Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Northern Irish banknotes - URGENT

Northern Irish banknotes - URGENT

Old Feb 1st 2010, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Estrella blanca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Irish banknotes - URGENT

Hi all, having made the mistake of bringing almost all my travel money in cash, in POUNDS ISSUED BY THE BANK OF IRELAND, I found myself with great difficulty changing them in euros. All the major banks refuse to do so. I would be very grateful for any suggestion on what can I do to change these banknotes. Perhaps some UK bank branches in Spain?? It is quite urgent, because my debit card is running out. Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Irish banknotes - URGENT

Originally Posted by Estrella blanca
Hi all, having made the mistake of bringing almost all my travel money in cash, in POUNDS ISSUED BY THE BANK OF IRELAND, I found myself with great difficulty changing them in euros. All the major banks refuse to do so. I would be very grateful for any suggestion on what can I do to change these banknotes. Perhaps some UK bank branches in Spain?? It is quite urgent, because my debit card is running out. Thanks.
Tricky, the Irish pound is not accepted in many places, so as you say, English banks may be your only hope or failing that find an Irish bar (depending on where you are) and ask there.
All the best
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

The very best thing that you can do is email the Bank of Ireland, tell them of your difficulties and ask them for suggestions as to how you can resolve them. I don't know anything about the Bank of Ireland BUT both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are part of the EU and I would have thought that refusing your transactions was a breach of the EU banking regulations.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:32 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

I had a similar problem with Caja Mar, a Spanish saving bank. They charged me for two foreign currency transactions when I paid in English and Scottish notes. I complained and when they checked with someone they repaid the second charge, accepting that both pounds were the same.

I should have though that is you ask a bank to check with their HQ they should be able to resolve it.

Also, money changer shops should also have no problem with doing the exchange.

Good luck

Last edited by johncar61; Feb 1st 2010 at 2:37 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:46 pm
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Johncarr 61

Your post about the currencies of both the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland sems to have disappeared but I'll answer it anyway.

It is confusing but the Bank of Ireland is headquartered in Dublin, and has operations throughout the Republic of Ireland which is of course in the Euro Zone. It also operates in the United Kingdom, particularly Northern Ireland, where it prints its own banknotes in Pounds Sterling.

Last edited by St. John; Feb 1st 2010 at 2:48 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:50 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thats BS. Northern Irish notes are the same as English or Scottish. They just look different. My god, you think a bank would know!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:57 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

St John. Sorry, I was editing my post as I saw I had misread the original question.

This is I suppose academic, but I did not know it :--

Bank of England notes are the only banknotes that are legal tender in England and Wales. Scottish and Northern Ireland banknotes are not legal tender anywhere, and Jersey, Guernsey and Manx banknotes are only legal tender in their respective jurisdictions. The fact that these banknotes are not legal tender in the UK does not however mean that they are illegal under English law, and creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose. Traders may, on the other hand, choose not to accept banknotes as payment as contract law across the United Kingdom allows parties not to engage in a transaction at the point of payment if they choose not to.[15]
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the suggestions. In my original post I made a mistake: they are notes issued by the Ulster Bank. I read somewhere they should be accepted as legal tender, and be exchanged at the same rate as notes issued by the Bank of England, since it clearly states "... POUND STERLING" on them. I suppose the worry might come from the fact that there might be counterfeit notes in circulation, especially those of a high denomination (mine are 20£). Does anyone know a British bank in Granada, I could only find Halifax but they are based only in madrid and barcelona. Thanks sincerely to all. It is such an ordeal..
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:53 pm
Banned

Estella, I don't think there are any UK banks in Spain. Even banks like Barclay's are not branches of Barclay's UK.

But I still think if you are persistent with a Spanish bank they could find a resolution for you.

The possibility of counterfeit notes should not be a problem. And large denomination should not apply, when there are 500 Euro notes.

Did you try a money changer (bureaux de change) ?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

I just phoned Ulster Bank in Belfast. They said their notes are a legal tender not just in uk, but anywhere, although it is at the discretion of the exchanger to accept them or not. So, that doesn't help much. I tried all major banks here in Granada and Western Union. If nothing else works, I'll contact Banco de Espana in Malaga - well, they SHOULD exchange them. I'll see tomorrow...
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

If nothing else works, would someone from the British community in Andalucia be willing to change them into Bank of England pounds? I am currently based in Granada, but could travel to Almeria, Malaga or even Seville. That is, if nothing else works..
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

If nothing else works, would someone from the British community in Andalucia be willing to change them into Bank of England pounds? I am currently based in Granada, but could travel to Almeria, Malaga or even Seville. That is, if nothing else works..
What's this forum come to, money laundering now

Is there a poss you could send them back by certified post to a trusty pal back there?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Twisted melon, no, it's no money laundering . I'm just angry at myself, I didn't know something so stupid can happen to me.. And to sound even more suspicious, I have to say I am not even British.. Thing is I am a Slovenian national (now I know no one will want to change them, haha) who lived in Belfast in the past few years, decided I have enough of the fog and rain and am now trying to settle in Andalucia. I have no trusted pals up there, but will try to fight my way with the banks here... It's fun .. in a strange, contorted, masochistic way..
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:44 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Bienvenida a España
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Muchas gracias, Madridboy. Todo es bien, lo que comienza bien

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.