Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Obtaining an NIE number

Obtaining an NIE number

Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of
Default Re: Obtaining an NIE number

We bought in November and we needed to have NIEs.

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
The first property we bought ( some years ago now) we bought with passport only as we were not here permanently.
My brother has just bought a holiday home in Murcia and did not have NIE either.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laulah
I am looking to create soon a site for expats coming to work to Barcelona with all necessary and especially UP TO DATE information about NIE, since there is so much incorrect information online
Well good luck with that
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking to create soon a site for expats coming to work to Barcelona with all necessary and especially UP TO DATE information about NIE, since there is so much incorrect information online
Mmmm see what you mean, you have given the wrong info for this area.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Registration must be completed within 3 months stay in Spain but in practise it’s better to complete as soon as you have decided to stay and work in Spain. Why? Because even if you were an EU/EEA citizen and you woudn’t need a visa or work permit, you need a NIE number.

It is required if you are having any financial, social or professional interests in Spain – which means basically all activities you are going to do if settling down here. It’s similar to Spaniards NIF (Número de Identificación Fiscal) which serves as a fiscal identification number. Opening a bank account, paying taxes, signing an internet contract or using social services is impossible without NIE.

Easiest way is to hit two birds with one stone and apply for registration at Foreigner’s office. You will be issued a NIE number automatically when completing your registration.

1. Visit to Foreigner’s Office

You need to go to Foreigner’s Office in person to apply for registration on the Central Register of Foreigners. The Foreigner’s Office in Barcelona is located at Calle Balmes 192 (closest metro is Diagonal) and it’s actually a police station. Opening hours are from 9am – 2pm but it’s highly recommendable to arrive before 9am in order to avoid hours of standing in a line.

2. Documents you need to bring with you

• 2 copies of completed EX16 application form which can be downloaded here http://www.map.es/servicios/servicio...nt_es/EX16.pdf
• Your passport + 2 copies of it
• For non-EU/EEA citizens, proof of legal entry into Spain

3. Paying the fee

First you need to queue to register yourself and hand over your documents. In case your application is accepted, you will be given a receipt which you have to keep and a payment form of fee approximately 10 € which you need to pay to a certain bank. Keep in mind that not all banks are able to receive this payment so you need to ask Foreigner’s Office where to go.

After you have paid the fee and got the proof of payment head back to the Foreigner’s Office. Go to stand on another line and present it to the officer who will then pass you your residence certificate which contains the NIE number. Everything is valid immediately.

Thanks for that laulah, we're moving to sitges and were under the impression it would have to be vilanova i la geltru we'd need to travel to. Do you know if this is the case? Or would it be barcelona after all? We move two weeks today, I just want to make sure we know everything we need to know!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:41 am
Just Joined

laulah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Hi there, I (and probably others finding this topic relevant) would appreciate very much if you could clarify where I went wrong When I got my NIE last August the process was this and I checked with a friend who got it in January that it was still all same. If they have now made changes again I did not find any new information about them?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:50 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I (and probably others finding this topic relevant) would appreciate very much if you could clarify where I went wrong When I got my NIE last August the process was this and I checked with a friend who got it in January that it was still all same. If they have now made changes again I did not find any new information about them?
I think the big problem is that it will vary a bit from area to area, no matter what the 'official' way is.

The forms say nothing about needing photos - but a few people in my area have told me that they needed photos recently

& btw - your info would be for registering as a 'resident' (as distinct from signing on the padron) - just for a NIE it's the EX14
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Obtaining an NIE number

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I think the big problem is that it will vary a bit from area to area, no matter what the 'official' way is.

The forms say nothing about needing photos - but a few people in my area have told me that they needed photos recently

& btw - your info would be for registering as a 'resident' (as distinct from signing on the padron) - just for a NIE it's the EX14
Yes 5 years ago Huelva Province required 2 photo's as well as the copies of the passport photo page and if you do not have everything it is a panic to dash out and get whatever is needed to rejoin the queue before the shutters come down at 2 pm. As jdr has said before take everything in triplicate and some things you do not think you need as well then you will not be caught short. OK you might take some stuff back home but at least you ony make the one trip in our case 40km.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:21 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Yes 5 years ago Huelva Province required 2 photo's as well as the copies of the passport photo page and if you do not have everything it is a panic to dash out and get whatever is needed to rejoin the queue before the shutters come down at 2 pm. As jdr has said before take everything in triplicate and some things you do not think you need as well then you will not be caught short. OK you might take some stuff back home but at least you ony make the one trip in our case 40km.
exactly - when we did our NIE a long time ago it was different - & so was Residencia (though we didn't have to do that then)

best to take everything

here, you go & make an appointment on the Friday for the following week (then it's apparently just in & out)- so you can ask on the Friday exactly what you need for the appointment

well - that's correct as of last week...........................................
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FilSheff
Thanks for that laulah, we're moving to sitges and were under the impression it would have to be vilanova i la geltru we'd need to travel to. Do you know if this is the case? Or would it be barcelona after all? We move two weeks today, I just want to make sure we know everything we need to know!
Sitges and vilanova are a 20 min train ride to Barca so it won't be a problem.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
That's why I wished them good luck
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:33 am
Just Joined

laulah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, glad to help

Unfortunately I am not completely sure about Sitges Foreigners Office either but as mentioned above maybe you just come to get your NIE from Barcelona if you are not sure?

Also for the others, I am aware of the fact that the process seems to vary in different cities (which is strange since the instructions are written clearly on the form which is used all over Spain) and that's why I can only advise those coming to Barcelona
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We have had lots of discussions on this subject, we came to the conclusion that every area is different and every person you see at the police station has a different idea of the rules.
This area you need to make an appointment as the police chief didn`t like all the people queing from 06.00 outside his police station.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

FilSheff is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, glad to help

Unfortunately I am not completely sure about Sitges Foreigners Office either but as mentioned above maybe you just come to get your NIE from Barcelona if you are not sure?

Also for the others, I am aware of the fact that the process seems to vary in different cities (which is strange since the instructions are written clearly on the form which is used all over Spain) and that's why I can only advise those coming to Barcelona
What concerns me really is the fact that I have been told you are turned away if you arrive at the wrong foreigner's office. Seeing as sitges is in the middle of barcelona and vilanova, I don't want to waste valuable time travelling to the wrong one. Does anyone at all know the correct office to visit for new sitges residents? Thanks!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Obtaining an NIE number

What concerns me really is the fact that I have been told you are turned away if you arrive at the wrong foreigner's office. Seeing as sitges is in the middle of barcelona and vilanova, I don't want to waste valuable time travelling to the wrong one. Does anyone at all know the correct office to visit for new sitges residents? Thanks!
There is a Spanish Government website that lists all foreigner's offices and it may be that on a different page they give the coverage of each one. I seem to remember when this discussion last broke out say 5yrs ago jdr posted the link. It may be in Free Beer!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Trouble is this is Spain, my NIE I got at Fuengirola, my padron at Benalmadena, my residencia although the appointment and forms were got at Fuengirola the guy that took them said he couldn`t do it and I had to go to Torremolinos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.