Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Offroad motorbiking (greenlaning)

Offroad motorbiking (greenlaning)

Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough
Default Offroad motorbiking (greenlaning)

Is a tricky business over here. At least doing it legally! I'm just starting out and around Granada, although there are plenty of places for hardened Enduro riders, it's a little more difficult to find those nice easy routes which are just enjoyable rather than hardcore, and don't result in receiving huge fines.

I was just wondering if anyone else on here shares the same passtime, knows of any Andalucia based clubs (again not extreme enduro) or of any spots to visit.

Mike
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offroad motorbiking (greenlaning)

Here you go> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4qzh6YBW1Q
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you realise the hunting season has started, if you try that stuff offroad round here disturbing the wildlife you are likely to get shot at!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough

Yeah... that vid's about my current level. I was kind of looking for the next step up!

Alhaurin isn't that far away though and their website says there are lots of trails nearby... Thanks for the link!

Last edited by 82mph; Oct 26th 2012 at 2:12 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Hope you realise the hunting season has started, if you try that stuff offroad round here disturbing the wildlife you are likely to get shot at!
It wouldn't be the first time either!! Don't they do eye tests for hunting licenses anymore?!
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:38 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 82mph
It wouldn't be the first time either!! Don't they do eye tests for hunting licenses anymore?!
Nah, anything they see moving they just shoot it.
They even peppered the plastic blinds on the back of my house.
Not quite sure which is the biggest menace, the bikers or the so called hunters.

Ban the lot of them I say.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Nah, anything they see moving they just shoot it.
They even peppered the plastic blinds on the back of my house.
Not quite sure which is the biggest menace, the bikers or the so called hunters.

Ban the lot of them I say.
Hear hear! Though the "hunters" pay a lot of money for the privilege, especially the foreigners, it still doesn't mean they can hit what they aim at.

But at least it's not as bad here as Pennsylvania:

Girl Mistaken For Skunk Gets Shot By Relative
Old Oct 28th 2012, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

One can but hope. Living in rural Wales means lots of knob heads in 4x4s/quads/noisey bikes turn up seemingly intent on ruining the landscape
Old Oct 28th 2012, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Not all knob heads, as you so eloquently put it, are out to ruin anything! As with all areas of life there are of course inconsiderate offroaders, but the vast majority, at least that I know, go to great lengths to cause as little disruption to nature, the landscape and local residents as possible. Normally leaving less damage in their wake than your average group of walkers.

Tarring us all with the same brush and the 'ban them all' attitude demonstrated on this board and all too often in life is what brings about ridiculous, overly prohibitive laws, as opposed to sensible management measures, which would allow all those interested to enjoy the surroundings in a mutually respectful manner. As it is, the small majority of knob heads on all sides are allowed to spoil things for everybody.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 5:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking for reasonable discussion and thought provoking debate,

you are on the wrong forum.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not all knob heads, as you so eloquently put it, are out to ruin anything! As with all areas of life there are of course inconsiderate offroaders, but the vast majority, at least that I know, go to great lengths to cause as little disruption to nature, the landscape and local residents as possible. Normally leaving less damage in their wake than your average group of walkers.

Tarring us all with the same brush and the 'ban them all' attitude demonstrated on this board and all too often in life is what brings about ridiculous, overly prohibitive laws, as opposed to sensible management measures, which would allow all those interested to enjoy the surroundings in a mutually respectful manner. As it is, the small majority of knob heads on all sides are allowed to spoil things for everybody.
I'm trying to empathise, I really am! Please could you give me an example of one of these "ridiculous, overly prohibitive laws" in force here in Andalucia?
Old Oct 28th 2012, 6:51 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair 82mph, my remark was a little tongue in cheek as I myself have been on the other side of the fence having been involved involved in off road biking as well as a spot of hunting many moons ago, though not Spanish style thankfully.

Mostly the biking was done on my own patch with a few pals and even then I got the odd complaint or two, so I know how difficult it can be.

However now that I enjoy a more peaceful lifestyle in a tranquil location, I tend to curse the off-roaders whenever they come within a mile of me.

Problem is not only the damage off-roaders can cause to the tracks and land in the campo but the actual noise they make is somewhat excessive and travels such long distances, disturbing peace-loving folk like myself who might even be quite a distance away.

I can imagine that finding the right spot where little damage is done and minimum disturbance is caused whilst having the necessary permissions can be very difficult.

A couple of enterprising farmers up my way back in the UK with a good acreage of mostly unproductive land way out in the wiles of wanny far away from most habitation, have started up their own off roading centres and done reasonably well from it.
Wether such places exist in Spain I know not, but they do seem to be quite a good idea from everyones point of view.

By the way, why do they call it greenlaning, as I can't imagine the lanes will be very green after you guys have thundered round a time or two ?
Only asking like.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Oct 28th 2012 at 6:57 pm. Reason: add on
Old Oct 28th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wiles of wanny ???? Thought foreign languages weren't allowed here!
Old Oct 28th 2012, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

I'm trying to empathise, I really am! Please could you give me an example of one of these "ridiculous, overly prohibitive laws" in force here in Andalucia?
I believe they call it the 'ley de montes'. Have a read of it. If you can find any way to legally ride off road, please let me know!

DD, there is one place near to where I live where you can pay and ride, trouble free, 365 days a year. The problem is, it's quite extreme! I gave it a go once and spent most of the day on my backside/shoulders/head, half destroyed the bike and spent the evening in A&E! Understandably I suppose, if someone is willing to dedicate their land to this purpose, they will likely trick it up for serious bikers as it will prove more popular. I don't fit that category yet!

Also, one of the reasons I like the idea of offroad riding, similarly to why I cycle, is the beautiful places that you can encounter by chance. If I spend all my offroading days on a closed farm, looking at the same scenery every time, I think I'll get bored pretty quickly.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 7:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I gave it a go once and spent most of the day on my backside/shoulders/head, half destroyed the bike and spent the evening in A&E!
That's nature's way of telling you you shouldn't be doing it! I walk just about every day in some beautiful countryside and I'd be mortified if they allowed bikers, 4x4's etc to ruin the place. Stick to cycling, it's healthier and so much quieter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.