Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
So you are telling me that there are no Expats in that part of the City? Funny enough stats say that Malaga City has seen an increase and there are people from Russia, Ukraine, China, Morocco etc.
No I am not and I agree the city itself is becoming more popular as people discover the improvements made over the last few years. What I am saying is that compared to Benalmadena ,Fuengirola area and going south via Calahonda to Marbella and onwards the number of Expats ( English ) in Malaga city is much, much less and that it is possible to walk the city, dine, ( no picture menus in english ) have a drink and enjoy several areas without hardly any english being heard. That unfortunately is not possible if you are further south.

By sticking to the coast there is inevitably the problem that the Expat population is much higher, inland villages do not have that problem but the question is about the coast.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
No I am not and I agree the city itself is becoming more popular as people discover the improvements made over the last few years. What I am saying is that compared to Benalmadena ,Fuengirola area and going south via Calahonda to Marbella and onwards the number of Expats ( English ) in Malaga city is much, much less and that it is possible to walk the city, dine, ( no picture menus in english ) have a drink and enjoy several areas without hardly any english being heard. That unfortunately is not possible if you are further south.

By sticking to the coast there is inevitably the problem that the Expat population is much higher, inland villages do not have that problem but the question is about the coast.
Sure any touristic place will have more English visitors but it was just in relation to your post saying few expats. As said, most cities in Spain are full of Expats (from different countries). If you really want to avoid tourists, then that's a different story.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Bigmomma1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sabanillas is a lovely working Spanish Town with all the facilities/shops you need. However, like most Coastal locations it has its fair share of International Expats. If you do not want to be amongst the 'Expat Community' then stay clear of the Marina at Duquesa but the town has plenty of authentic Spanish cafes/bars/Restaurants.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Sure any touristic place will have more English visitors but it was just in relation to your post saying few expats. As said, most cities in Spain are full of Expats (from different countries). If you really want to avoid tourists, then that's a different story.
Just a postscript to previous comment. Malaga has a population of over 500,000, less than 10% foreigners. Marbella has a population of 138,000, over 30% foreigners.

Yes if you want to avoid tourists and expats stay away from the coast.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Bigmomma1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a postscript to previous comment. Malaga has a population of over 500,000, less than 10% foreigners. Marbella has a population of 138,000, over 30% foreigners.

Yes if you want to avoid tourists and expats stay away from the coast.
You do not have to stay away from the Coast. After a little exploration you can quickly identify the popular Expat haunts and the Spanish ones, then you can make the choice of where you frequent, works well for us.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

mah88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry and obviously other well known restaurants I didn't mention. I'm sure the next generation will think Burguer King is traditional Spanish, just like we think some things are traditional now.
That was a joke.

Last edited by mah88; Dec 29th 2016 at 4:50 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

It's not about having a city with no expats, but rather I want to live in a place that hasn't lost its Spanish culture/charm. Seeing bars with 'Full English breakfast', 'fish & chips' and the like brings me to despair. Especially when the signs are in flashing neon lights. I might as well be in Blackpool but with warmer weather.

On another note, I think Huelva is out as there doesn't seem to be much to do but mainly because it doesn't look that nice.

I get that every other Brit seems have to the same idea about wanting to be near the beach with warm weather, but I actually want the Spanish culture too. If I could I'd go to Sevilla. Typifies Andalusian culture, beautiful city with lots to see and do. I don't even mind that it's not on the coast (only an hour anyway) but it gets too far hot for me in the summer.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Why Andalucia? It seems to me there are other areas of Spain that may suit you, eg Valencia.
I did enjoy Cadiz when I stayed there for a few days.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mah88
It's not about having a city with no expats, but rather I want to live in a place that hasn't lost its Spanish culture/charm. Seeing bars with 'Full English breakfast', 'fish & chips' and the like brings me to despair. Especially when the signs are in flashing neon lights. I might as well be in Blackpool but with warmer weather.

On another note, I think Huelva is out as there doesn't seem to be much to do but mainly because it doesn't look that nice.

I get that every other Brit seems have to the same idea about wanting to be near the beach with warm weather, but I actually want the Spanish culture too. If I could I'd go to Sevilla. Typifies Andalusian culture, beautiful city with lots to see and do. I don't even mind that it's not on the coast (only an hour anyway) but it gets too far hot for me in the summer.
Antequera, a good option. Not so far from Malaga but definitely Spanish and some lovely villages nearby or fascinating towns such as Rute and Montilla, home of Pedro Jimenez, PX.

Cadiz province look at Castellar de la Frontera or Medina-Sidonia
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Why Andalucia? It seems to me there are other areas of Spain that may suit you, eg Valencia.
I did enjoy Cadiz when I stayed there for a few days.
I've already spent some time in Valencia and fancied a change.
Plus I love the Andalusian culture: the accent, the music, the history, etc.
Being an English teacher (and wanting to teach), Cádiz concerns me as it's got the worst unemployment record in the whole of Spain. Not necessarily looking for work as I have my own company, but people won't be able to afford lessons.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bigmomma1
Sabanillas is a lovely working Spanish Town with all the facilities/shops you need. However, like most Coastal locations it has its fair share of International Expats. If you do not want to be amongst the 'Expat Community' then stay clear of the Marina at Duquesa but the town has plenty of authentic Spanish cafes/bars/Restaurants.
Too far from Málaga but thanks anyway.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Antequera, a good option. Not so far from Malaga but definitely Spanish and some lovely villages nearby or fascinating towns such as Rute and Montilla, home of Pedro Jimenez, PX.

Cadiz province look at Castellar de la Frontera or Medina-Sidonia
I think a village or town like 10-20 minutes max from Málaga would be good.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 5:43 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

If you're teaching English there is a school called Active Language in Cádiz (city not region) that I've been told is good

Davexf
Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

If you're teaching English there is a school called Active Language in Cádiz (city not region) that I've been told is good

Davexf
Get me a job there and it's a deal
Old Dec 29th 2016, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Malaga is a lovely Spanish City. Also agree Antequera is fab with lots to do. It has English Language schools too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.