Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non Lucrative Visa Questions

Non Lucrative Visa Questions

Old Feb 20th 2021, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

steve0084 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non Lucrative Visa Questions

Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding the non lucrative visa to live in Spain. I'm British, my wife is from the Philippines and we have two children below 3 years of age.
  • Would we need to apply individually, I guess it's not possible to apply together since we're different nationalities?
  • If we did apply individually who would our children be dependents of (they both have British passports)? And could the other partner apply as if they had no dependents?
  • Can someone give an estimate of how much savings we would likely need in order to apply?
  • What kind of evidence of savings would we need to provide? I know for the UK spouse visa you need to have the savings in your account for at least 6 months and wondered if the non lucrative visa had the same kind of requirements.
Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions and I hope these questions haven't been covered too much already.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Lucrative Visa Questions

You would apply as a family. It isn't savings that are required but regular income (so dividends/ pensions etc)

6. Proof of financial means (proof of a source of regular income without having to engage in any business or professional activity in Spain, for you and your family, where applicable, for the requested period of residence and in the following amounts:

1. A monthly amount of 2, 259.60 euros or its equivalent in a foreign currency to support yourself during the requested period of residence in Spain.

2. A monthly amount of 564.90 euros or its equivalent in a foreign currency for the support of your dependents during their requested period of residence in Spain. This amount is additional to the one mention in the previous point 1.

So you will need to show 47,452 euro income a year. I am not sure that if (say) you want to stay for five years, you can show 250,000 in savings and declare that you will use 50k of it a year - probably worth asking the embassy about that

Old Feb 20th 2021, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve0084
Hi everyone, I have a few questions regarding the non lucrative visa to live in Spain. I'm British, my wife is from the Philippines and we have two children below 3 years of age.
  • Would we need to apply individually, I guess it's not possible to apply together since we're different nationalities?
  • If we did apply individually who would our children be dependents of (they both have British passports)? And could the other partner apply as if they had no dependents?
  • Can someone give an estimate of how much savings we would likely need in order to apply?
  • What kind of evidence of savings would we need to provide? I know for the UK spouse visa you need to have the savings in your account for at least 6 months and wondered if the non lucrative visa had the same kind of requirements.
Thank you to anyone who can answer my questions and I hope these questions haven't been covered too much already.
FAQ for visas here........Visas (FAQ)

Old Feb 20th 2021, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I assume that as you have a young family you will need to work in which case you cant use a non lucrative Visa.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both, I've read that having sufficient savings is okay.
Old Feb 20th 2021, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both, I've read that having sufficient savings is okay.
From previous threads (and from knowledge of someone who has done this) savings mean nothing.

You have to show an INCOME of around €2.200 a month (unless like a friend who put his savings into a bond that prevents him from removing the capital) savings alone wont cut the mustard.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. What kind of evidence of income would I need to provide and for how many months? I work freelance so my income fluctuates.
Old Mar 20th 2021, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

okonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond reputeokonumiyaki has a reputation beyond repute

Bank statements showing the dividends and interest from your savings and/ or payments from your pension.

Your freelance income is pretty irrelevant for this as you can't work on a non-lucrative visa.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Would a cash ISA work?
Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

avionisto is an unknown quantity at this point

There appears to be conflicting advice on some websites:

MAIN REQUIREMENTS

• HAVING SUFFICIENT ECONOMIC FUNDS. This is the main and most important requirement. You will need to demonstrate the possession of over 30.000€ in a bank account in order to accredit that you can sustain yourself in the country.
  • PRIVATE HEALTH CONTRACT. You must possess private health insurance with a Spanish company. Make sure that the contract does not contain any copayments and it offers full coverage within the whole Spanish territory.
  • SUBMIT THE RIGHT DOCUMENTS. You will need to submit a copy of your passport, a copy of your birth certificate (you must be over 18 years old), and demonstrate clear criminal background records.

MAIN BENEFITS OF THE NON-LUCRATIVE VISA

• BRING YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS: With the non-lucrative residency, you can easily bring your relatives through the joint application that this permit offers.
  • FREE MOVEMENT WITHIN THE SCHENGEN AREA.
  • WORK REMOTELY FROM SPAIN. Even though the retirement visa does not allow you to work in Spain, you can have your clients abroad, working remotely inside the country.
  • EASY APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Just make sure to meet the main requirements and this visa will be yours easily.
  • NO NEED TO INVEST. Simply meet the 2 main requirements and this residency will be yours.
The above was copied from a site offering legal advice and services.

Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avionisto
There appears to be conflicting advice on some websites:

MAIN REQUIREMENTS

• HAVING SUFFICIENT ECONOMIC FUNDS. This is the main and most important requirement. You will need to demonstrate the possession of over 30.000€ in a bank account in order to accredit that you can sustain yourself in the country
  • FREE MOVEMENT WITHIN THE SCHENGEN AREA.
  • WORK REMOTELY FROM SPAIN. Even though the retirement visa does not allow you to work in Spain, you can have your clients abroad, working remotely inside the country.
The above was copied from a site offering legal advice and services.
This is directly from the Spanish Gov website so I would be inclined to believe this in-front of anywhere else.

Residence Visa (Non-Lucrative)

Its for the US but will be the same (or very similar for the Uk) and as this has been going longer its likely to be correct.

Go to section 10. Well here it is. And 11 as well.

10. Proof of funds: Documentation in original form with an official stamp and seal of the issuing agency that verifies sufficient economic means for the period of residency in Spain or certifies the availability of a non-working monthly income (eg. pension) that satisfies the minimum financial requirements. The minimum required funds increase with additional family members.

Documents not meeting the minimum requirements or lacking official stamps or seals (eg. photocopies) will not be accepted.

Translation: a translation of all proof of funds by a Sworn Spanish Translator​ certified by the Spanish Government (no local companies) is required, unless the original form of the document(s) is available in Spanish.

11. Copy of most recent Tax Return. Residency applicants cannot have/leave loans or mortgages in the United States when applying for residency in spain.

So it clearly states NON WORKING MONTHLY INCOME.

The NLV also states quite clearly You cannot work even remotely.
We have had this discussion on this forum umpteen times.
Even if you are remotely working YOU are still working in Spain.
Im pretty sure when you make your first tax return and you include income (which you will have too) you may find your visa cancelled.

Oh the other point about free movement. Yep 90 days in any 180 just like any other tourist. Nothing more, nothing less..Not a great selling point. I would stay away from the firm who advertises this.

Thats my 2c anyway.

Old Apr 12th 2021, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

c.canadas21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
I'm trying to move to Spain as well and find different sites say different things.

I spoke to the Spanish embassy in London and they say you cannot work remotely with this visa and that it's mainly for retired people.
At the same time a lot of immigration lawyers seem to imply/promote the non lucrative visa is the best route for remote workers.

It's all very confusing and unless you contract their services you don't get a straight answer but they seem to know a way round it. Not sure if it requires a large sum of savings?

Spain need to get with the times and offer something for people who are work remotely and would be spending there money in there country and paying taxes. Don't make sense to me!!

ALL very annoying!
Old Apr 12th 2021, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

In that case, the obvious thing to do is lobby your MP to change UK immigration rules to offer visas to immigrants who want to work remotely. Then it is likely that Spain will reciprocate for British citizens
Old Apr 13th 2021, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by c.canadas21
Hi all
I'm trying to move to Spain as well and find different sites say different things.

I spoke to the Spanish embassy in London and they say you cannot work remotely with this visa and that it's mainly for retired people.
At the same time a lot of immigration lawyers seem to imply/promote the non lucrative visa is the best route for remote workers.

It's all very confusing and unless you contract their services you don't get a straight answer but they seem to know a way round it. Not sure if it requires a large sum of savings?

Spain need to get with the times and offer something for people who are work remotely and would be spending there money in there country and paying taxes. Don't make sense to me!!

ALL very annoying!
Join the EU and you could move there. Very modern the EU.
Old Apr 13th 2021, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by c.canadas21
Hi all

ALL very annoying!
Its not confusing at all. You take notice of what the Spanish Consulate want. Not what some lawyer or internet company can offer.
Yes they may have back doors, but if you get found out. YOU will be the one who suffers.
Is it worth it, after having paid to get here, only to find out that your visa gets cancelled and you are removed from the country?? (possibly with a ban stopping you from re-entering the EU for some years)

Why should Spain get with the times, have you looked at what is involved with moving to the UK from the EU now?
These demands here in Spain, if thats what you can call them, are no different to those required previously by all 3rd country applicants (i.e.. US, Australian, Chinese, South America, Indian) and now the UK.

Have you seen whats needed to move to Australia lets say?
I have, my daughter is still waiting nearly 6 years after moving there for her full relationship visa. It cost me over £5000 and because she put one wrong date down on the form they refused her visa.
She cannot own a house, a car because she isn't resident. She has a full time job and pays more tax than a resident (although they rebate that every year). Her medicare costs more as well.
She has spent the last 18 months or so waiting for the appeal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.