Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

to old to learn spanish

to old to learn spanish

Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:35 pm
CHIPPIE2

chippie2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default to old to learn spanish

Im 64 been over here just over 1 year and want to have lessons but a bit nervous,the old grey matter is slowing down,anyone been down this road
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:51 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: to old to learn spanish

Don't worry. You have the capability to learn at any age, and there's a lot of fun in going out and making a fool of yourself.

It will certainly help you to integrate and will go down well with your Spanish neighbours.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:16 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Our local council gives us free ones paid for by the EEC and ther are all ages ranging from 45 to 73 and all loving it
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:28 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chippie2
Im 64 been over here just over 1 year and want to have lessons but a bit nervous,the old grey matter is slowing down,anyone been down this road
just take you time and you get it hit one off the cafes and listen to what there sayying you pick it up in now time , like try to teack a old dog new tricks , it happen
jurdy
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I am 59 and enjoying the interaction with the locals, you are never to old to learn, just dont expect to be fluent overnight it takes time, enjoy the fun, I still make mistakes but the locals just put me right and laugh with me not at me
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Only a few years behind you lot (those who have named a number) but it is possible, it is difficult unless you are a cunning linguist but I cannot lay claim to being such but it is really worth having a go, and again, and again. Maybe soon I get to level 2.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:20 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Anna at 71 tried and took to it like water. It is all about an attitude of mind. You can if you want to.

Dave
Old Jul 17th 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

We have been here nearly 5 years, my Vernon's Spanish is not too bad at all, he is a very young 80 years old. Mine is so so, & I manage to get by, I am ** years old.

You are never too old to learn except it takes a little longer.

Wendy x
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:16 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Damn straight. I am delighted to see so many interested in learning the language.

If you don't, you miss out on so much.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bil
Damn straight. I am delighted to see so many interested in learning the language.

If you don't, you miss out on so much.
If we live her we are guests in their country & it is only correct to learn their language, even if you make a fool of yourself by making mistakes, it does not matter, the Spanish will always try to help you. Sometimes they talk a little too quickly for my liking.

Wendy x
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:37 pm
bil
Banned

Damn straight. If you are a guest in someon'es house or country, it behoves you to mind your manners and behave properly. Pity we don't get that from all the people that come into the UK. We do from some, but not all.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Yes it's never too old to learn. It will keep your brain cells active & you'll feel younger too.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 7:23 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Im 64 been over here just over 1 year [...],the old grey matter is slowing down
Are you the sort of person that doesn't give up once you get your teeth into something? Are you open minded and freely willing to take up new ideas and ways of doing things? Do you have a good understanding of the building blocks, lexicography and grammar of your own language? Once you are an adult these questions are much more relevant than how old you will be on your next birthday.

P.S. Someone who writes "to old to learn?" will probably have a lot more trouble learning than someone who writes "too old to learn?".

Last edited by bokeh; Jul 18th 2008 at 7:28 am.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bokeh
Are you the sort of person that doesn't give up once you get your teeth into something? Are you open minded and freely willing to take up new ideas and ways of doing things? Do you have a good understanding of the building blocks, lexicography and grammar of your own language? Once you are an adult these questions are much more relevant than how old you will be on your next birthday.

P.S. Someone who writes "to old to learn?" will probably have a lot more trouble learning than someone who writes "too old to learn?".
Yes I think you are right. It is far easier if you have an aptitude for language or have studied languages before. And Spanish is a lot easier for those that have studied Romance languages.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:02 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

you're never too old, it might just take a bit longer

I have one student of 60 & another of 70 & they are both doing fine!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.