Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

to old to learn spanish

to old to learn spanish

Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:34 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to old to learn spanish

You can use the yo, etc but then you are emphasising the person.

thus hablo = I speak, but yo hablo means more like ' Me, I speak '

With most languages, context is king, and emphasis is all.

For example, in hablo, emphasise the 'a' and it means 'I speak', emphasise the 'o' and it means 'he spoke'.

With languages I find that you go thru a grammar phrase where in order to learn the correct sentence structure you have to learn the grammar of it, but once you have learnt it, you then forget the grammar, often to the point where you can be hard pressed to remember why that particular sentence is the way it is.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

I have just received a mail with some pictures that prove that the doors are always opened only for those who belive in theirselfs, so, we can do whatever we really want to and this dog shows us

willpower.doc
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marisol
I have just received a mail with some pictures that prove that the doors are always opened only for those who belive in theirselfs, so, we can do whatever we really want to and this dog shows us

Attachment 70980
Maybe bil is right when he said "the grammar is very important" if i had known it i would have written "themselves" instead of "theirselfs"
thanks a lot bil to correct me, things like that help me to improve my English
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:18 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, if I spoke Spanish as well as you speak English, I'd be very pleased.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 7:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quiterio
Yes, of course. But I was thinking of listening comprehension.

These poor people are desperately listening for a 'yo' or a 'tu' and wondering why they're not picking up the sense of what's being said.
of course...........but I am talking about complete beginners

after a while it goes in and they can understand - usually they can understand before they can speak, anyway