Reload this Page >

Noob with Motorcycle Questions

Noob with Motorcycle Questions

Old May 14th 2012, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

a_morti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noob with Motorcycle Questions

Hello all!

I found this place by a google search, and as it looks interesting and useful here I am making my introduction, and with my first question to the group.

I'm Aaron, 28, from Portsmouth originally. I've been working in Gibraltar and living in La Linea with my fiancée for about 6 months now. It's now looking more and more like a permanent move, and so I am thinking about buying myself a motorbike - it's been a very very long 6 months since I could last ride!

I live in La Linea and have seen an ad for a really nice looking bike in Malaga, so I'll have to get there (probably hire car with the GF), and ride it home. What do I need to do that legally? My Spanish is still very weak, so I'd like to have everything covered and not have to try explaining my way out of anything to the Guardia!

Please could someone give a really dumbed-down step by step guide for what I need to do, and any papers I need to get? How does insurance work in Spain? Is there a good guide for this stuff online? I was told I'd need an NIE to be able to transfer a bike's papers into my name, so I have been to the foreigner's office and got forms EX16 and EX18, I've filled them out and will return them to the same office in the next days.

Thanks in advance. I'm really excited about getting this bike, I've got the money saved up now. Just need to sort the paperwork out before it sells to someone else!
Old May 15th 2012, 2:57 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noob with Motorcycle Questions

Hi and Welcome to the forum

If you are working in Gibraltar, then is it not better to have a Gibraltarian registered motorbike? I think you have the right to do it but am not completely sure (a vague bell ringing from friends who bought in Gibraltar).

But to buy in Spain, then make sure you change the ownership of the motorbike correctly. It is easier to go with the current owner to the Junta de Andalucia, pay the tax for changing vehicles, then go to Trafico and complete the forms there. Expensive in the short term yes, but at least you will not be lumbered with any outstanding debts.

Davexf
Old May 15th 2012, 4:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_morti
Hello all!

I found this place by a google search, and as it looks interesting and useful here I am making my introduction, and with my first question to the group.

I'm Aaron, 28, from Portsmouth originally. I've been working in Gibraltar and living in La Linea with my fiancée for about 6 months now. It's now looking more and more like a permanent move, and so I am thinking about buying myself a motorbike - it's been a very very long 6 months since I could last ride!

I live in La Linea and have seen an ad for a really nice looking bike in Malaga, so I'll have to get there (probably hire car with the GF), and ride it home. What do I need to do that legally? My Spanish is still very weak, so I'd like to have everything covered and not have to try explaining my way out of anything to the Guardia!

Please could someone give a really dumbed-down step by step guide for what I need to do, and any papers I need to get? How does insurance work in Spain? Is there a good guide for this stuff online? I was told I'd need an NIE to be able to transfer a bike's papers into my name, so I have been to the foreigner's office and got forms EX16 and EX18, I've filled them out and will return them to the same office in the next days.

Thanks in advance. I'm really excited about getting this bike, I've got the money saved up now. Just need to sort the paperwork out before it sells to someone else!
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
If you are working in Gibraltar, then is it not better to have a Gibraltarian registered motorbike? I think you have the right to do it
To have a Gibraltar registered vehicle you need a Gibraltar address and proof such as a utility bill.

Nice bike a-morti

Last edited by Fredbargate; May 15th 2012 at 7:08 am. Reason: last line added
Old May 15th 2012, 7:27 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You will need an NIE and a certificate from town house to transfer ownership to your address in spain. Do not buy without transfering ownership and be aware you may become responsible for any outstanding finance. You should carry passport, registration documents, ITV and proof of insurance. If you are stopped by the police, they can check online but best to have the papers with you.

IMHO, that is a fair price for a very nice bike.
Old May 15th 2012, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the positive comments. I just tried to take back the form to the foreigner's office to be given another piece of paper that I don't understand telling me more pieces of paper I need to bring them since 24th April. Thing is I originally got the form from them after that date, so why didn't they just give me the right paperwork in the first instance!?

I'm starting to think finding a Gestor is going to be a good idea but I hate paying over the odds for this sort of thing when in theory I can do it myself.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:49 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You will find living in spain is a bureaucratic nightmare. Be careful who you choose to insure the bike, read the small print carefully. You will find it more expensive and very lucky if you find one that will provide comprehensive cover.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Not worried about comprehensive cover to be honest.

I have some 10 years bike no claims bonus in the UK but not only have the old company not sent my confirmation yet, but I have no idea if it's valid.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:31 am
Started off with nothing

There are cheaper providers but I have found Lineadirecta to be good value. They did accept my NCD > https://www.lineadirecta.com/ZZRecur...s_euroweekly_c
Old May 15th 2012, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you

I just popped out to my local lawyer / gestor office. Nice bloke, good english, appears to know his stuff.

Is 100€ each / 170€ the couple sensible money for providing NIE, Padron and Residencia? There is another Gestoria in town but unless someone says the price asked is ridiculous, I won't bother shopping around.

Just got another email, this will be handy.

We can confirm that at expiry of the above numbered policy the Insured was entitled to a No Claims Discount as
shown below.

Date of expiry: 12/03/2012

Number of years entitlement: 10 years

Last edited by a_morti; May 15th 2012 at 11:56 am.
Old May 15th 2012, 12:16 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sounds very expensive to me; but a friend has just had their renewal of residencia put on hold "because of law changes".

The padron is free from your ayuntamiento and they will bend over backwards to help you as they receive money for more people on the padron.

Davexf
Old May 15th 2012, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Padron might be free, but I've still got to go get the form and fill it all out in Spanish, which is becoming a daunting and pretty downheartening experience.

Renewing the residencia? Annually, or.. ?
Old May 15th 2012, 12:42 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi

In my experience, go to the ayuntamiento, with passport, and address and they will do all the necessary. Yes it is better to have a NIE / residencia but I know that they have accepted just the passport as proof of identity.

If you are renting, then take the rental agreement.

As I said, they are the ones that want you to be on the padron, so they will do everything. If you really do not have sufficient Spanish, or the confidence to try, then take a Spanish speaking friend with you.

Davexf
Old May 15th 2012, 1:52 pm
Started off with nothing

If you know what to do it is easy DIY. If you do not it can be a stressful nightmare. IMHO, the best 170 euros you will ever spend.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
If you know what to do it is easy DIY. If you do not it can be a stressful nightmare. IMHO, the best 170 euros you will ever spend.
My Spanish is good enough to order in a restaurant and say some simple present-tense sentences. I'm past set phrases but not as far as stories, IYSWIM. I just about managed to muddle through setting up a bank account, an internet account and getting prepay SIMs, but missed most of the nuances of all those conversation and will likely be stung on something I didn't understand at some point in the future, probably by the bank. All of those things were a real trial and the foreigner's office is looking like it'd be worse again, after 2 visits (Queuing) and zero success with no sign of any coming until I visited the Gestor. So even though I don't make or have that much money, I'm just past the point of wanting to try now. I'm quite happy to bail and pass it on to someone else.

I find it hard to believe, since La Linea basically exists as nothing more than a suburb of Gibraltar, but there is hardly an English-speaking sales or service person in the whole town. Not customer service people at Carrefour or phone shops, not one individual in the foreigner office, one sole individual at BBVA bank whose english was as good as my spanish but was willing to try, not a waiter in town... but I am at least able to realise I am in Spain so it's my problem and my fault I can't make myself understood (yet). So for that reason, I'll get a professional on the case.

Off to meet the Gestor at the foreigner's office 08:30 tomorrow, and I only just got back from work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.