British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Oil Fired Heaters (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/oil-fired-heaters-686509/)

Rotor Sep 22nd 2010 1:59 pm

Oil Fired Heaters

Anyone come across oil/diesel fired domestic heaters here in Spain? Costs? Reliability?

Ive seen blown air commercial types but was wondering if you can get domestic versions .?

gill556 Sep 22nd 2010 2:06 pm

Re: Oil Fired Heaters

my son and daughter in law have oil filled radiators. Their lounge has a huge open staircase and when they arrived in January for a month in 24 hours their house was warmer than ours which is much smaller and no open staircase. I don't know how much they cost as they inherited them but the whole house was warm and they only have 2 in the lounge.

Rotor Sep 22nd 2010 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by gill556 (Post 8868074)
my son and daughter in law have oil filled radiators. Their lounge has a huge open staircase and when they arrived in January for a month in 24 hours their house was warmer than ours which is much smaller and no open staircase. I don't know how much they cost as they inherited them but the whole house was warm and they only have 2 in the lounge.

I mean oil fired not filled .ie central heating boiler type.

cricketman Sep 22nd 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8868103)
I mean oil fired not filled .ie central heating boiler type.

My FILs have one, they heat very nicely but are costly. He said it was about 3k to get through the winter, but that is Asturias where it is colder.

They have a traditional argot oven as well (think that is what it is called), so they tend to keep that going with wood all day as its cheaper and they can cook on it at the same time

labus Sep 22nd 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8868177)
My FILs have one, they heat very nicely but are costly. He said it was about 3k to get through the winter, but that is Asturias where it is colder.

They have a traditional argot oven as well (think that is what it is called), so they tend to keep that going with wood all day as its cheaper and they can cook on it at the same time

Now it depends on how many months they had to use it and how big the house is. But it seems very expensive without knowing the mentioned details.

cricketman Sep 22nd 2010 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by labus (Post 8868216)
Now it depends on how many months they had to use it and how big the house is. But it seems very expensive without knowing the mentioned details.

Well the Asturias winter is similar to a British one although it can be sunnier in the day. So you could be using the heating for 6 months at least at night time and 4 months where it is the daytime as well.

The house is around 200-250m I guess, though poorly insulated through the roof.

We very nearly bought a house in Asturias 2 years ago on a cliff overlooking the beach, it was the heating bills that put us off!

labus Sep 22nd 2010 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8868232)
Well the Asturias winter is similar to a British one although it can be sunnier in the day. So you could be using the heating for 6 months at least at night time and 4 months where it is the daytime as well.

The house is around 200-250m I guess, though poorly insulated through the roof.

We very nearly bought a house in Asturias 2 years ago on a cliff overlooking the beach, it was the heating bills that put us off!

OK, it's not an energy efficient house, it looses a lot of heat, lots of reasons why. And probably the fuel is expensive.

whitelinen Sep 22nd 2010 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8868055)
Anyone come across oil/diesel fired domestic heaters here in Spain? Costs? Reliability?

Ive seen blown air commercial types but was wondering if you can get domestic versions .?

Do you mean an oil fired central heating boiler?

If so yes I have one, I also have a big house but with insulated cavity walls and roof and double glazing but heating oil is expensive in Spain.

Just paid 800 euros for only 1000 litres and doesnt last long. However, I dont skimp on heat so my bills may be different to someone who has it on a time clock and wears layers of clothing under a coat indoors.

agoreira Sep 22nd 2010 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 8868177)

They have a traditional argot oven as well (think that is what it is called),

¿A slang oven? :confused: AGA!

VFR Sep 22nd 2010 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rotor (Post 8868055)

Yes as others have said.
We have central heating that is oil fired & in our case have found it vey good as it keeps the place comfortable.
We use about 600lit over the winter (this will be the 8th) on average, but run the system sensibly of course & keep it well serviced (cheap if you do it yourself)
BTW the house had it fitted when we bought.