Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Octopus Energy in Spain.

Octopus Energy in Spain.

Old Jun 13th 2022, 9:47 am
Just Joined

sarah999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Octopus Energy in Spain.

My Endesa One Luz traiff ends in July. I’ve been with Endesa for around 17 years.

It does sound bad but I’ve never fully understood my bill and it looks like I really need to start getting my head around finding a deal.

My issue is I am quite reluctant to change suppliers. I haven’t changed in the 17 years even though I don’t fully understand it either!!!

In the UK by contrast I am with Octopus Energy and I understand my bill!!!! I am very clued up and always have a handle on it dispute the rates being high.
Octopus has just launched in Spain and I am very tempted to change to them as customer service is amazing! Plus you can monitor your use really easily on the website. If that was in English!!!

I messaged them asking if they would consider an English version of the website the same as Endesa has and they said they would defiantly do that!

They asked for any further feedback as they’d love to fill this gap for ex-pats who like me struggle. Any suggestions other than a cheaper rate? lol

Does anyone regularly switch suppliers in Spain?

This is the Octopus Spain Website www.octopusenergy.es I said I would pass on any other suggestions from ex-pats.

PS I haven't just joined I just lost my login. I used to run the Eye On Isla Canela forum a few moons ago!

Old Jun 13th 2022, 12:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Octopus Energy in Spain.

I have changed 3 times. It is a totally pain free process which takes just minutes. The change happens about 10 days later. The old supplier sends you a bill up to the change. All they need los your CUPS number. There is a comparison site here https://comparador.cnmc.gob.es/
Old Jun 13th 2022, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ Best info ever. Thank you.

Even better for lazy people like me, you can just scan the QR code on your last bill and it does it all for you
Old Jun 13th 2022, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, guys.

Yes, I got my quote on the Octopusenergy.es website. It was in Spanish but it's quite obvious what the rates mean. I used auto-translate in the end though as I do prefer to use a site in English. Although I understand we are in Spain :-0

The Endesa bill makes it is so flipping complicated though. I am hoping if I switch to Octopus Spain they will have the same usage information. I don't submit my meter reads so I am guessing the building has smart meters.

Apart from the costs is there anything you would be weary of switching to another supplier from Endesa? Their customer service isn't great and I am really looking forward to a better experience. I really need to make sure i keep a track of my usuage.

Old Jun 13th 2022, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

Is there any reason looking at Octopus Energy you wouldn't sign up with them?
Old Jun 13th 2022, 5:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I would not recommend switching until you have checked the government website. The rates are constantly changing and one option can easily be twice that of another.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
I would not recommend switching until you have checked the government website. The rates are constantly changing and one option can easily be twice that of another.
Is that like a price cap? Octopus Energy Spain like the UK seems to offer a fixed flat rate or a flexible one. Before I take a fixed is there like a price cap the same as the UK. If so can anyone point me in the right direction please so I can compare my quote?
Old Jun 14th 2022, 7:11 am
Just Joined

So I have been reading that there is a fixed cap on electricity prices in Spain which is due to be reviewed on the 30th June 22. Is that right?

Like in the UK it is a case of just finding a rate below the cap which seems to be 40 euros a kWh? I have been paying much less than this as I had a fixed with Endesa. It runs out on the 7th July.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Hi

My fixed deal is coming to an end and I am trying to get my head around quotes.

I get that the 2.0TD time slots last year mean that I will have 3 times slots for different prices of energy.

What I can't work out is the potencia. It's quoted as an annual figure per kW. Can anyone explain it to me? I am feeling pretty dim.Punta (P1):

32,99600 €/kW/año

Valle (P2):

6,69155 €/kW/año
Thanks!!!

Last edited by Rosemary; Jun 14th 2022 at 8:53 am.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 8:55 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As your latest thread is still about electric bills I have merged the two threads.

Please do not open multiple threads on the same subject.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2022, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Ok thanks Rosemary, I thought maybe i would get more of a response if someone knew and spotted it in title about the potencia
Old Jun 14th 2022, 9:20 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah999
Ok thanks Rosemary, I thought maybe i would get more of a response if someone knew and spotted it in title about the potencia
Potencia is power. Your supply is limited to the maximum power, measured in kW. You will see the relevant standing charge on your bill. Similar to UK standing charge.
It is not rocket science and no more complicated than a UK utility bill. Perhaps you would like to scan a copy of your bill (with your name and address deleted)?
Old Jun 14th 2022, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

There are few good deals around now as everyone is trying to reduce their facturas. For most expats you should prioritise if your provider will provide an English speaking service. It's no good trying to deal with a Spanish customer service operator if you dont have good Spanish. I use Iberdrola and go to the office but I manage in Spanish- although the different rates and conditions can be difficult to understand. The fixed rate is the simplest and better than the default package which is the 3 time periods. TBH I have dealt with this by simply cutting my consumption. Firstly clean fridge so that it operates well. Only put water heater on when you need a shower and adjust temp so you dont need to add cold water. Unplug tv at night and any other devices that remain idle. Use a kettle to boil water for cooking and washing up. Use washing machine at 30 degrees on short wash and once a week. Cook meals that can be frozen. Dont use heaters in winter if you can use hot water bottles and more jumpers and woolen blankets. In summer dont use AC or fans but have quick cold showers and dont allow sun to heat your place too much ( dont sun bathe as it makes you uncomfortable at night). I have reduced by consumption by a third and also managed to keep my facturas at same level approx.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Potencia is power. Your supply is limited to the maximum power, measured in kW. You will see the relevant standing charge on your bill. Similar to UK standing charge.
It is not rocket science and no more complicated than a UK utility bill. Perhaps you would like to scan a copy of your bill (with your name and address deleted)?
Here we go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
bill (2).pdf (564.9 KB, 123 views)
Old Jun 14th 2022, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
There are few good deals around now as everyone is trying to reduce their facturas. For most expats you should prioritise if your provider will provide an English speaking service. It's no good trying to deal with a Spanish customer service operator if you dont have good Spanish. I use Iberdrola and go to the office but I manage in Spanish- although the different rates and conditions can be difficult to understand. The fixed rate is the simplest and better than the default package which is the 3 time periods. TBH I have dealt with this by simply cutting my consumption. Firstly clean fridge so that it operates well. Only put water heater on when you need a shower and adjust temp so you dont need to add cold water. Unplug tv at night and any other devices that remain idle. Use a kettle to boil water for cooking and washing up. Use washing machine at 30 degrees on short wash and once a week. Cook meals that can be frozen. Dont use heaters in winter if you can use hot water bottles and more jumpers and woolen blankets. In summer dont use AC or fans but have quick cold showers and dont allow sun to heat your place too much ( dont sun bathe as it makes you uncomfortable at night). I have reduced by consumption by a third and also managed to keep my facturas at same level approx.
All great ideas!!!! Thanks.

I am VERY switched on with my energy use in the UK. I even blog about it but haven't spent that much time looking at my Spanish energy bill until now. I really need to get my head around it all!

That's why I like the idea of using Octopus Energy in Spain. They have great graphics and energy use data. If the journeys the same on their Spanish offering I will ave my feet up in no time lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.