British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   to old to learn spanish (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/old-learn-spanish-549651/)

chippie2 Jul 17th 2008 6:35 pm

to old to learn spanish

Im 64 been over here just over 1 year and want to have lessons but a bit nervous,the old grey matter is slowing down,anyone been down this road:thumbup:

bil Jul 17th 2008 6:51 pm

Re: to old to learn spanish

Don't worry. You have the capability to learn at any age, and there's a lot of fun in going out and making a fool of yourself.

It will certainly help you to integrate and will go down well with your Spanish neighbours.

gallerie9 Jul 17th 2008 7:16 pm

Our local council gives us free ones paid for by the EEC and ther are all ages ranging from 45 to 73 and all loving it

jurdyr Jul 17th 2008 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by chippie2 (Post 6582103)
Im 64 been over here just over 1 year and want to have lessons but a bit nervous,the old grey matter is slowing down,anyone been down this road:thumbup:

just take you time and you get it hit one off the cafes and listen to what there sayying you pick it up in now time , like try to teack a old dog new tricks , it happen
jurdy

pwwm Jul 17th 2008 8:29 pm

I am 59 and enjoying the interaction with the locals, you are never to old to learn, just dont expect to be fluent overnight it takes time, enjoy the fun, I still make mistakes but the locals just put me right and laugh with me not at me:D

El Capitan Jul 17th 2008 8:44 pm

Only a few years behind you lot (those who have named a number) but it is possible, it is difficult unless you are a cunning linguist but I cannot lay claim to being such but it is really worth having a go, and again, and again. Maybe soon I get to level 2.

Dxf Jul 17th 2008 9:20 pm

Hi

Anna at 71 tried and took to it like water. It is all about an attitude of mind. You can if you want to.

Dave

Wendy Nesbeth Jul 17th 2008 9:48 pm

We have been here nearly 5 years, my Vernon's Spanish is not too bad at all, he is a very young 80 years old. Mine is so so, & I manage to get by, I am ** years old.

You are never too old to learn except it takes a little longer.

Wendy x

bil Jul 17th 2008 10:16 pm

Damn straight. I am delighted to see so many interested in learning the language.

If you don't, you miss out on so much.

Wendy Nesbeth Jul 17th 2008 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 6582864)
Damn straight. I am delighted to see so many interested in learning the language.

If you don't, you miss out on so much.

If we live her we are guests in their country & it is only correct to learn their language, even if you make a fool of yourself by making mistakes, it does not matter, the Spanish will always try to help you. Sometimes they talk a little too quickly for my liking.

Wendy x

bil Jul 17th 2008 10:37 pm

Damn straight. If you are a guest in someon'es house or country, it behoves you to mind your manners and behave properly. Pity we don't get that from all the people that come into the UK. We do from some, but not all.

ForHotspot Jul 18th 2008 1:38 am

Yes it's never too old to learn. It will keep your brain cells active & you'll feel younger too.

bokeh Jul 18th 2008 7:23 am

Im 64 been over here just over 1 year [...],the old grey matter is slowing down

Are you the sort of person that doesn't give up once you get your teeth into something? Are you open minded and freely willing to take up new ideas and ways of doing things? Do you have a good understanding of the building blocks, lexicography and grammar of your own language? Once you are an adult these questions are much more relevant than how old you will be on your next birthday.

P.S. Someone who writes "to old to learn?" will probably have a lot more trouble learning than someone who writes "too old to learn?".

montgomail Jul 18th 2008 8:20 am

Originally Posted by bokeh (Post 6583969)
Are you the sort of person that doesn't give up once you get your teeth into something? Are you open minded and freely willing to take up new ideas and ways of doing things? Do you have a good understanding of the building blocks, lexicography and grammar of your own language? Once you are an adult these questions are much more relevant than how old you will be on your next birthday.

P.S. Someone who writes "to old to learn?" will probably have a lot more trouble learning than someone who writes "too old to learn?".

Yes I think you are right. It is far easier if you have an aptitude for language or have studied languages before. And Spanish is a lot easier for those that have studied Romance languages.

lynnxa Jul 18th 2008 3:02 pm

you're never too old, it might just take a bit longer

I have one student of 60 & another of 70 & they are both doing fine!