Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NS&I Premium Bonds and Savings

NS&I Premium Bonds and Savings

Old Apr 8th 2022, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NS&I Premium Bonds and Savings

Just had a message from NS&I to say that due to Brexit many UK banks will not allow those resident in the EU to retain UK bank accounts. I'm sure most know this, I was with Barclays for 40 + years but had to change to HSBC who will allow EU residents to have a UK Bank Account. However HSBC will for some reason not allow UK citizens living in the EU to hold savings accounts only Current Accounts. Seems odd but as I need a UK savings account and have Premium Bonds I realised NS&I would allow eu residents to hold savings account so problem solved. However they you now have to check that your bank legally accepts UK citizens to hold a bank account if not they will close all NS&I accounts including premium bonds. Luckily I had switched my current account so not an issue for me but it could be for some.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NS&I Premium Bonds and Savings

Originally Posted by bobd22
Just had a message from NS&I to say that due to Brexit many UK banks will not allow those resident in the EU to retain UK bank accounts. I'm sure most know this, I was with Barclays for 40 + years but had to change to HSBC who will allow EU residents to have a UK Bank Account. However HSBC will for some reason not allow UK citizens living in the EU to hold savings accounts only Current Accounts. Seems odd but as I need a UK savings account and have Premium Bonds I realised NS&I would allow eu residents to hold savings account so problem solved. However they you now have to check that your bank legally accepts UK citizens to hold a bank account if not they will close all NS&I accounts including premium bonds. Luckily I had switched my current account so not an issue for me but it could be for some.

I got that as well this morning. With Nationwide who have no plans (at the moment) to close accounts..
Old Apr 8th 2022, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, other Brexit thing is that the Spanish mobile companies are all abolishing free roaming in uk so that's another pain to consider.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Yup, other Brexit thing is that the Spanish mobile companies are all abolishing free roaming in uk so that's another pain to consider.
Lobster are not. In fact its one of the main reasons people from the Uk get their contract.

Old Apr 8th 2022, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Lobster are not. In fact its one of the main reasons people from the Uk get their contract.
Yes true, Lobster offer it- but most people rely on phone and internet packages plus actual upgrades on phone which Lobster doesn't. Still I imagine they are going to clean up with all the Brits needing to be able to phone UK. WhatsApp is fine but no good for all those official calls to banks, HMRC etc. I am going to try lobster but I have met people claiming it never works in UK for them for one reason or another- I'll get a 12 euro monthly SIM and try it next week
Old Apr 8th 2022, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I use https://smarty.co.uk/
Old Apr 8th 2022, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes true, Lobster offer it- but most people rely on phone and internet packages plus actual upgrades on phone which Lobster doesn't. Still I imagine they are going to clean up with all the Brits needing to be able to phone UK. WhatsApp is fine but no good for all those official calls to banks, HMRC etc. I am going to try lobster but I have met people claiming it never works in UK for them for one reason or another- I'll get a 12 euro monthly SIM and try it next week
If you have a Spanish contract which gives you free minutes then you could try Mormons.com. it's an app that allows you to use you free spanish minutes to phone UK or anywhere else very cheaply. You put credit on the app as low as 4 euros which lasts for up to a year. You make the phone call from the app either using your contacts or the dial pad. It then gives you the option of using your free spanish minutes or WiFi. It connects as normal and shows the call coming from your Spanish number. They charge a couple of US cents per minute. I find it great for the infrequent calls I make to the UK or elsewhere other than Spain. I have been using it a couple of months made a few calls to UK and one to Cyprus with it and so far only used 50 cents credit. Worth a Look if you are happy with your current provider and have a contract that gives you free spanish calls.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 4:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You can do much the same with Skype. It also will connect to UK 0800 numbers.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I use the same for calls to north America. Works every time and at $9 every few months ( 2 or 3???) keeps me in contact.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

With the CPI at 6% the NS&I rates are not very attractive. I am sure there must be something better to put your money into. US bonds are paying 2.5%.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James
​​​​​Yes there are a few alternatives such as Skype or Viber but they use wi-fi or your mobile data. With Moremins it simply uses your free mobile minutes plus I find it costs me less. It's less hassle than changing your mobile provider that's all.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98
With the CPI at 6% the NS&I rates are not very attractive. I am sure there must be something better to put your money into. US bonds are paying 2.5%.
I think you need to be a US citizen for saving bonds. Others are probably available though.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by philat98
Yes there are better alternatives but I have had Premium Bonds for years they are simple and I don't do too bad re wins. As for savings I use NS&I because I wanted a very simple place to keep a small pot of money for possible repairs to a UK property we rent out. I accept there are many options to invest I just wanted something in the UK and it's more difficult to do that with Brexit these days .
Old Apr 8th 2022, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Yes there are better alternatives but I have had Premium Bonds for years they are simple and I don't do too bad re wins. As for savings I use NS&I because I wanted a very simple place to keep a small pot of money for possible repairs to a UK property we rent out. I accept there are many options to invest I just wanted something in the UK and it's more difficult to do that with Brexit these days .
I have some savings in NS&I. Things didnt look bad when inflation was almost zero. The only positive is that Sterling has gained against the Euro. A sneaky change NSI made is that you are not permitted to cash in your bond prematurely. They dont do much to please investors.
Old Apr 8th 2022, 8:22 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have NS&I savings. They are not great return but safer than stock market, where I always seem to pick the wrong horse.
My premium bonds have won £75 last month and this. Not a bad return.
WhatsApp gives free phone calls to anyone anywhere if you have internet access.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.