British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Ok don’t shoot the messenger .... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/ok-don%E2%80%99t-shoot-messenger-935089/)

Rosemary Oct 2nd 2020 11:45 am

Re: Ok don’t shoot the messenger ....

Originally Posted by Be happy (Post 12917281)
wow makes you think ! Ok trying to digest all these messages.

So am I right in saying in comparison to above scenario which would happen if we leave it till next year .... or after December in any event ... if we can start it before December it’s £16k in bank account in total ? medical health insurance free after husband is claiming state pension ? If that’s correct is that free for him or us both ? (I won’t be eligible at that point)

we have the income to allow us to come and live and we have our apartment to live in.

we definitely need to sit down and consider consequences of leaving it till after December 😳😳😳😳

When he is eligible for his state pension he can request the S1 form and ask for your name to be put on it as his dependent. You are not automatically included so he will have to provide them with your details.

Rosemary

Lynn R Oct 2nd 2020 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 12917291)
When he is eligible for his state pension he can request the S1 form and ask for your name to be put on it as his dependent. You are not automatically included so he will have to provide them with your details.

Rosemary

Rosemary, when my husband became eligible for his state pension and applied for S1s for himself and for me as his dependant, I was sent a separate S1 form for myself (which showed that I was the beneficiary of a UK pensioner), rather than my name being added to my husband's S1. I was also advised that once I became eligible to receive my own state pension, I should apply for a new S1 form in my own right.

bobd22 Oct 2nd 2020 12:02 pm

Rosemary

You will still need to be legally resident in Spain before end of transition to do as Rosemary says. If you move to live in the EU after 31 Dec you won't be able to get an S1. If you are resident before end of transition then you will be entitled to an S1 even if you reach state pension age after transition ends and your wife would be entitled as your dependant. You really need to make a decision one way or another whether to move before or after transition.

Be happy Oct 2nd 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks for all this info 👍 really appreciate.

Be happy Oct 2nd 2020 12:20 pm

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary he is not eligible until June 2025.

When he retires he has a occupational pension and I will have a pension too and I know we need to do a tax return every year as we have done this previously for a few years when we rented our apartment out.

on face of it I think we need to start process now as consequences of not doing it out weigh considerably.

bobd22 Oct 2nd 2020 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 12917307)
Rosemary, when my husband became eligible for his state pension and applied for S1s for himself and for me as his dependant, I was sent a separate S1 form for myself (which showed that I was the beneficiary of a UK pensioner), rather than my name being added to my husband's S1. I was also advised that once I became eligible to receive my own state pension, I should apply for a new S1 form in my own right.

Yes that's how they do it. On one side of your S1 would be your Husbands details as the S1 holder on the other side are your details as his dependant. Your husband would also have his own seperate S1 with just his details on. I believe that once you reach state pension age you apply for your own S1 which you then register in your own name. I believe its a paperwork excercise really as your health card etc stays the same. The main difference is I believe as a dependant should anything happen to your husband (or wife if its a husband dependant of wife) then you only get the free health care for so long, I think it may be 18 months. So better to have an S1 registered in your own name as a pensioner.

Be happy Oct 3rd 2020 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12917464)
Yes that's how they do it. On one side of your S1 would be your Husbands details as the S1 holder on the other side are your details as his dependant. Your husband would also have his own seperate S1 with just his details on. I believe that once you reach state pension age you apply for your own S1 which you then register in your own name. I believe its a paperwork excercise really as your health card etc stays the same. The main difference is I believe as a dependant should anything happen to your husband (or wife if its a husband dependant of wife) then you only get the free health care for so long, I think it may be 18 months. So better to have an S1 registered in your own name as a pensioner.

thanks 👍