Reload this Page >

Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

mah88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Originally Posted by Maur-Ross
Malaga is a lovely Spanish City. Also agree Antequera is fab with lots to do. It has English Language schools too
So I'm warming to Málaga rather than Cádiz. But Antequera is a bit too far for me. I'm looking for a place about 20 minutes or so from the city.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mah88
So I'm warming to Málaga rather than Cádiz. But Antequera is a bit too far for me. I'm looking for a place about 20 minutes or so from the city.
How about Coin, has all the shops and support services new roads and investment very Spanish, or Alaurin el grande.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I get that every other Brit seems have to the same idea about wanting to be near the beach with warm weather, but I actually want the Spanish culture too. If I could I'd go to Sevilla. Typifies Andalusian culture, beautiful city with lots to see and do. I don't even mind that it's not on the coast (only an hour anyway) but it gets too far hot for me in the summer.
But then why pick Andalucia in the first place, like many Brits do. Why not Tarragona for example, or the North of Spain if you really want culture.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 30th 2016 at 7:29 am.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Velez-Malaga is fairly Spanish without the ex-pat invasion.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by casa del sol
How about Coin, has all the shops and support services new roads and investment very Spanish, or Alaurin el grande.
Thanks maybe Alaurin. Do you know what Castañetas is like?
Old Dec 30th 2016, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
But then why pick Andalucia in the first place, like many Brits do. Why not Tarragona for example, or the North of Spain if you really want culture.
Because I actually like the native Andalusian culture despite the tourism industry doing their best to diminish it. But of course the weather is a factor for me too, so the North is a no-no.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

El Puerto de Santa María? On the rail line between Cadiz and Jerez. When I visited (briefly some 15 years ago) seemed to be a very traditional Spanish town.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyone
El Puerto de Santa María? On the rail line between Cadiz and Jerez. When I visited (briefly some 15 years ago) seemed to be a very traditional Spanish town.
Haha unfortunately that's no longer the case. I went there in 2006 and it seemed nice, but even in just 5 years it had become very tacky and touristy in 2011.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Us Antequera not on the Malaga line? Or is the station miles away from town
Old Dec 31st 2016, 4:05 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Haha unfortunately that's no longer the case. I went there in 2006 and it seemed nice, but even in just 5 years it had become very tacky and touristy in 2011.
Hola

If you think Puerta Santa Maria is tacky and touristy then there's no hope - to my mind it is one of the least touristy areas.

Davexf
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

LuisaD is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand exactly what you mean.... Nerja used to be lovely... now too many Fish and Chip bars... went to Frigiliana and stopped at a cafe where the waitress could not speak Spanish, not a good sign. So I would suggest to go inland. We went to a lovely place called Archidona, which had a lovely feel to it. Old convent selling cakes made by the nuns, nice bars and very relaxed atmosphere. Property also cheaper. Good luck with your search.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:53 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuisaD
I understand exactly what you mean.... Nerja used to be lovely... now too many Fish and Chip bars... went to Frigiliana and stopped at a cafe where the waitress could not speak Spanish, not a good sign. So I would suggest to go inland. We went to a lovely place called Archidona, which had a lovely feel to it. Old convent selling cakes made by the nuns, nice bars and very relaxed atmosphere. Property also cheaper. Good luck with your search.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 21st 2017, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I have often wondered this but when does an area change from being a non expat area to an expat area?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:14 am
Just Joined

LuisaD is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that when you get Pubs and Fish and Chips and expats sticking together and not learning the language ...
Old Jan 21st 2017, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LuisaD
I think that when you get Pubs and Fish and Chips and expats sticking together and not learning the language ...
To me that's a stereotypical perception of what constitutes an expat area.
What about places that don't have Pubs and fish and chip shops but do have plenty of expats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.