Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non-residents NIE.

Non-residents NIE.

Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Non-residents NIE.

Hi,
I applied for an NIE number about 3 years ago and obtained it through a firm of solicitors in London and Spain. It was printed on a white A4 sheet. Not being a permanent resident I assume it is a non-res number.

I know the number lasts for life but do I have to keep applying for it?
I read on another site that a 'white' NIE only lasts three years.

How do I know that this number I've been given is a true and valid number?

Thanks
Steve
Old Jun 21st 2013, 6:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-residents NIE.

Originally Posted by tebo53
Hi,
I applied for an NIE number about 3 years ago and obtained it through a firm of solicitors in London and Spain. It was printed on a white A4 sheet. Not being a permanent resident I assume it is a non-res number.

I know the number lasts for life but do I have to keep applying for it?
I read on another site that a 'white' NIE only lasts three years.

How do I know that this number I've been given is a true and valid number?

Thanks
Steve
mine original NIE is on a white A4 sheet of paper too

it has nothing to do with being resident or not - it's only last year they started issuing NIE certs with expiry dates - mine doesn't have an expiry date & I doubt yours does either

the ones they issue now only in fact have a 'life' of 3 months, not three years - but it's the paper that expires, not the number - that IS for life - & even people who have to get a 'new' one for whatever reason (say they buy a house - & they need an 'up to date' cert) just get essentially the same bit of paper with a different date on it
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

MaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really niceMaryJones is just really nice

From my understanding you have a NIE number which comes on a white piece of paper rather than the residencia which is on a green piece of paper. The newer version has a small section which is popped out giving you a credit card sized green one. The residencia has an expiry which has to be renewed every 5/10 years
Old Jun 21st 2013, 8:48 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaryJones
From my understanding you have a NIE number which comes on a white piece of paper rather than the residencia which is on a green piece of paper. The newer version has a small section which is popped out giving you a credit card sized green one. The residencia has an expiry which has to be renewed every 5/10 years
Just to help clarify;

Yes, the NIE can come on a white sheet of A4 but you can also apply for it at the same time as your 'residencia' in which case all you will have is the green 'bit'.

Only in some areas are they issuing the 'pop-out' cards.

The 'residencia' need not expire if you selected the 'permanent' check-box on the form. Also, those issues before 2008 have no renewal date (like mine).
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Emma1965 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Non-residents NIE.

Finally, after ten and a half years living in Spain, we got the right advice and are now the proud owners of the new green Residencia certificates.

We happily lived here on our original white paper NIE. We bought property, cars, our children happily in the education system, son at uni and daughter in baccillerato. No problems until children wanted to take their driving tests. We were told that we HAD to getthe green certificates! We were sent from pilar to post? Gandia, Alzira, Valencia and back to Alzira. Noone wanted to help us!

Finally, a kindly chap in Gandia told us the exact documentation and in ten minutes...... Hey presto.

So. Firstly you need to attend the commisario and get a number for the following day. On this first visit, you need toshow your old white NIE form and ask the policeman on duty for a form to enable you to pre pay the fee into the bank. Ten euro forty. You also need to get the form x18 whichyou either download from the internet or get on visit number one.

The following day. Pay the fee tothe bank and ger the certificate stamped.
Return and wait in line for your number to be called.

You must take
Current passport
Old white NIE
Sip card or proof of medical insurance
Proof of income, we took p60s
One photograph
Certificate of empadriomento
Completed form x18
Prrof of payment to the bank.

Each applicant has to go in person and if you have dependant children, or your child is applying, even if older that 18years, parents have to go to provide proof that you can financially support them.

Withthis documentation, you will be issued with your green tarjeta de residencia.

You do need this

The white NIE is no longer valid.

It will save you so much future hassle if youdo this.

Hope this helps clarifythe situation. We were told so many stupid things we had to do, including legalising birth certificates with the apostille of the Hague Convention, legal translations etc....... Rubbish,

GOOD LUCK,
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 11:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma1965
Finally, after ten and a half years living in Spain, we got the right advice and are now the proud owners of the new green Residencia certificates.

We happily lived here on our original white paper NIE. We bought property, cars, our children happily in the education system, son at uni and daughter in baccillerato. No problems until children wanted to take their driving tests. We were told that we HAD to getthe green certificates! We were sent from pilar to post? Gandia, Alzira, Valencia and back to Alzira. Noone wanted to help us!

Finally, a kindly chap in Gandia told us the exact documentation and in ten minutes...... Hey presto.

So. Firstly you need to attend the commisario and get a number for the following day. On this first visit, you need toshow your old white NIE form and ask the policeman on duty for a form to enable you to pre pay the fee into the bank. Ten euro forty. You also need to get the form x18 whichyou either download from the internet or get on visit number one.

The following day. Pay the fee tothe bank and ger the certificate stamped.
Return and wait in line for your number to be called.

You must take
Current passport
Old white NIE
Sip card or proof of medical insurance
Proof of income, we took p60s
One photograph
Certificate of empadriomento
Completed form x18
Prrof of payment to the bank.

Each applicant has to go in person and if you have dependant children, or your child is applying, even if older that 18years, parents have to go to provide proof that you can financially support them.

Withthis documentation, you will be issued with your green tarjeta de residencia.

You do need this

It will save you so much future hassle if youdo this.

Hope this helps clarifythe situation. We were told so many stupid things we had to do, including legalising birth certificates with the apostille of the Hague Convention, legal translations etc....... Rubbish,

GOOD LUCK,
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:55 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma1965

Well done you, glad you got it sorted.

Just to clarify. The white NIE sheet IS valid - it always will be. However, it is just that, proof of your NIE - as such it is perfectly valid. What it isn't is a 'residencia' .
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Emma1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Just to help clarify;

Yes, the NIE can come on a white sheet of A4 but you can also apply for it at the same time as your 'residencia' in which case all you will have is the green 'bit'.

Only in some areas are they issuing the 'pop-out' cards.

The 'residencia' need not expire if you selected the 'permanent' check-box on the form. Also, those issues before 2008 have no renewal date (like mine).
Would you believe it! He tore up the white copies and said they had expired. Hey ho, i have a green one now so...... Children can drive! Happy kids, happy parents!
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:23 am
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hola
quick question what is Certificate of empadriomento
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 8:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you live permanently in Spain you are obliged to register at the town hall in the locality where you have your permanent home.

Having done so you can apply for a certificate to show that you are on the "padron" which is sometimes required as part of an administrative process.

The best description of the process for applying and the background to it is on this site. It is for Madrid but the rules are the same everywhere although the forms will be different.

http://www.madrid.org/usupadron/pdf/hojas/ingles.pdf
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:03 am
Headpoopscopper

HeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond reputeHeikeundAlan has a reputation beyond repute

Fred James thank you kind Sir
we are on the Padron and have some paperwork, but all paperwork is away right now as we sorting the car onto spanish.
but again thank you
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:11 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeikeundAlan
Fred James thank you kind Sir
we are on the Padron and have some paperwork, but all paperwork is away right now as we sorting the car onto spanish.
but again thank you
Might I suggest you always photocopy originals. If you send them away and they get lost, it makes getting a replacement easier.