Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Obtaining an NIE number

Obtaining an NIE number

Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all
Default Re: Obtaining an NIE number

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
The first property we bought ( some years ago now) we bought with passport only as we were not here permanently.
My brother has just bought a holiday home in Murcia and did not have NIE either.
My brother has just bought a holiday home without an NIE but has been told he will have to have one when the deal is completed (in Murcia). I couldn't complete on my property without my NIE (in Malaga). Maybe you/he did have an NIE that you just didn't know about (applied for on your/his behalf as part of the deal)?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You certainly need an NIE to purchase property on the CDS. I also think it is now not possible to get a Lawyer to apply for you. We bought with just a passport many years ago but things have changed.
My brother bought off plan a year ago, so it may have changed recently or maybe it's different where you buy.
As jackytoo said, in the past you didn't need NIE to buy, sorry if I have given out of date info.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that's what I told them - really won't need an interpreter

unfortunately the other person has also told them they need their birth & marriage certs - so one of them has returned to the to get them

more unnecessary expense!

although of course they're bound to need them at some point for something
The only time we ever needed those was at SS for my pension and the misses as my dependant.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
I was merely pointing out the options to the OP IF they were not here permanently, as they did not specify time.
You certainly don't need an NIE to buy a property.
Of course you can convert the account but if you didn't know that and didn't convert it the account would be frozen as it is illegal.
You used to need an NIE even to buy a TV at one time.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that the law has changed. You certainly used to be able to purchase with just your passport but not now - certainly not in Costa Blanca North.

I am going with clients next week to do NIEs so will post what the position is in Benidorm.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 5:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by SueG
I think you will find that the law has changed. You certainly used to be able to purchase with just your passport but not now - certainly not in Costa Blanca North.

I am going with clients next week to do NIEs so will post what the position is in Benidorm.
Do you have an appointment system there ?
We do, cos the police chief didn`t like the queues of people outside his police station.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Do you have an appointment system there ?
We do, cos the police chief didn`t like the queues of people outside his police station.
No longer any queues - we take them down about midday and are usually back by 2.00 p.m. at the latest! We then go down about a fortnight later to collect the certificates.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

No longer any queues - we take them down about midday and are usually back by 2.00 p.m. at the latest! We then go down about a fortnight later to collect the certificates.
Do they require any passport photo? Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2010, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Bakeja is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely no photos required and it is a simple enough process to get a NIE these days, particularly if you are resident or plan to be. You just do the EX16 form to get an EU residents certificate and the NIE is allocated at the same time.

You have to make sure you are in the right foreigners' office for the municipality of your address or they won't do it.

In my experience they like to see the passport copied in two places - the photo bit and the inside front cover.

The certificate should be ready for collection in a couple of days.

The one headache that remains is the variation between areas in terms of where to go and the queuing system. Here on the Costa del Sol there quite a variety of systems, some involving appointments ahead of time and some with just queueing. Best to check on a local forum maybe?
Old Apr 11th 2010, 11:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Bakeja
Definitely no photos required and it is a simple enough process to get a NIE these days, particularly if you are resident or plan to be. You just do the EX16 form to get an EU residents certificate and the NIE is allocated at the same time.

You have to make sure you are in the right foreigners' office for the municipality of your address or they won't do it.

In my experience they like to see the passport copied in two places - the photo bit and the inside front cover.

The certificate should be ready for collection in a couple of days.

The one headache that remains is the variation between areas in terms of where to go and the queuing system. Here on the Costa del Sol there quite a variety of systems, some involving appointments ahead of time and some with just queueing. Best to check on a local forum maybe?
I have to go along with that, we arranged an appointment at Fuengirola as we live a few minutes from the police station.
She gave us the forms to fill in and told us what to bring, turned up at the appointment, everything was great till he went to print out the certificates.
I can`t do it here, you have to go to Torremolinos.
Great so a 25 minute trip to the police station there, have you made an appointment she asked ?
Yeah at Fuengirola, but they can`t do it there as I piled all the paperwork on her desk.
WTF are they playing at or words to that effect in Spanish she said as she took the papers and printed off our certificates.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:12 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I have to go along with that, we arranged an appointment at Fuengirola as we live a few minutes from the police station.
She gave us the forms to fill in and told us what to bring, turned up at the appointment, everything was great till he went to print out the certificates.
Great so a 25 minute trip to the police station there, have you made an appointment she asked ?
Yeah at Fuengirola, but they can`t do it there as I piled all the paperwork on her desk.
WTF are they playing at or words to that effect in Spanish she said as she took the papers and printed off our certificates.
as far as I was aware we had to go to Denia from Javea

but I have recently heard of others from Javea who have been to Calpe & Benidorm for theirs
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
They must have been having an off day! Never had a problem at Fuengirola including original certificate and two changes of address.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnxa
as far as I was aware we had to go to Denia from Javea

but I have recently heard of others from Javea who have been to Calpe & Benidorm for theirs

Depends what address you put on the form
Old Apr 11th 2010, 1:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what address you put on the form
oh I see.....................
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:11 am
Just Joined

laulah is an unknown quantity at this point

Registration must be completed within 3 months stay in Spain but in practise it’s better to complete as soon as you have decided to stay and work in Spain. Why? Because even if you were an EU/EEA citizen and you woudn’t need a visa or work permit, you need a NIE number.

It is required if you are having any financial, social or professional interests in Spain – which means basically all activities you are going to do if settling down here. It’s similar to Spaniards NIF (Número de Identificación Fiscal) which serves as a fiscal identification number. Opening a bank account, paying taxes, signing an internet contract or using social services is impossible without NIE.

Easiest way is to hit two birds with one stone and apply for registration at Foreigner’s office. You will be issued a NIE number automatically when completing your registration.

1. Visit to Foreigner’s Office

You need to go to Foreigner’s Office in person to apply for registration on the Central Register of Foreigners. The Foreigner’s Office in Barcelona is located at Calle Balmes 192 (closest metro is Diagonal) and it’s actually a police station. Opening hours are from 9am – 2pm but it’s highly recommendable to arrive before 9am in order to avoid hours of standing in a line.

2. Documents you need to bring with you

• 2 copies of completed EX16 application form which can be downloaded here http://www.map.es/servicios/servicio...nt_es/EX16.pdf
• Your passport + 2 copies of it
• For non-EU/EEA citizens, proof of legal entry into Spain

3. Paying the fee

First you need to queue to register yourself and hand over your documents. In case your application is accepted, you will be given a receipt which you have to keep and a payment form of fee approximately 10 € which you need to pay to a certain bank. Keep in mind that not all banks are able to receive this payment so you need to ask Foreigner’s Office where to go.

After you have paid the fee and got the proof of payment head back to the Foreigner’s Office. Go to stand on another line and present it to the officer who will then pass you your residence certificate which contains the NIE number. Everything is valid immediately.

I am looking to create soon a site for expats coming to work to Barcelona with all necessary and especially UP TO DATE information about NIE, since there is so much incorrect information online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.