Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

oh the joys of living in spain.............

oh the joys of living in spain.............

Old Aug 9th 2004, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Kes29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: oh the joys of living in spain.............

Originally Posted by jdr
If thats your attitude, you wont be worth a wank to Spain so piss off to the wunderful US of A and annoy them

Sorry I offended you Bob..........am I not entitled to an opinion?
Just how old are you anyway? At your age you should know better!
Really helps with the stereotyped builder image huh!!
Maybe I'm an easy target over the web.....

Just a passing thought here about the thread topic; Anybody seen the 'Builders from hell' programs?

Last edited by Kes29; Aug 9th 2004 at 10:17 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:36 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kes29

Just a passing thought here about the thread topic; Anybody seen the 'Builders from hell' programs?
In reading this whole topic, I guess I have to wonder if these problems are a "Costa Thing", or due to being British or what. I lived in Zaragoza for almost 6 years and never experienced any of the issues I have read about here- other than electrical outages during storms and such. I know Valencianos are considered to be the biggest assholes in the world by most Spanish, and are quite arrogant, even racist towards any non- Valenciano. Or perhaps it's just the flood of Brits in the Costa. I know in ZZA or San Sebastian I have never heard of ongoing issues like all these.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:49 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you totally Ironporer. Costa del Sol is almost entirely British and German. It's rare to hear a Spanish voice there and it's awash with fish n chips and British bars.

Javea where Xabia chick is (and I lived 10k's from), is getting the same way. There a lot, an awful lot, of new development there and the infrasctrure simply can't keep up with it. The Spanish kids fight with the British and German kids from the international school. Whole areas are colonised by the Germans and others by the British. It's almost like the Spanish are being forced out and indeed the locals are being priced out. It's a vacation place that not many Spanish live in year round which is a real shame. At the last cenus it was 60% British and I can't blame the Spanish for not wanting to intergrate with them. Why the hell should they.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Sure you are entitled to an opinion......but if you haven`t tasted the dinner how can you say if its good or bad, no wonder the yanks dont want you.

Why ask childish questions and make pathetic digs at my age and builders, didn't you understand when mummy read you my profile.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Sure you are entitled to an opinion......but if you haven`t tasted the dinner how can you say if its good or bad, no wonder the yanks dont want you.

Why ask childish questions and make pathetic digs at my age and builders, didn't you understand when mummy read you my profile.
Sorry everybody....I'll not reply to this guy again

I'm not having a dig at your age, merely stating that the colourful language you employ is not beffitting to a supposedly more mature individual.
The reference to Bob the Builder; I would think is pretty obviously humour and the remark about stereotypes....as a builder I guess you'll never understand but if I said "academic" to you whether you want to or not you form a mental image based on previous experiences and contacts with academics...this is called a 'stereotype'.
It's frustrating to think about as a stereotypic builder because clearly not everybody should be tagged as a tattooed, foul-mouthed, beer-bellied yob with ill-fitting jeans......but hey, you've not demonstrated that you don't fit the stereotype.....
Laugh it off, take comfort in the knowledge that not everybody is shallow enough to stereotype. I'm certainly not what you'd expect!

What qualifies you to say whether I've tasted or not?
You seem very arrogant and not to mention ignorant to the possibility that there is a world beyond yourself!!

Where is your sense of humour...maybe I really did touch a raw nerve?

Chill out, have a few pints then go build that wall...you never know it might turn out better with the drink!!

Last edited by Kes29; Aug 11th 2004 at 9:37 am.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 7:50 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

boy did I start all that!!!?????

Yes there are lots of brits here, and some don't integrate, and understandably, some spanish,though not all by a long way, don't want anything to do with the brits & other nationalities.
Personally though, we have found no prejudice towards us, even though we chose not to send our kids to the local spanish school.
My older girl (8) spent the first month of her summer holiday at summer school at one of the local spanish schools, mixing with local spanish kids with no problems, playing with them, and even managing to speak spanish all day. (we've only been here 9 months and she spoke almost no spanish at all when we arrived).
When my younger girl (5) had her birthday party in July, we had 8 different nationalities here, including local spanish kids from her dance club (a spanish one, not the local english one).
I'm pretty sure one of the reasons we are beginning to fit in, is because we are making the effort, both to learn the language and to take part in the local community.
After all, we have chosen to live in Spain, so feel we are the ones who should be making the effort.

oh, by the way, the $%/)/(%/)· letting agent who is giving us all the trouble is German!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 6:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xabiachica
boy did I start all that!!!?????

Yes there are lots of brits here, and some don't integrate, and understandably, some spanish,though not all by a long way, don't want anything to do with the brits & other nationalities.
Personally though, we have found no prejudice towards us, even though we chose not to send our kids to the local spanish school.
My older girl (8) spent the first month of her summer holiday at summer school at one of the local spanish schools, mixing with local spanish kids with no problems, playing with them, and even managing to speak spanish all day. (we've only been here 9 months and she spoke almost no spanish at all when we arrived).
When my younger girl (5) had her birthday party in July, we had 8 different nationalities here, including local spanish kids from her dance club (a spanish one, not the local english one).
I'm pretty sure one of the reasons we are beginning to fit in, is because we are making the effort, both to learn the language and to take part in the local community.
After all, we have chosen to live in Spain, so feel we are the ones who should be making the effort.

oh, by the way, the $%/)/(%/)· letting agent who is giving us all the trouble is German!
Dont worry about it, the only thing that upset me was his attitude on Spain being the best in a bucket of shite.... he obviously has never been here
What a laugh he also posted on here that he wants a job in genetic engineering, i bet he gets loads of offers
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Dont worry about it, the only thing that upset me was his attitude on Spain being the best in a bucket of shite.... he obviously has never been here
What a laugh he also posted on here that he wants a job in genetic engineering, i bet he gets loads of offers
I know I said I wouldn't reply to this guy again but I need to straighten this thing out because I think he's taking this all too seriously.

So for Mr Builder (not quips about the trade or the age):
I could go to virtually any country in Europe, that's a fair few countries of which I said Spain was the best....... It was a compliment, a figure of speech.
Why is it a laugh to hope to find gainful employment in "Genetic Engineering" as you put it?
I already contacted an institute of genetics, various universities and research companies out there.....what's funny, I don't get it?

I do so hate this method of communication, it's so easy to read things out of context.

For your information I have been to Spain. I travelled down the Costa Del Sol from Malaga to Gibraltar where the taxi driving is....scary but impressive at the same time. I will be going again very soon, my only concern is the terrorist attacks of late.

Is there much work out there, seriously now? Not for my qualified field but in general? I don't wish to end up behind a bar, not that there is anything wrong with bar work but it's so cliche. I'd like to put the education I've recieved to good use but without speaking the language I think it will be difficult, initially at least. I'm pretty handy at most things though so I'm hoping I can find something.

I don't wish to offend by this next question but are you retired? I know somebody who is a very experienced plumber (30+years) who is also going to Spain and may be looking for work. If you're in the trade you might know if there may be work for him?

I hope you're not overly offended by my humour.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 5:20 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I know I said I wouldn't reply to this guy again but I need to straighten this thing out because I think he's taking this all too seriously.

So for Mr Builder (not quips about the trade or the age):
I could go to virtually any country in Europe, that's a fair few countries of which I said Spain was the best....... It was a compliment, a figure of speech.
Why is it a laugh to hope to find gainful employment in "Genetic Engineering" as you put it?
I already contacted an institute of genetics, various universities and research companies out there.....what's funny, I don't get it?

I do so hate this method of communication, it's so easy to read things out of context.

For your information I have been to Spain. I travelled down the Costa Del Sol from Malaga to Gibraltar where the taxi driving is....scary but impressive at the same time. I will be going again very soon, my only concern is the terrorist attacks of late.

Is there much work out there, seriously now? Not for my qualified field but in general? I don't wish to end up behind a bar, not that there is anything wrong with bar work but it's so cliche. I'd like to put the education I've recieved to good use but without speaking the language I think it will be difficult, initially at least. I'm pretty handy at most things though so I'm hoping I can find something.

I don't wish to offend by this next question but are you retired? I know somebody who is a very experienced plumber (30+years) who is also going to Spain and may be looking for work. If you're in the trade you might know if there may be work for him?

I hope you're not overly offended by my humour.
Funny you should mention your plumber friend, as i have been a plumber for 40+ years, although i dont do much out here as i am sposed to be retiring .
Its a totally different way of plumbing, ie i dont think they have waterboard regulations, but as he did it in UK he should easily cope here, just remember the manana syndrome
Dont worry about terrorist attacks, it could happen anywhere, fright is what they thrive on, its been happening for 3 thousand years, it aint gonna change now.....