Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

to old to learn spanish

to old to learn spanish

Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to old to learn spanish

I find that I'm now more prepared to use my Spanish, at first was frightened of making mistakes, but am now more confident, long way to go yet, but can make myself understood in shops, and ALWAYS try to ask for things in Spanish, even though I know I'm talking to someone who has fluent English.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 5:03 pm
CHIPPIE2

chippie2 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your comments Ive decided to start in Sept there is a woman who used to teach Spanish in a college back in the UK ,here, so I will give it a go
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chippie2
... so I will give it a go
A very good way forward chippie2.
Strength to your elbow.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:44 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippie2
so I will give it a go
Yes do. I was lacking in confidence when we first came here 4 years ago, and left everything up to OH because he speaks fluent Spanish, and has done for over 20 years (he learned Latin at school which helps.) Once I got over the initial embarrassment of making mistakes I was really gung ho about it and started taking lessons. I'm coming on a treat now and am not scared at all.

It really is more about confidence than anything else and the Spanish do help you along, provided you are trying. I have lovely times with our neighbours and we regularly visit one another at home. The Spanish are genuine, helpful people and, unlike us Brits, when they are speaking to foreigners in English, they don't shout and don't lose patience and will repeat it until you get it.

I have a friend who is well into her 70's, she takes lessons and she's a really good example of what you can learn, whatever your age.

I am a lady of a certain age and so I'll probably never ever be fluent, but I'll give it my best shot.

Jolly good luck and let us know how you get on.

JJ

Last edited by jjh; Jul 19th 2008 at 7:46 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 8:47 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bokeh
Are you the sort of person that doesn't give up once you get your teeth into something? Are you open minded and freely willing to take up new ideas and ways of doing things? Do you have a good understanding of the building blocks, lexicography and grammar of your own language? Once you are an adult these questions are much more relevant than how old you will be on your next birthday.

P.S. Someone who writes "to old to learn?" will probably have a lot more trouble learning than someone who writes "too old to learn?".
I agree that a good grounding in English helps. I tried to explain about adjectives, after trying the "an adjective tells us about the noun", to no avail. I decided to try another way I said that you could not hold an adjective in your hands or touch it. You cannot hold a "yellow" or a "nice".
The result is that THE SUN is now an adjective.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:13 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

You can't really understand a language unless you understand grammar.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Thumbs down Re: to old to learn spanish

Are you the sort of person that doesn't give up once you get your teeth into something? Are you open minded and freely willing to take up new ideas and ways of doing things? Do you have a good understanding of the building blocks, lexicography and grammar of your own language? Once you are an adult these questions are much more relevant than how old you will be on your next birthday.

P.S. Someone who writes "to old to learn?" will probably have a lot more trouble learning than someone who writes "too old to learn?".

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"?

Unfair criticism of others a particularly hateful trait to possess in my opinion.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice

Originally Posted by bil
You can't really understand a language unless you understand grammar.
A child of 3 has no real concept of the structure of the language they speak however they communicate freely. Encourage those who want to try to develop a language that is not their mother tongue whatever age they may be.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:38 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't talk to people, they won't talk to you, and then you never will learn anything new.

To learn a language by 'absorbing' it is fine, provided you are set a good example. These days grammar is hardly taught, so it pays you to learn if you want a proper understanding of the language.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bil
If you don't talk to people, they won't talk to you, and then you never will learn anything new.

To learn a language by 'absorbing' it is fine, provided you are set a good example. These days grammar is hardly taught, so it pays you to learn if you want a proper understanding of the language.
Attempting communication whatever 'example' people perceive you to be setting is a good starting point. Having the confidence in yourself to do this is the first hurdle. Following this self development you can then move towards language structure.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:49 pm
bil
Banned

Oh yes, you have to throw yourself into it, but if you really intend to try and get a real grip on a foreign language, then start to learn and understand grammar. The earlier the better.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:23 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by celestine
A child of 3 has no real concept of the structure of the language they speak
Of course they have a good understanding of the structure and rules of the language. Even a two-year-old does, that why they regularize the irregular verbs (cabo, sabo, tieno, etc). They do this because they know the rules (how to conjugate a verb) but have never heard the verb they wish to use in the tense or person in which they wish to use it. Just because a three-year-old doesn't yet have the intellect to examine and discuss the grammar and rules of the language doesn't mean he are not aware of them.

Anyway saying a three-year-old has no concept so a sixty-year-old needs no concept either is a red herring. A three-year-old learns the rules and grammar of the language through acquisition. There is a window for learning language through acquisition which is completely closed once the individual reaches puberty. Once that point is passed the only way to learn is through cognitive process which requires a deep understanding of rules, grammar and the elements of which a language is formed

Last edited by bokeh; Jul 20th 2008 at 11:25 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

Angry Re: to old to learn spanish

Of course they have a good understanding of the structure and rules of the language. Even a two-year-old does, that why they regularize the irregular verbs (cabo, sabo, tieno, etc). They do this because they know the rules (how to conjugate a verb) but have never heard the verb they wish to use in the tense or person in which they wish to use it. Just because a three-year-old doesn't yet have the intellect to examine and discuss the grammar and rules of the language doesn't mean he are not aware of them.

Anyway saying a three-year-old has no concept so a sixty-year-old needs no concept either is a red herring. A three-year-old learns the rules and grammar of the language through acquisition. There is a window for learning language through acquisition which is completely closed once the individual reaches puberty. Once that point is passed the only way to learn is through cognitive process which requires a deep understanding of rules, grammar and the elements of which a language is formed
However individuals have a variety of learning styles, auditory, visual and kinesthetic. This does not change with age. So some individuals will always learn best by hearing! :curse:The fact that you feel it appropriate to belittle someone for a slight error in grammar and spelling (I note on more than 1 occasion) makes a mockery of you as a Senior Member and this site for allowing such comments. Anyone looking for support on this site deserves exactly that and nothing less.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:01 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If a Spanish person speaks to me in English, and they say to me he instead of her or whatever, I don`t give two monkies, I know what they are trying to get across and I am pleased for them that they are trying and succeeding.
I am sure it is the same for them when we mix a few words up, when in doubt wave your arms about. ;-))
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celestine
However individuals have a variety of learning styles, auditory, visual and kinesthetic. This does not change with age. So some individuals will always learn best by hearing! :curse:The fact that you feel it appropriate to belittle someone for a slight error in grammar and spelling (I note on more than 1 occasion) makes a mockery of you as a Senior Member and this site for allowing such comments. Anyone looking for support on this site deserves exactly that and nothing less.
I didnt interpret the post in that way. It was merely an observation that someone who is in tune with their own language, would be more likely to find it easier to learn a new language.

I do however agree with jdr in that the focus is communication and making yourself understood, so mixing up pronouns and tenses isn't the end of the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.