Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Not many 30 something families left here

Not many 30 something families left here

Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:38 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Not many 30 something families left here

I have noticed a lot of people with families around our area have moved back to the uk. There is not 1 person (excluding ourselves) under 50 on our urb. I also think the nursery my daughter goes to has got a lot quieter. Next month another friend of ours whom we have known for 8 years is going back with her 2 children. Starting to find it hard to make new friends as we obviously don´t go out as much as we used to (having a 2 year old and another on the way). Gets a bit scary some times.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Not many 30 something families left here

Originally Posted by CBANDY
I have noticed a lot of people with families around our area have moved back to the uk. There is not 1 person (excluding ourselves) under 50 on our urb. I also think the nursery my daughter goes to has got a lot quieter. Next month another friend of ours whom we have known for 8 years is going back with her 2 children. Starting to find it hard to make new friends as we obviously don´t go out as much as we used to (having a 2 year old and another on the way). Gets a bit scary some times.
Can you outline the most common reasons for families to move back to UK?
UK is being hit very hard by the recession now.. I am also scared (I am in UK).
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:48 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by singlemum
Can you outline the most common reasons for families to move back to UK?
UK is being hit very hard by the recession now.. I am also scared (I am in UK).
Are you doing some kind of reaserch for a company ???? lol..... For a single mum you spend a hell of a lot of time on the internet

The bottom line now, in my humble opinion, is that if you are not spanish you will not get a decent paid job in spain. That is just the sign of the times at the moment i am afraid.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

singlemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the roughsinglemum is a jewel in the rough

Are you doing some kind of reaserch for a company ???? lol..... For a single mum you spend a hell of a lot of time on the internet
Ha ha! No, I am not doing any research. I am just trying to get as much info as I can in a relatively short time. Once I made my mind up you probably won't see me here again unless I will come back with my own success story!!
Today I am actually getting ready for a court hearing at Croydon County court tomorrow about the deposit dispute (for work)... Boring. Just glad I do not have to present it.

As to the point, I think Spanish are not as tolerant to other nations as British.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:59 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

I assume this is because these are 'working' people who need a wage to survive. The retired lot tend to come with their equity, savings and pensions so have worked out that they'll be alright with no mortgage and a lower cost of living.

Most people on the Montanosa Urb (Hondon Valley) are 55+ and retired. The younger ones with mortgages are all struggling... bar work, cleaning, pools, airport runs, odd-jobbing, taxis - most illegally. And most chanced it without a proper plan A or B !!

In the current climate I expect this will be a common theme. Are we stuck here in Spain? Can you sell your villa to get back to UK? - Is it better to go back anyway? - UK sounds c**py at the moment (e.g. unemployment up today and predicted to get worse)!

Scary Times as you say, none of us predicted this but most thought the property bubble would burst. I suspect this is a world-wide thing now... we are not alone in these scary times.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singlemum
As to the point, I think Spanish are not as tolerant to other nations as British.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:06 pm
Family man

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
I assume this is because these are 'working' people who need a wage to survive. The retired lot tend to come with their equity, savings and pensions so have worked out that they'll be alright with no mortgage and a lower cost of living.

Most people on the Montanosa Urb (Hondon Valley) are 55+ and retired. The younger ones with mortgages are all struggling... bar work, cleaning, pools, airport runs, odd-jobbing, taxis - most illegally. And most chanced it without a proper plan A or B !!

In the current climate I expect this will be a common theme. Are we stuck here in Spain? Can you sell your villa to get back to UK? - Is it better to go back anyway? - UK sounds c**py at the moment (e.g. unemployment up today and predicted to get worse)!

Scary Times as you say, none of us predicted this but most thought the property bubble would burst. I suspect this is a world-wide thing now... we are not alone in these scary times.
Well said. We are doing ok at the moment but things here can change very quickly. If i suddenly found myself out of work then !BANG! dont know what i would do.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed a lot of people with families around our area have moved back to the uk.
pretty much the same where we are, the majority of "younger" ones that need to work dont seem to last long - max 2 years expect to see a lot more going back with the shortage of work everywhere
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:13 pm
Family man

Originally Posted by spain
pretty much the same where we are, the majority of "younger" ones that need to work dont seem to last long - max 2 years expect to see a lot more going back with the shortage of work everywhere
I have been here 10 years and like most long timers have seen a lot come and go. As you said about 1 or 2 years. I am now noticing a lot of people we met when within the first couple of years are disapearing as well. If we had to sell up to go back to the uk i don`t know where we would go or what we would do.

Best start doing that lottery
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:16 pm
Family man

Might end up here eventually

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 10 years and like most long timers have seen a lot come and go. As you said about 1 or 2 years. I am now noticing a lot of people we met when within the first couple of years are disapearing as well. If we had to sell up to go back to the uk i don`t know where we would go or what we would do.

Best start doing that lottery
well we have been here 6 years in january and like you say the number of people we have seen come and go, its shame but Spain isnt for everyone and not always what people expect ie sun, sea and sangria......if only

We are joining the list of those going back but not because of work issues, unfortunately its health reasons so we will be a statistic ourselves soon enough !
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:21 pm
Family man

well we have been here 6 years in january and like you say the number of people we have seen come and go, its shame but Spain isnt for everyone and not always what people expect ie sun, sea and sangria......if only

We are joining the list of those going back but not because of work issues, unfortunately its health reasons so we will be a statistic ourselves soon enough !
Yes, i remember reading your thread. Shame. Did you also say your daughter was going back through work issues??? Or am i dreaming again? I seem to remember she was around our age.

Let me know how you get on in the uk as you never know.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, i remember reading your thread. Shame. Did you also say your daughter was going back through work issues??? Or am i dreaming again? I seem to remember she was around our age.

Let me know how you get on in the uk as you never know.
No you must be confused Im only 38, our son is 12

not sure who that was but will keep you updated, planning on going at Christmas at the moment
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:31 pm
Family man

No you must be confused Im only 38, our son is 12

not sure who that was but will keep you updated, planning on going at Christmas at the moment
oops!!!!!!!!!!!! I am 34 and my wife 36. We have had this nagging feeling for 2 and a half years of trying to give it a go back in the uk but then fell pregnant with our lovely daughter. Thinking about it again and guess what??? Pregnant again, due end of feb............... Not going to think about it again lol if thats what keeps happening.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

oops!!!!!!!!!!!! I am 34 and my wife 36. We have had this nagging feeling for 2 and a half years of trying to give it a go back in the uk but then fell pregnant with our lovely daughter. Thinking about it again and guess what??? Pregnant again, due end of feb............... Not going to think about it again lol if thats what keeps happening.
no no no keep your thoughts to yourself

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.