British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Obtaining an NIE number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/obtaining-nie-number-662890/)

FilSheff Apr 6th 2010 7:54 pm

Obtaining an NIE number

Hi,

Hope you can help.

I'm just after clarification really as to how to obtain an NIE number. I'm getting conflicting information from the Internet and thought it easier to ask people who have done this first-hand, i.e. you guys!

What would be the procedure to follow, and how long does it typically take? Will I be able to open a bank account and start looking for work before, or after I have the NIE?

Moving to the Barcelona area on the 2nd May - all this stuff is making me realise how unprepared I might be!

Thanks in advance.

SueG Apr 6th 2010 7:58 pm

Re: Obtaining an NIE number

Right you need to complete an EX14 in duplicate, two passport photos, your passport and a copy. You also need to complete a tax form 790 obtained from the Police station, pay the fee first at any bank and then take the receipt and the remainder of your paperwork to the Police Station. It depends where you are moving to as to which Police Station you need to attend.

EsuriJohn Apr 6th 2010 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by FilSheff (Post 8476856)
Hi,

Hope you can help.

I'm just after clarification really as to how to obtain an NIE number. I'm getting conflicting information from the Internet and thought it easier to ask people who have done this first-hand, i.e. you guys!

What would be the procedure to follow, and how long does it typically take? Will I be able to open a bank account and start looking for work before, or after I have the NIE?

Moving to the Barcelona area on the 2nd May - all this stuff is making me realise how unprepared I might be!

Thanks in advance.

Have a look in the free beer thread.

ForHotspot Apr 6th 2010 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by SueG (Post 8476862)
Right you need to complete an EX14 in duplicate, two passport photos, your passport and a copy.

I'm really confused about the passport photos. I read in another forum that the new rules don't require photo. Do we still need photos?
Thanks.

billymacker Apr 7th 2010 12:40 am

Originally Posted by ForHotspot (Post 8477201)
I'm really confused about the passport photos. I read in another forum that the new rules don't require photo. Do we still need photos?
Thanks.

not hard to take the photos if you don't need them they will not use them.:confused:

lynnxa Apr 7th 2010 5:25 am

the form itself doesn't ask for photos - it does ask for your passport & a photocopy of it however I do agree that it might well be best to take them - just in case

also if the OP is living here he should be doing the EX16 for signing on to the resident's list - & that does require 3 photos!

shaggymon Apr 7th 2010 6:39 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8477991)
the form itself doesn't ask for photos - it does ask for your passport & a photocopy of it however I do agree that it might well be best to take them - just in case

also if the OP is living here he should be doing the EX16 for signing on to the resident's list - & that does require 3 photos!

If the OP is an EU citizen, no photos at all are required for either NIE or Residency certificate.

lynnxa Apr 7th 2010 6:49 am

Originally Posted by shaggymon (Post 8478067)
If the OP is an EU citizen, no photos at all are required for either NIE or Residency certificate.

sorry - you're right - I was reading the wrong bit:o

I have to admit to wondering why - when there are no photos on either:huh:

FilSheff Apr 7th 2010 7:08 am

So can it really take upto six weeks for this number to be processed, as I have read on one website?

I think because we have so much to think about over the next three weeks that I'm just worrying myself unnecessarily over the smallest things. Did anyone else feel like that when he first moved!??

Veleta Apr 7th 2010 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FilSheff (Post 8478109)
So can it really take upto six weeks for this number to be processed, as I have read on one website?

I think because we have so much to think about over the next three weeks that I'm just worrying myself unnecessarily over the smallest things. Did anyone else feel like that when he first moved!??

It's been a few years since I did my application, but I only had to wait about 3 days for my NIE number.

paintermujer Apr 7th 2010 9:17 am

We applied for ours recently.

In the end we did hire a gestor cos I just couldnt work out where to go in the city and as it turned out I did know when we got there but oh well!!!!

Anyway, it now appears that the download form in free beer is incorrect and has been replaced by a much simpler form,well it has around here anyway.

All they require is passports and the names of both parents-no pics etc,very basic.

That was weeks ago and we are still waiting for our official docs.

EsuriJohn Apr 7th 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by paintermujer (Post 8478356)
We applied for ours recently.

In the end we did hire a gestor cos I just couldnt work out where to go in the city and as it turned out I did know when we got there but oh well!!!!

Anyway, it now appears that the download form in free beer is incorrect and has been replaced by a much simpler form,well it has around here anyway.

All they require is passports and the names of both parents-no pics etc,very basic.

That was weeks ago and we are still waiting for our official docs.

There is a website that tells you where all the foreigners office's are and here in Huelva it is not the National Police Station but more like a social security office in Huelva for the whole Province as far as I can tell. We definitely had to take two photos along and they kept them so every where seems to be a bit different and I am sure the regs change all the time and they make it up as they go along in the more remote (from Madrid) offices. If you are going to be in a big city were there are lots of immigrants there will be long queues and you may find but no one will tell you that there is a special desk for EU applications. That is where the gestor has the advantage on you.

I think it is good to do these things personally as it leads you into the intricacies of Spanish officialdom. However nothing in the State sector can prepare you for your dealings with Telefonica or Endessa good luck!:fingerscrossed:

jdr Apr 7th 2010 12:04 pm

When you sign on at the police station for the residency certificate they also give you an NIE number on the cert.

People mistake the two boxs at the top of the form for photo places, but these are for the official stamps.

johnnyone Apr 7th 2010 1:07 pm

When we bought our house in 2009, we gave power of attorney to our Spanish lawyer. He arranged everything, including getting our NIE's. I could not fault the process.

Perhaps we were lucky.

twistedmelon Apr 7th 2010 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by FilSheff (Post 8476856)
Hi,

Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you intend to stay here otherwise you do not need an NIE.
You could open a non residents account with your passport but this will be frozen as soon as you apply for your residency.
Work wise, that would depend on your employer whether you need an NIF
( same number as NIE) and if it's cash in hand work etc.

IF they do ask for photos there is always a shop next to the office to get one