Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Oh What a Pickle......

Wikiposts

Oh What a Pickle......

Old Jul 26th 2013, 12:13 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh What a Pickle......

.......the Bish has landed himself in.

First he declares Holy War on Wonga.

...only to find that some of his church funds are invested with them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23459932
Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh What a Pickle......

Well it looks like Papiss Cisse is managing to put aside his devout Muslim views on Wonga.

I wonder how much they are paying him.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:02 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Well it looks like Papiss Cisse is managing to put aside his devout Muslim views on Wonga.

I wonder how much they are paying him.
I bet the replica shirt sales are down this year, there again Toon never did have any class.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
.......the Bish has landed himself in.

First he declares Holy War on Wonga.

...only to find that some of his church funds are invested with them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23459932
bet they've sold the £75,000 worth by now, it's just a drop in the ocean of the £5.2 million they have invested
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:38 am
On the road again.

So what's the views regarding him taking on Wonga and putting them out of business ?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

So what's the views regarding him taking on Wonga and putting them out of business ?
Time something was done, been a load of horror stories about them, including people that have once borrowed money and paid it off, suddenly finding they've 'borrowed' money again (which they had no idea about, and had never done) finding they owed a shed load of cash because they hadn't repaid the loan they never asked for and with an interest rate APR of 2750% it came to a huge amount.
They need to be much more regulated, be forced to use interest rates of much less, and to check people out fully before granting the loan.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:53 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Time something was done, been a load of horror stories about them, including people that have once borrowed money and paid it off, suddenly finding they've 'borrowed' money again (which they had no idea about, and had never done) finding they owed a shed load of cash because they hadn't repaid the loan they never asked for and with an interest rate APR of 2750% it came to a huge amount.
They need to be much more regulated, be forced to use interest rates of much less, and to check people out fully before granting the loan.
I agree.
It's sad to see so many desperate and often stupid ppl get pulled into the trap.
Very firm and positive legislation is urgently needed to stop the likes of Wonga in their tracks.
The bish is no doubt well meaning in this instance, but I don't think he has a prayer of pulling it off.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:57 am
Concierge

I agree.
It's sad to see so many desperate and often stupid ppl get pulled into the trap.
Very firm and positive legislation is urgently needed to stop the likes of Wonga in their tracks.
The bish is no doubt well meaning in this instance, but I don't think he has a prayer of pulling it off.
The Government are already talking about how to curb them, and in many areas Credit Unions are springing up, these places offer loans at a very competitive rate to local people, in many ways doing what the original building societes did.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:11 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Wonga are retaliating by setting up a new religion.

Payday lender Wonga.com has stepped up its increasingly fractious trade war with the Church of England by announcing a religion.

As the Church said it was moving into the payday lending business, Wonga said a move into religion was the logical next step for their business.”
Asked if he wanted to take on the Catholic Church he said, “The COE is one thing but when it comes to an ingrained history of child abuse, misplaced guilt, irrational superstition and celibacy we will leave it to the experts.”
Old Jul 26th 2013, 4:31 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of Europeans pay (quite expensive) tax for this, some are compulsory.

Church tax

Amongst my favourites:

The hidden wealth of the Catholic church
Old Jul 26th 2013, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Why doesn't the Government just put a cap on what interest rate can be applied to loans?
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:05 am
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Why doesn't the Government just put a cap on what interest rate can be applied to loans?
Because the return on investment after taking into account bad debt, would make the whole Wonga operation unviable, and send desperate people into the arms of Razor Ron and Associates Co Ltd., who think a cap is something Wayne Rooney gets for standing around in the middle of the pitch at Wembley Stadium.

Not saying I agree with Wonga, but at least they don't send their payment defaulters to A&E.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 6:21 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by notacontrathinker
Because the return on investment after taking into account bad debt, would make the whole Wonga operation unviable, and send desperate people into the arms of Razor Ron and Associates Co Ltd., who think a cap is something Wayne Rooney gets for standing around in the middle of the pitch at Wembley Stadium.

Not saying I agree with Wonga, but at least they don't send their payment defaulters to A&E.
I'd be surprised if they haven't driven quite a few to overdoses and suicide though.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I not only despise these sort of companies but I loathe the fact they target people in the greatest need, specifically advertising in certain media outlets and on certain program breaks and I'd normally be happy to see them all be broken up for god but in the absence of any credit unions to replace them on a local level I fear that the even more loathsome street loan sharks will simply step in. I know The Bank of Dave model is now being discussed on a serious level in Government now and hopefully something will come of it because the 50/50 loan sharks (Whatever you borrow you immediately owe double) "lenders" are not people you want to be in debt to.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 7:31 am
Banned

notacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of lightnotacontrathinker is a glorious beacon of light

I'd be surprised if they haven't driven quite a few to overdoses and suicide though.
Which wouldn't have happened under Razor Ron and the Electrodes.

I'm not defending Wonga, I feel that if they could do the banks for PPI, then they should be able to do Wonga for mis-selling loans. Get Abu Qatada's ex-lawyers involved. They're into good causes and not doing anything at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.