Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Obtaining an NIE number

Obtaining an NIE number

Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining an NIE number

Originally Posted by johnnyone
When we bought our house in 2009, we gave power of attorney to our Spanish lawyer. He arranged everything, including getting our NIE's. I could not fault the process.

Perhaps we were lucky.
Nope, that was my experience too. We all met up at the notary's office, solicitor took a few details (my name, UK address, passport number). Filled in a few forms, some money changed hands and we were done. It took about 20 minutes in the office and the NIE came through in about 2 weeks.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
I'm assuming you intend to stay here otherwise you do not need an NIE.
You could open a non residents account with your passport but this will be frozen as soon as you apply for your residency.
Work wise, that would depend on your employer whether you need an NIF
( same number as NIE) and if it's cash in hand work etc.

IF they do ask for photos there is always a shop next to the office to get one
You need an NIE to perform many financial transactions such as buying a car or property. Not staying here does not mean you do not need an NIE. It should be fairly simple to convert a non resident's account in to a resident's one. I have never come across an account being frozen on application for residency, you just convert it.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
When you sign on at the police station for the residency certificate they also give you an NIE number on the cert.

People mistake the two boxs at the top of the form for photo places, but these are for the official stamps.
we got our NIE years ago

when you start from brand new just arrived now, do you have to apply separately for the resident's cert & the NIE, or will they issue a NIE with the resident's cert?

I'm just about to help some newbies with the forms - it's not clear if you need to fill in the 14 & the 16
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we got our NIE years ago

when you start from brand new just arrived now, do you have to apply separately for the resident's cert & the NIE, or will they issue a NIE with the resident's cert?

I'm just about to help some newbies with the forms - it's not clear if you need to fill in the 14 & the 16
Applying for the residency certificate (Ex-16) will automatically get you an NIE. You will get the Certificate in a few days/weeks depending on where you live. If you already have an NIE (via EX-14), which will take a few days/weeks depending where you live, and later apply for the Residency Certificate you should get the certificate straight away as it is the issuing of the NIE that takes the time.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

The processing time depends on where you apply - some offices like Torrevieja cannot issue on the same day - others like Elche or Alicante can.

Bottom line I suppose is go to a main office and make sure you have EVERYTHING you need.

The best course of action here is always take everything whether you think you might need it or not, with copies. Then you are in with a chance.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

we got our NIE years ago

I took some people to Fuengirola police st. to get their residencia certificates.
They had to make an appointment, they were given forms to fill in (not sure which number it was though) and another form to take to the bank to pay the fee the day before the appointment.
Turned up at the appointment with forms, receipt from bank , passports and copies, no photos.
All done and dusted in about ten minutes with green certificates printed out complete with their new NIE numbers.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:52 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaggymon
Applying for the residency certificate (Ex-16) will automatically get you an NIE. You will get the Certificate in a few days/weeks depending on where you live. If you already have an NIE (via EX-14), which will take a few days/weeks depending where you live, and later apply for the Residency Certificate you should get the certificate straight away as it is the issuing of the NIE that takes the time.
thanks - one less form for the newbies to fill in then

as I say - we got our NIEs years ago so it was a bit different for us
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:55 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
I took some people to Fuengirola police st. to get their residencia certificates.
They had to make an appointment, they were given forms to fill in (not sure which number it was though) and another form to take to the bank to pay the fee the day before the appointment.
Turned up at the appointment with forms, receipt from bank , passports and copies, no photos.
All done and dusted in about ten minutes with green certificates printed out complete with their new NIE numbers.
I'm not planning to go with them - I work mornings so can't

just trying to save them the many euros they had been quoted by a translator
Old Apr 7th 2010, 7:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not planning to go with them - I work mornings so can't

just trying to save them the many euros they had been quoted by a translator
They hardly have to speak at all if the forms are filled in ok.
All they do is check the face against the PP piccie.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaggymon
You need an NIE to perform many financial transactions such as buying a car or property. Not staying here does not mean you do not need an NIE. It should be fairly simple to convert a non resident's account in to a resident's one. I have never come across an account being frozen on application for residency, you just convert it.
I was merely pointing out the options to the OP IF they were not here permanently, as they did not specify time.
You certainly don't need an NIE to buy a property.
Of course you can convert the account but if you didn't know that and didn't convert it the account would be frozen as it is illegal.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:11 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jdr
They hardly have to speak at all if the forms are filled in ok.
All they do is check the face against the PP piccie.
that's what I told them - really won't need an interpreter

unfortunately the other person has also told them they need their birth & marriage certs - so one of them has returned to the to get them

more unnecessary expense!

although of course they're bound to need them at some point for something
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:53 am
¿Dónde estoy?

are you sure?

I'm pretty certain you do................
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

An NIE, in accordance to Spanish law, is required for the purchase or sale of any real estate, vehicle, or boat within Spain. There are many other transactions that require the parties involved to possess an NIE Number.

Of course you can convert the account but if you didn't know that and didn't convert it the account would be frozen as it is illegal.
Most banks charge you each year to tell the authorities that you are non resident. Most people would want to save that fee if they became resident so would tell the bank and convert their account. It's not a case knowing something it is just a case of keeping your bank informed of your status...in this case you save money as well.

Probably getting a little off the original topic now but there are many threads and other resources where the correct information can be found.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure?

I'm pretty certain you do................
The first property we bought ( some years ago now) we bought with passport only as we were not here permanently.
My brother has just bought a holiday home in Murcia and did not have NIE either.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:27 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

You certainly need an NIE to purchase property on the CDS. I also think it is now not possible to get a Lawyer to apply for you. We bought with just a passport many years ago but things have changed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.