Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Oil Fired Heaters

Oil Fired Heaters

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oil Fired Heaters

Anyone come across oil/diesel fired domestic heaters here in Spain? Costs? Reliability?

Ive seen blown air commercial types but was wondering if you can get domestic versions .?
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oil Fired Heaters

my son and daughter in law have oil filled radiators. Their lounge has a huge open staircase and when they arrived in January for a month in 24 hours their house was warmer than ours which is much smaller and no open staircase. I don't know how much they cost as they inherited them but the whole house was warm and they only have 2 in the lounge.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gill556 View Post
my son and daughter in law have oil filled radiators. Their lounge has a huge open staircase and when they arrived in January for a month in 24 hours their house was warmer than ours which is much smaller and no open staircase. I don't know how much they cost as they inherited them but the whole house was warm and they only have 2 in the lounge.
I mean oil fired not filled .ie central heating boiler type.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
I mean oil fired not filled .ie central heating boiler type.
My FILs have one, they heat very nicely but are costly. He said it was about 3k to get through the winter, but that is Asturias where it is colder.

They have a traditional argot oven as well (think that is what it is called), so they tend to keep that going with wood all day as its cheaper and they can cook on it at the same time
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
My FILs have one, they heat very nicely but are costly. He said it was about 3k to get through the winter, but that is Asturias where it is colder.

They have a traditional argot oven as well (think that is what it is called), so they tend to keep that going with wood all day as its cheaper and they can cook on it at the same time
Now it depends on how many months they had to use it and how big the house is. But it seems very expensive without knowing the mentioned details.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by labus View Post
Now it depends on how many months they had to use it and how big the house is. But it seems very expensive without knowing the mentioned details.
Well the Asturias winter is similar to a British one although it can be sunnier in the day. So you could be using the heating for 6 months at least at night time and 4 months where it is the daytime as well.

The house is around 200-250m I guess, though poorly insulated through the roof.

We very nearly bought a house in Asturias 2 years ago on a cliff overlooking the beach, it was the heating bills that put us off!

Last edited by cricketman; Sep 22nd 2010 at 3:07 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future

Well the Asturias winter is similar to a British one although it can be sunnier in the day. So you could be using the heating for 6 months at least at night time and 4 months where it is the daytime as well.

The house is around 200-250m I guess, though poorly insulated through the roof.

We very nearly bought a house in Asturias 2 years ago on a cliff overlooking the beach, it was the heating bills that put us off!
OK, it's not an energy efficient house, it looses a lot of heat, lots of reasons why. And probably the fuel is expensive.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Anyone come across oil/diesel fired domestic heaters here in Spain? Costs? Reliability?

Ive seen blown air commercial types but was wondering if you can get domestic versions .?

Do you mean an oil fired central heating boiler?

If so yes I have one, I also have a big house but with insulated cavity walls and roof and double glazing but heating oil is expensive in Spain.

Just paid 800 euros for only 1000 litres and doesnt last long. However, I dont skimp on heat so my bills may be different to someone who has it on a time clock and wears layers of clothing under a coat indoors.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

They have a traditional argot oven as well (think that is what it is called),
¿A slang oven? AGA!
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 6:38 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Yes as others have said.
We have central heating that is oil fired & in our case have found it vey good as it keeps the place comfortable.
We use about 600lit over the winter (this will be the 8th) on average, but run the system sensibly of course & keep it well serviced (cheap if you do it yourself)
BTW the house had it fitted when we bought.