Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non-residence certificate for Spanish bank account

Non-residence certificate for Spanish bank account

Old Feb 16th 2017, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Ikea lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-residence certificate for Spanish bank account

I have a query about the non-residence certificate for Spanish bank accounts.

If somebody opened a bank account in Spain many years ago when working there (as a resident) then leaves Spain to return to the Uk to live but forgets to change the bank account to non-resident, what sort of problems could there be in the future if returning to Spain to work again?

For instance, when applying for the EU certificado de registro, could there be any problems? And if so, would there be fines?

Also, in such a case, would there be a need to prove one was a non-resident for the intervening years - and how could one do this?

Hope someone can help

Thanks
Old Feb 16th 2017, 8:24 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non-residence certificate for Spanish bank account

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ikea lover
I have a query about the non-residence certificate for Spanish bank accounts.

If somebody opened a bank account in Spain many years ago when working there (as a resident) then leaves Spain to return to the Uk to live but forgets to change the bank account to non-resident, what sort of problems could there be in the future if returning to Spain to work again?

For instance, when applying for the EU certificado de registro, could there be any problems? And if so, would there be fines?

Also, in such a case, would there be a need to prove one was a non-resident for the intervening years - and how could one do this?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Had a similar experience. Spanish bank account opened in the 1980s when I worked there and left it open when I left . Virtually untouched for twenty years , although I also had some savings account at the same entity. When I returned experienced no problem and simply carried on using the account.

Interesting exercise on the Hacienda website if you need to do a tax declaration to access your data you need a code they will SMS to you and your NIE/NIF ( never goes out of date , unlike registration as an EU national ) and digits from your bank account. When I did my declaration up came the old 1980s account, although I had opened a new account more convenient to where I was living at a different entity.

Never queried over "missing years" and never had any hassle of any sort.
When you get back to Spain what you do need to do is to give your bank proof of identity if you wish to carry on banking there, that is a new regulation since about 2014.
Good luck.

Last edited by Rosemary; Feb 17th 2017 at 2:21 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Feb 18th 2017, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Ikea lover is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Useful information.