British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Not in Spain YET! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/not-spain-yet-534059/)

lrm2112 May 3rd 2008 2:41 pm

Not in Spain YET!

Hi all,

Just putting a few feelers out. I currently live in the North of England and have been seriously thinking about making the move to Andalucia.

I am a fully trained mechanic and was wondering if this was something there is a need for over there or would I be better off perhaps exploring other avenues?

I'm not sure if expats are like myself and, given the choice, would rather use someone British.

Thanks for any replies

Lukas

keddyboy May 3rd 2008 6:01 pm

Re: Not in Spain YET!

A friend of ours is a mobile mechanic in the Malaga area and is as busy as ever. There is a call for a real true to his word mechanic. He did my car last week, cam belt broken with all the trimmings [€1400 cost!!!!] but nice to have the old bus back again.

bil May 3rd 2008 6:32 pm

Hmmm. Now that's an idea. What I hate in the UK is having to drive somewhere for a service, write off half the day and either wait around or organise lifts.

A mobile service unit is something I'd be fairly keen on. We used to have one guy who did it here but he moved.

jdr May 3rd 2008 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by keddyboy (Post 6303169)
A friend of ours is a mobile mechanic in the Malaga area and is as busy as ever. There is a call for a real true to his word mechanic. He did my car last week, cam belt broken with all the trimmings [€1400 cost!!!!] but nice to have the old bus back again.

How much :eek:

Splatt May 3rd 2008 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 6303247)

A mobile service unit is something I'd be fairly keen on. We used to have one guy who did it here but he moved.

:D
Was that intended to be as funny as I read it?

Casa Santo Estevo May 3rd 2008 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by lrm2112 (Post 6302533)
Hi all,

Just putting a few feelers out. I currently live in the North of England and have been seriously thinking about making the move to Andalucia.

I am a fully trained mechanic and was wondering if this was something there is a need for over there or would I be better off perhaps exploring other avenues?

I'm not sure if expats are like myself and, given the choice, would rather use someone British.

Thanks for any replies

Lukas

Very good---- but you will need a good level of Spanish to order the parts as you will be dealing with Spanish suppliers.

lrm2112 May 4th 2008 9:15 pm

Athough I can just about order a beer after a long day at work my wife is fluent in Spanish as her mother is Spanish and would do for me there what she does here which is order parts, invoices etc.

So you think it would be worth a shot? My general opinion is I make enough to get by in UK but by no means have an extravagent lifestyle. Why not make enough to get by in the sun. If the worst comes to the worst I'll send my wife out to work and I'll take on the role of househusband instead of her!!

john1979 May 4th 2008 10:41 pm

A friend of mine is a mobile mechanic and he is very very busy.

El Capitan May 5th 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 6303251)
How much :eek:

1400 could be easy to mount up if the cambelt had broken and done some damage such as - cylinder head off and new valves and/or new valve guides, worst case new pistons, then rebuild with new cambelt.

Had a broken belt on a 2.6 Rover once at very slow speed and didnt have to put in new valve guides but every valve was bent enough to merit a whole new set.

jdr May 5th 2008 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by El Capitan (Post 6308417)
1400 could be easy to mount up if the cambelt had broken and done some damage such as - cylinder head off and new valves and/or new valve guides, worst case new pistons, then rebuild with new cambelt.

Had a broken belt on a 2.6 Rover once at very slow speed and didnt have to put in new valve guides but every valve was bent enough to merit a whole new set.

I had 16 valves put in my Ventura, 900 €`s when my belt went when idling downhill.

gazz May 5th 2008 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 6308852)
I had 16 valves put in my Ventura, 900 €`s when my belt went when idling downhill.

got caught with your pants down there JDR!;):rofl:

Cleri May 5th 2008 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 6303247)
Hmmm. Now that's an idea. What I hate in the UK is having to drive somewhere for a service, write off half the day and either wait around or organise lifts.

:rofl::rofl:

crispy May 5th 2008 2:41 pm

The mind boggles:ohmy:

leighbloke May 5th 2008 2:43 pm

Is that the pontiac 6.5 V8 job?

or the old vauxhall??

lrm2112 May 5th 2008 2:49 pm

So what I'm getting from this is if I came over did a little advertising, built up a reputation aswell as make sure I'm cheaper and better than the others (which of course I am ;)) then go for it.

Now that's sorted what's the score with schools? State or Private?? What's the general opinion?