British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   oat groats or steel cut oats in Gran Canaria? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/oat-groats-steel-cut-oats-gran-canaria-736532/)

sachmofranklin Oct 22nd 2011 6:20 pm

oat groats or steel cut oats in Gran Canaria?

Does anyone know if you can buy oat groats or steel cut oats in Gran Canaria? It's very important for me.

Many thanks,

Rosemary Oct 22nd 2011 8:12 pm

Re: oat groats or steel cut oats in Gran Canaria?

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham

Cuthbert Rizla Oct 22nd 2011 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by sachmofranklin (Post 9689865)
Does anyone know if you can buy oat groats or steel cut oats in Gran Canaria? It's very important for me.

Many thanks,

Why, if you don't mind me asking

bxpuser24710519 Oct 22nd 2011 9:46 pm

Groat oats are minimally processed and high nutritional value. Suitable for diabetics, can be organic, high in protein, good source of fibre classed as a super health food.

Sorry cannot answer original question though as not in my diet although probably ought to be.

tex_ritter Oct 23rd 2011 5:06 am

You can get regular porridge oats easily enough in Playa Del Ingles which have very similar nutritional value; certainly a viable substitute.

sachmofranklin Oct 23rd 2011 9:14 am

The captain is correct. :-) For others, the nutritional value is non-existent with any other form of processed and steamed oat - the rubbish they sell in supermarkets. :-) Trust me, oat expert here. If anyone knows of a health food store/oat farmer that sell them, I would be eternally grateful. It is a very important part of my recovery diet in healing - transformative. Many thanks and much appreciation

fionamw Oct 23rd 2011 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by sachmofranklin (Post 9690615)
The captain is correct. :-) For others, the nutritional value is non-existent with any other form of processed and steamed oat - the rubbish they sell in supermarkets. :-) Trust me, oat expert here. If anyone knows of a health food store/oat farmer that sell them, I would be eternally grateful. It is a very important part of my recovery diet in healing - transformative. Many thanks and much appreciation

Can't actually answer, but intrigued, I googled and there is a canary forum which had a thread about coeliac requirements (I know, I know) and referred to health food outlets so posting on there might achieve something? Dunno. :fingerscrossed:

tex_ritter Oct 23rd 2011 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by sachmofranklin (Post 9690615)

I'd not go that far, for most people they will do the job fine. What are you recovering from if I may ask (and good luck with your recovery whatever you have/had).

sachmofranklin Oct 23rd 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for looking Fiona, let me know if you spot something. I'll keep searching.. Big love to all :-)

sachmofranklin Oct 23rd 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks Tex, all perspectives are valid, experience, n' horses for (oat) courses, o'course. Please let me know if you know anyone that might know if they're on the island. :-) Big love and much appreciation,

tex_ritter Oct 23rd 2011 5:17 pm

Are you American? I've a couple of chums in the States who eat the same as you want.

sachmofranklin Oct 23rd 2011 6:50 pm

British :-)

tex_ritter Oct 24th 2011 6:16 am

I'll keep a lookout for you, I'll be back there shortly, was due to be there now but had an aged aunt problem which dashed my plans.

sachmofranklin Oct 24th 2011 9:27 am

Aye, perhaps see you there. :-)