Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Northern Lights this far south?

Northern Lights this far south?

Old Jun 26th 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Northern Lights this far south?

That was the obsession you see best contact was with Austria on 144 Mhz. The answer is probably light pollution in my case.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 10:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
That was the obsession you see best contact was with Austria on 144 Mhz. The answer is probably light pollution in my case.
brought up on 80m and upwards, but sunspots do funny things not always expected of them at times.
did u ever do a moon bounce ? something I wanted to try but never had the kit

73's

Last edited by Domino; Jun 26th 2012 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 11:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
brought up on 80m and upwards, but sunspots do funny things not always expected of them at times.
did u ever do a moon bounce ? something I wanted to try but never had the kit

73's
That needed a fairly elaborate antenna array I believe.
Meteor scatter and aircraft bounce were two other unusual ones.
I made a few auroral contacts which often sounded weird because of the unusual effect of the atmospherics on the voices.
Mainly worked 20mts on ham bands occasionally 10 and before that 11 on the pirates before I was licensed in 83.
Worked as far as Oz using a small mobile on the pirate bands then later clocked up 330 confirmed countries on the ham band including quite a few unusual ones like North pole expeditions.also quite often with US 747 flight crews crossing the pond who were great at keeping me posted on the weather which was useful for my work back then.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't have the space for a decent EME array but did manage it on 70cm, 2m Aurora and MS and did contests providing the 23 and 13cm stations water cooled of course !
I've calmed now but used to be a fruitcake !
there will be readers wondering what the hell we are talking about !

Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
That needed a fairly elaborate antenna array I believe.
Meteor scatter and aircraft bounce were two other unusual ones.
I made a few auroral contacts which often sounded weird because of the unusual effect of the atmospherics on the voices.
Mainly worked 20mts on ham bands occasionally 10 and before that 11 on the pirates before I was licensed in 83.
Worked as far as Oz using a small mobile on the pirate bands then later clocked up 330 confirmed countries on the ham band including quite a few unusual ones like North pole expeditions.also quite often with US 747 flight crews crossing the pond who were great at keeping me posted on the weather which was useful for my work back then.
have done cloud bounce - flashing light onto a cloud - can almost double the distance, but not recommended as a long term medium.

presumably the Northern Lights will cause the distortion because that is in part what they are - a distortion of the ionosphere.
presumably they will also effect the "bounce", so less chance of an echo on 20m Oz txn's, think I only heard that once on a ZS.

used to monitor amateur bands to see what the propogation was like when having difficulties with shipboard comms, especially when the hissing sound started to increase - nothing to do with sunspots but just a huge tropical storm on its way.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't have the space for a decent EME array but did manage it on 70cm, 2m Aurora and MS and did contests providing the 23 and 13cm stations water cooled of course !

Absolutabloodymente!!!

But don't worry, it wasn't the Aurora so make this the 'unfathomable stuff from the sounds of outer space or wherever' thread
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:59 am

got the bug at about 13, in over 50 years, including time doing it for a living on grey painted war canoes, and some underground "facilities", it has never gone away completely, it sits in the blood waiting.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't tell that to my wife !
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:34 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
got the bug at about 13, in over 50 years, including time doing it for a living on grey painted war canoes, and some underground "facilities", it has never gone away completely, it sits in the blood waiting.
Must be in the blood with me also.
My old man built crystal sets back in the early days of radio.
Even as a little bitty kid I'd sit fascinated beside the old steam valve radio for hours on end tuning thru the atmospherics on the SW bands.
Shame it all seems a bit old hat now with modern technology, yet it's only a few years back that transatlantic flights were still relying on ssb sw radio to keep in contact with their tracking stations.
To keep on topic,the first time I heard transmissions from auroral contacts I got to thinking maybe I was hearing voices from beyond the grave.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:36 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this can be classed as hijacking or just boring people to death.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:38 am

just give her lots of 88's

Old Jun 27th 2012, 8:38 am
On the road again.

Well you've heard of golf widows,.. my ex was a radio widow.

Far more interesting to talk to a fellow sheep farmer in the outback of Oz than listen to her yacking on about new wallpaper and the like.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Not sure if this can be classed as hijacking or just boring people to death.
Well I'm not bovvered.... anyone interested in the aurora will have realised it wasn't after about five posts and gone away
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not really for those in Spain but for those in the UK particularly the North, I have just received a red alert for possible visual Aurora tonight.
Obviously this is the highest level and generally means almost certain although I expect finding a clear sky might be a tad difficult.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 7:40 pm
On the road again.

http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm

Seems quite possible.

Clear sky up here in N.E. England at the minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.