had a spare 1.9 mtr dish that I picked up for a song at a Beni car boot,so I strapped it firmly on the car roof rack and drove it 3000km up into Scandinavia.
Got quite a few funny looks on the way,...it looked something akin to a small car fixed onto the bottom of a flying saucer........
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: OLD STAELLITE DISH

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Apart from the small one I used for a bird bath,I had a spare 1.9 mtr dish that I picked up for a song at a Beni car boot,so I strapped it firmly on the car roof rack and drove it 3000km up into Scandinavia.
Got quite a few funny looks on the way,...it looked something akin to a small car fixed onto the bottom of a flying saucer........
WHY go all that way?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:23 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by John & Kath
WHY go all that way?
My mid-summer home when it gets too hot in Spain.
Drive up and down quite often,...kitchen-sink and all.......
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:41 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

big wok
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:58 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jurdyr
big wok
...or paella dish,...a 2.4mtr should feed a few mouths when its fiesta time.