Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Old Cars in Spain

Old Cars in Spain

Old Feb 5th 2014, 10:35 am
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old Cars in Spain

Strange one this but does anyone know of what happens to old cars in Spain?

In a house nearby is an old car, must be from the late 1960s or possibly early 70s. It is in pretty fair condition and when I looked over it found it had last been used in 1995 - i.e. has an ITV ticket for that year on the windscreen.

Despite years of neglect the vehicle is not far of being in roadworthy condition. A new exhaust, new tyres and brake pipes being all it really needs. It has only done 50,000km from new!

My question is can the car be legally put back on the road? - and if so what would be the conditions and costs etc. (apart from those needed to get the car roadworthy).

I would rather like to preseve the old vehicle rather than see it scrapped and it could even be of some use to us as a second car. The owner is prepared to give it to us if we wanted!

Is there a Spanish equivalent to the "classic car" set up that exists in the UK which makes things cheaper for such vehicles?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:13 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Cars in Spain

There are many classic car and motorcycle enthusiasts in Spain. I would suggest more popular as a % of the population here than in the UK. There are several classic Car clubs who might be able to help you.
http://sundaydriversclub.com/clubtor...uro_clubs.html
http://maccc.wikidot.com/12th-june-classic-car-show

What is the make and model of the car? I would suggest you consider the cost of refurbishment carefully. Parts for old cars can be very expensive / difficult / impossible to obtain.

The same regulations apply as with any vehicle. It will have to pass ITV and registered in your name at traffico. You will become liable for any outstanding finance fines and road tax. After many years off the road this could be quite a lot!!!

Last edited by missile; Feb 5th 2014 at 12:18 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:35 pm
Josh in Spain

The car is a one owner renault 4 - the old 3 gear version.

What is the situation regarding road tax - the vehicle was legal when taken off the road in 95 and simply been stored off road since then as the then owner died. Does road tax still have to be paid for the entre period when not used and if so at what rate? It would be sad to see it scrapped.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 12:48 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There is no such thing as "off road" in Spain; not strictly true, but to take a car off the road temporarily is not that simple.

So basically, Yes the FULL road tax is payable for each year. Plus any outstanding fines etc. Tread warily and you won´t go far wrong - make sure before you part with your hard earned

Davexf
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:06 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I do like classic cars. Owners often invest a small fortune in this as a hobby.

I would suspect this car will need more than four tyres and an exhaust to pass ITV and sadly the cost will be far more than an old Renault 4 is worth. After 19 years sitting iddle, it will certainly need a battery. Does the engine run? Suspension and brakes are likely to be in very poor condition.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:11 pm
Josh in Spain

Hmm - looks like it will simply have to be scrapped, Shame really as there is a strong emotional attatchment due to it having belonged to a long deceased family member many years ago. It would have been more for sentimental reasons if we had taken it on but from what has been said here there seems no point.

PS yes the engine runs fine!

My parents also have an old Citroen AX (33,000km only) which has not been run for 4 years - I think they pay the tax though but it is stored in a garage but does get started up a couple of times every year although not been out on the road in that time. As my parents won't be using the car again I suppose I should get rid of it too before that too becomes a burden!

Last edited by Joddle; Feb 5th 2014 at 1:16 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:19 pm
Started off with nothing

By all means check it out. I am by no means always right and in this instance I would love to be proven wrong. They don't make em like they used to!

Maybe you could ask a local garage to give you an estimate.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joddle
Hmm - looks like it will simply have to be scrapped,
Personally I think it is well worth some serious investigation
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

Hopefully the car will not have to be scrapped, but if it does are you aware of the PIVE scheme? Essentially there is an allowance of €2,000 against the cost of a new car when an old car is scrapped.

I imagine that you do not wish to buy a new car, but someone else might and they may be willing to buy it to claim the allowance.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:24 pm
Josh in Spain

Originally Posted by guirijohn
Hopefully the car will not have to be scrapped, but if it does are you aware of the PIVE scheme? Essentially there is an allowance of €2,000 against the cost of a new car when an old car is scrapped.

I imagine that you do not wish to buy a new car, but someone else might and they may be willing to buy it to claim the allowance.
Did not know about that - worth thinking about - Thanks.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:39 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

I recall circa 30 years ago, seeing a hard top Hispano in a farmyard near to Calpe, it had hens in it.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a scheme here for zero circulation(road) tax for historic cars?

A guy in our village has a Mini Moke version of a Citroen 2CV? and I am pretty sure he doesn't pay a tax on it. Another farmer has an old Land Rover (Santana) and claims he doesn't pay tax on it.

I always think it is a shame when cars get junked because of some stupid scheme to promote buying new cars. The energy used in building a new car far outweighs the extra fuel sused by a so called inefficient car. I n years to come these last ten years will be known as the years of vandalism when perfectly good cars got crushed and the parts couldn't even be stripped off and reused to keep other older cars going.

Last edited by olivefarmer; Feb 5th 2014 at 5:14 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

The link is here

http://www.planpive.net/

It might get around the problem of not having to tax the car.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer

I always think it is a shame when cars get junked because of some stupid scheme to promote buying new cars. The energy used in building a new car far outweighs the extra fuel sused by a so called inefficient car. I n years to come these last ten years will be known as the years of vandalism when perfectly good cars got crushed and the parts couldn't even be stripped off and reused to keep other older cars going.
No one said they can't be stripped, they just have to taken off the road. The scrap yard which takes them will probably strip them if there is anything of value left.

Why is it stupid to try and stimulate new car sales, especially when in a recession? In fact the four Plan Pives so far have resulted in significant new car sales. The official reason is to reduce overall CO2 emissions as the new cars are significantly better in this respect, but I take your point about the build cost in terms of emissions.

If you wish to replace an old car then the price you get from the scheme will be much more than the value of the car, assuming you can find a buyer. Would you feel happy buying a 15 year old car? People in Spain keep their cars far longer than they do in the UK but eventually it will be time for a change.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

I was looking for a Suzuki jeep on Mil Anuncios and lots of the older ones are advertised as tax exempt.So I doubt there would be much outstanding road tax on the Renault.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.