British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Now TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/now-tv-891359/)

missile Feb 9th 2017 4:45 pm

Now TV

Hi,

Can anyone confirm if Now TV Box will work in Spain?

Many Thanks, :thumbsup:

Fred James Feb 9th 2017 5:22 pm

Re: Now TV

Yes, so long as you use some sort of geoblocker such as a VPN or SmartDNS if you want to access apps like BBC iPlayer etc.

frigilianafreddy Feb 9th 2017 5:52 pm

Yes it works great. My wifi provider, BB4S provides an ip hider so yes i get all the live programmes, on most cahnnels and the catch up facility on all channels. And you can still sign upfor one off sports events etc.

bobd22 Feb 9th 2017 7:07 pm

Now TV also comes with an add on called playto if you download it from playstore onto your smart phone or tablet you can cast direct from it to nowtv and telly without using any form of geo blocker.

Fred James Feb 9th 2017 9:56 pm

Most of the apps on the NowTV are not blocked, but if you wanted BBC iPlayer on the tablet, you could not get that without unblocking it, so you don't gain anything by streaming it to the NowTV.

bobd22 Feb 10th 2017 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12175748)
Most of the apps on the NowTV are not blocked, but if you wanted BBC iPlayer on the tablet, you could not get that without unblocking it, so you don't gain anything by streaming it to the NowTV.

What you gain if you have a smart phone or tablet is ease of streaming to the TV via the box. No need for HDMI connection etc. I find it useful and to be honest it can also be a cheap option for those not in Spain full time as you can get nowtv box for £8/10 on eBay. But if you want catch up or iPlayer etc you need to block. Also has a very good radio app on it as well.

missile Feb 10th 2017 9:34 am

Many thanks for all your comments :typing:

MikeJ Feb 11th 2017 3:40 pm

I see that in response to EU pressure a number of Streaming services are being forced to stop geoblocking from next year. Although BBC iPlayer is not included the BBC is considering a service (based on some form of logon credentials) for UK licence payers to use the iPlayer.

The Guy Feb 11th 2017 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12177198)
I see that in response to EU pressure a number of Streaming services are being forced to stop geoblocking from next year.

IIRC it was along the lines of if you pay for a online digital service in one EU country, then you should be able to access that in other EU countries. Although they are still debating on whether or not there should be a limited amount of days the service should be used, so it will be more for holidaymakers and travellers, and not for expats...
And, of course, for UK broadcasters, will this apply to them after Brexit...

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12177198)
Although BBC iPlayer is not included the BBC is considering a service (based on some form of logon credentials) for UK licence payers to use the iPlayer.

It had a service for expats in the past few years.
But there was not a lot of take up on it so it was scrapped... despite people in Europe saying they would be happy to pay for BBC content if it meant they could access it abroad!!
So the BBC stopped that "international iPlayer" service...but are looking at offering a limited service for expats again via iPlayer...but again it will not offer all BBC content, due to rights issues with other broadcasters in other countries.
Much like ITV offer a very limited service for expats via itvessentials...