Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Obtaining residency without renting or buying beforehand

Obtaining residency without renting or buying beforehand

Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining residency without renting or buying beforehand

I think you will also find this very useful, it was updated a week ago.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp...ON-NEEDED2.pdf

This is the advice on the documentation need for applying for residency in any region of Spain.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/wp...18English1.pdf

Last edited by Smithy73; Apr 27th 2018 at 10:43 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yorkshire Princess is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rosemary, I'll try him next I think.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks to you for your help with this. Could you give me the name of the other gestor you can recommend?
Old Apr 27th 2018, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshire Princess
Many thanks to you for your help with this. Could you give me the name of the other gestor you can recommend?
Pedro Nogueroles Juan
Telf: 96 287 19 49
CRISTINA JUAN SELFA CORREDURIA DE SEGUROS SL, C/Barcelona 1 bajo 46702 de Gandia

Pedro speaks perfect English and I know for a fact that he walks his clients through the residency process, as I have seen him in the Gandia police station doing just that.
He is also not expensive. I think he charged me €50 to set up my Autonomo, make appointments and come with me to the tax office etc.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spainrico

and I suggest you change abogado he/she does not seem helpful.
The other bit of advice I will offer... Is that if you are buying a Villa/House (perhaps less important for apartments in town), you need a good lawyer and then when that lawyer gives advice, you need to take it on board whether you like the advice or not.

Buying property here is not like the UK and there are pitfalls etc.
You want a good lawyer who will work for you, go through the paperwork in detail and a lawyer who will be prepared to iron out the issues before you buy... assuming this is possible, as on some properties it is not!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Smithy73
The other bit of advice I will offer... Is that if you are buying a Villa/House (perhaps less important for apartments in town), you need a good lawyer and then when that lawyer gives advice, you need to take it on board whether you like the advice or not.

Buying property here is not like the UK and there are pitfalls etc.
You want a good lawyer who will work for you, go through the paperwork in detail and a lawyer who will be prepared to iron out the issues before you buy... assuming this is possible, as on some properties it is not!
We've spent a lot of time researching buying a property and getting residency and it seems a mountain of bureaucracy awaits. We just want to live in Spain legally and above board and will do whatever it takes. It's a balmy ten degrees in God's own county today! Much as we love Yorkshire, it's a bit of a no-brainer really.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

It´s not as bad a it seems... re buying and getting residency.
Being here is very rewarding after all of that.
23C today in Gandia

Good luck to you both!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Thanks!

Actually, Gandia is one of the place we were thinking of buying in. I've read that some places in Spain have had terrible flooding (I believe it happened in Ontinyent I think the year before last). Has that happened anywhere in or around Gandia? I've also heard that Valencia as a whole is prone to wild fires (hot climate and lots of trees). I've also been reading stuff about people having their homes bull-dozed and the land sold to developers and that despite the Spanish government intervening it is still going on. Although these two thing could happen anywhere in Spain I guess.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Thanks!

Actually, Gandia is one of the place we were thinking of buying in. I've read that some places in Spain have had terrible flooding (I believe it happened in Ontinyent I think the year before last). Has that happened anywhere in or around Gandia? I've also heard that Valencia as a whole is prone to wild fires (hot climate and lots of trees). I've also been reading stuff about people having their homes bull-dozed and the land sold to developers and that despite the Spanish government intervening it is still going on. Although these two thing could happen anywhere in Spain I guess.
I am not aware of Gandia having any issues with flooding (although someone may correct me later, we have been here 2 years) ... We live in the mountains outside and come under the town hall of Barx.
There have been a few bad gota frias since we have been here... think 200mm of rain in one day (for three days) and there was almost a problem down in Oliva last time, but no problems in Gandia itself.

Valencia is very green and beautiful which is why I love it and yes the area can be prone to wild fires in the hot summers. There are huge water pans on the egde of this village for use of the helicopters when needed. There was a recent fire here near Barx in 2013 I think... which consumed some of the trees on the mountain side.. (no damage to property and was contained) Generally the infrastructure here in Valencia is able to keep this issue under control unlike Portugal for example.

Forest fires wouldn´t effect you if you live in Gandia etc.

If you buy a legal house on land classified as Urbano, that is never going to happen to you.

If you buy a house on Rustico classified land and that house is Legal, then you shouldn´t have any issues either... Although sometimes the local town hall will wish to reclassify Rustico land as Urbano.... which means generally new roads, street lights and further infrastructure.... The down side to this is the local residents pay for the work. Low IBI payments (council tax equivalent) means the local town hall doesn´t have the money to pay for this itself for example.

But then people come here and purchase houses or villas that are illegal or built on park land/protected land. They take no legal advice or use the advice of the lawyer working for the agent or builder and are then surprised later on > these are the stories you will read about!

You would be surprised, it also depends on the region. My local town hall doesn´t normally enforce demolition orders either......

Get a good lawyer and you will be fine. If you are buying an apartment in the centre of Gandia, none of the above will effect you etc.

Last edited by Smithy73; Apr 28th 2018 at 1:57 am.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

We've been warned about the dangers of buying on rustic land and how you will be expected to pay when rustic land is urbanised.

We visited Gandia, Oliva and Ontinyent last year. It struck us just how much greener it is around there than other parts of Spain. And oranges as far as the eye could see.

Thanks for the info. Enjoy your 23c heat!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 4:05 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We've been warned about the dangers of buying on rustic land and how you will be expected to pay when rustic land is urbanised.

We visited Gandia, Oliva and Ontinyent last year. It struck us just how much greener it is around there than other parts of Spain. And oranges as far as the eye could see.

Thanks for the info. Enjoy your 23c heat!
28 in Ontinyent today!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smithy73
The OP was talking about Valencia not the Costa del Sol
Also her lawyer has confirmed that this is what is needed here.
Hence I said "I know nothing of your area and as people have said it varies by region" .
Old Apr 28th 2018, 9:42 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

We've spent a lot of time researching buying a property and getting residency and it seems a mountain of bureaucracy awaits. We just want to live in Spain legally and above board and will do whatever it takes. It's a balmy ten degrees in God's own county today! Much as we love Yorkshire, it's a bit of a no-brainer really.
Smithy is giving you some sound advice & contacts.

? Why do people from Yorkshire consider it God's own country, guess it was that Parkinson fella on TV always bleating he was from Yorkshire & thinking he was some how superior.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

You're the lucky ones!!!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Actually neither myself or my husband were born in Yorkshire. We don't watch cricket or wear flat caps nor do we own a whippet! (We're more cat people ourselves!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.