Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Off road vehicle-where is legal?

Off road vehicle-where is legal?

Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off road vehicle-where is legal?

If you have an off road vehicle for getting to and from campo where can you use it without ITV, insurance etc.
Now I would presume on your own land but not sure that is still true.Moreover if you live in a village and have land spread over a large area and have to use the shared track to get to it is it legal?
One local got done for riding up the rambla which leads to the track to his land.
Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off road vehicle-where is legal?

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
If you have an off road vehicle for getting to and from campo where can you use it without ITV, insurance etc.
Now I would presume on your own land but not sure that is still true.Moreover if you live in a village and have land spread over a large area and have to use the shared track to get to it is it legal?
One local got done for riding up the rambla which leads to the track to his land.
Thanks
It safe to assume that if you are on a track thats open to the public you need to be legal ,imagine if you squash a cortijero , who`s going to pay for his death/injuries? if you have no insurance you may find yourself having to sell up or go to jail! that said I`m sure you can do what you want on your own land.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
It safe to assume that if you are on a track thats open to the public you need to be legal ,imagine if you squash a cortijero , who`s going to pay for his death/injuries? if you have no insurance you may find yourself having to sell up or go to jail! that said I`m sure you can do what you want on your own land.
Thank you for reply,
I wonder if this applies to dumper trucks? There are loads here and some are matriculated and some aren't. I don't know if they come under the heading of agricultural as they don't appear to need ITV but I assume that matriculated (or not) ones must also need insurance for the same reasons you stated.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting conundrum when a track crosses your land - I believe (not sure) that the track is actually your land too, so technically using the track you'd be on your own land however I also understand (around here) that all tracks amount to public access so there's possibly nowhere 'safe' to use an uninsured vehicle....?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fionamw
Interesting conundrum when a track crosses your land - I believe (not sure) that the track is actually your land too, so technically using the track you'd be on your own land however I also understand (around here) that all tracks amount to public access so there's possibly nowhere 'safe' to use an uninsured vehicle....?
Round here all tracks are the responsibility of all the owners who have access to their land from that track. Upkeep is a shared financialy (or supposed to be) therefore it appears that the track is privately owned.
I know in the UK it was not illegal to use an uninsured vehicle on private land, I don't know if that has changed.
Find it hard to believe that the Spanish would insist on insurance for campo workers going about their bizz but things have changed a lot in Spain these past few years with the law.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

a workmate was fined 1800€ for having no insurance.. and he was on a track.

its public land. it needs to be legal.

and a car should always have itv. and the taxes paid.

and tractors, trailers, etc etc need itv too. see the SUR in english from last friday (4.2.11).
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
a workmate was fined 1800€ for having no insurance.. and he was on a track.

its public land. it needs to be legal.

and a car should always have itv. and the taxes paid.

and tractors, trailers, etc etc need itv too. see the SUR in english from last friday (4.2.11).
If you live in the campo would you need to drive your dumper truck or tractor to the nearest ITV station or do they have another system?
I assume there must be another system as where I am it would take all day to drive to nearest ITV in a dumper truck.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
If you live in the campo would you need to drive your dumper truck or tractor to the nearest ITV station or do they have another system?
I assume there must be another system as where I am it would take all day to drive to nearest ITV in a dumper truck.
You have to drive to the nearest ITV station if you not are lucky to live in an area where they just have started up mobile ITV. But that is just in a few areas yet.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonnyx
You have to drive to the nearest ITV station if you not are lucky to live in an area where they just have started up mobile ITV. But that is just in a few areas yet.
This demonstrates just one of a multitude of moronic laws set up by Spanish funcionarios/parasites ,in this case its the builder / farmer who suffers .
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonnyx
Mobile service, that's interesting.
Still puzzled as to what agricultural machinery is covered by this new law.
e.g. caterpillar track ploughing machines? they are only used a couple of weeks every year and usually have to drive up the tracks to get to the land.
Anyway, can you just confirm that dumper trucks need ITV and insurance.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 6:30 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I was told there is no such thing as "off road" in Spain. Even to drive your quad bike around your own garden, you have to have the full monty - taxed, insured, ITV if necessary etc.

Davexf