Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

non-resident wishing to register a UK car in ES

non-resident wishing to register a UK car in ES

Old Jan 15th 2020, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: non-resident wishing to register a UK car in ES

I don't know anything about importing a car, but as for non resident ownership of a Spanish registered car:

We are non resident and not on the Padron. We bought a 2nd hand Spanish registered car a couple of years ago, which we leave at our holiday home where we spend 3 months at a time in spring and autumn. All Spanish registered cars have to have a "fiscal address" to establish where the car tax is paid. We got advice from a Gestor as the car dealership was having trouble registering it in our name. She told us that merely owning a Spanish property was not enough - we had to establish that we actually "live" there. She gave us the number of the specific form that we, as non residents, had to obtain from the Ayuntamiento. It took 2 days and there was no fee. The document says we own the property and "spend regular holidays there". I think this may be the "certificate of non residency" that has been mentioned.

The car is Spanish insured, and we deal with the ITV during our autumn stay each year. I believe our English driving licences are OK as we only spend 6 months a year there, ie 3 months each trip, thereby maintaining our non-resident status.

Incidentally, I have read on the forum that many towns are happy to take holiday home owners on the Padron to get extra funding. I enquired at our Ayuntamiento mainly because it would entitle us to free parking in some areas of the town. However, as "non full-timers" they refused us.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

del.Almendro will become famous soon enoughdel.Almendro will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by FranE
I don't know anything about importing a car, but as for non resident ownership of a Spanish registered car:

We are non resident and not on the Padron. We bought a 2nd hand Spanish registered car a couple of years ago, which we leave at our holiday home where we spend 3 months at a time in spring and autumn. All Spanish registered cars have to have a "fiscal address" to establish where the car tax is paid. We got advice from a Gestor as the car dealership was having trouble registering it in our name. She told us that merely owning a Spanish property was not enough - we had to establish that we actually "live" there. She gave us the number of the specific form that we, as non residents, had to obtain from the Ayuntamiento. It took 2 days and there was no fee. The document says we own the property and "spend regular holidays there". I think this may be the "certificate of non residency" that has been mentioned.

The car is Spanish insured, and we deal with the ITV during our autumn stay each year. I believe our English driving licences are OK as we only spend 6 months a year there, ie 3 months each trip, thereby maintaining our non-resident status.

Incidentally, I have read on the forum that many towns are happy to take holiday home owners on the Padron to get extra funding. I enquired at our Ayuntamiento mainly because it would entitle us to free parking in some areas of the town. However, as "non full-timers" they refused us.
Hi Fran,

Thank you, that's a most useful and informative reply. Do you still have a record of the relevant form number? If so, I would very much appreciate it if you could let us know.

We are back in El Almendro next month when we will apply for the same documentation. Our lady mayor knows us well, and has known us throughout our 15 year history of regular stays in the village, so we don't anticipate a problem, although I doubt they will be familiar with that particular form.

Kind regards,

Barrie
Old Jan 15th 2020, 2:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever the law says and what these legal experts say, it ultimately comes down to whether you local Traffico office will process the transfer without you being on the Padron.

Our next door neighbour who is non resident, wanted to buy a car from a Spanish resident. They used a gestor and Trafico in Málaga absolutely refused to accept the transfer as she was not on the Padron and for various reasons was not prepared to (illegally) sign on the Padron.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

FranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond reputeFranE has a reputation beyond repute

Barrie. Sorry for late response. Notification went to my "bulk mail" - I dont even know what that is!

Unfortunately I dont have the number for the request form: the gestor wrote it on a scrap of paper whuch is long gone. The certificate is in Spain but we're going back tomorrow so I've made a note to look it out & see if there's a number on it.

Sorry if the info is too late for you.
Old Feb 13th 2020, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

UK or Spanish reg there is no bar whatsoever on a visitor driving in Spain on UK licence.

After Dec 31st you will need an IDP but that's all.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

del.Almendro will become famous soon enoughdel.Almendro will become famous soon enough

Barrie. Sorry for late response. Notification went to my "bulk mail" - I dont even know what that is!

Unfortunately I dont have the number for the request form: the gestor wrote it on a scrap of paper which is long gone. The certificate is in Spain but we're going back tomorrow so I've made a note to look it out & see if there's a number on it.

Sorry if the info is too late for you.
Hi Fran,

Did you find that non-residency certificate? We're back in Spain this Sunday.

ThanQ,

Barrie

Last edited by del.Almendro; Feb 19th 2020 at 6:03 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2020, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, found the request & the certificate. Neither has a form number. Translation is mine:

The request states (hubby's) details including UK address & property address in Spain " where he enjoys holidays at various times of the year. To be able to get around during his stays in the city he wants to acquire a car. For that he needs a "permiso de circulación" (ie the doc with his name on it) " & confirms he has produced the docs to confirm his details/info.

The certificate is from the Padron. It states his name, date of birth , UK address & NIE, & goes on to say "is the proprietor of the home situated at .... in this city where he enjoys holidays a large part of the year".

(can't translate this bit) " Y para que conste y surtan los efectos oportunos ante la Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico expido la presente a petición del interesado" Stamped signed & dated on behalf of the Alcalde.

Hope this helps.

Old Feb 19th 2020, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Oops. Missed a bit. The request form states that he has produced docs (as in previous post) "and to confirm his status as a tempirary resident".

Honestly cannot remember what docs we produced if any. This was in early 2017.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Oops. Missed a bit. The request form states that he has produced docs (as in previous post) "and to confirm his status as a tempirary resident".

Honestly cannot remember what docs we produced if any. This was in early 2017.
From your description this appears to be a form of Padron certificate that confirms the person subject of the certificate is NOT on the Padron, if you see what I mean. Perhaps this is the 'Certificate of Non-Residency' sometimes referred to on this forum. Maybe when Trafico refuse a matriculation application because of a lack of a Padron certificate, this is what they are actually looking for. Time to consult a gestor methinks. Thanks again for the advice, this could be most interesting!

Our ayuntamiento and lady mayoress have known us for 15 years, so should be able to issue a similar certificate to the one your hubby has. We're off to Spain on Sunday, so will be on the ayuntamiento doorstep on Monday morning........ Report soon.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by del.Almendro
From your description this appears to be a form of Padron certificate that confirms the person subject of the certificate is NOT on the Padron, if you see what I mean. Perhaps this is the 'Certificate of Non-Residency' sometimes referred to on this forum. Maybe when Trafico refuse a matriculation application because of a lack of a Padron certificate, this is what they are actually looking for. Time to consult a gestor methinks. Thanks again for the advice, this could be most interesting!

Our ayuntamiento and lady mayoress have known us for 15 years, so should be able to issue a similar certificate to the one your hubby has. We're off to Spain on Sunday, so will be on the ayuntamiento doorstep on Monday morning........ Report soon.
Every couple of years our bank charge us an arm and a leg to obtain a certificate of non residency. It is to do with being a non resident taxpayer so assume it is obtained from the tax office. If I knew where and how to do it it costs about €7 the bank charged €42 last time and it goes up every time. It has been discussed on CAB Spain so there may be a link there if you search their website.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

For the record all talk of a Spanish licence in this thread is a total red herring as licences can only be issued to residents.