Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non Expat Area in Andalusian Coast

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have often wondered this but when does an area change from being a non expat area to an expat area?
Maybe there is some official statistic on "Expats per square /km " which could contribute to a definition.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuisaD
I think that when you get Pubs and Fish and Chips and expats sticking together and not learning the language ...
One has to wonder then if the small British towns with Tapas bars of which there are plenty should be referred to as Spanish expat ghettos or those with the abundance of pizza and Italian food places as Italian expat ghettos. Or could it just be the spread of multiculrurism that many Spanish don't mind actually. Burger King and McDonald's seem popular in Spain. By the way we Brits do make the best fish and chips so why wouldn't people want them?
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't get this "Spanish Culture" thing in reality it does not exits

Culture is about what you do and who with i.e. your friends and family not where

Moving to a non expat area or a village ful of Spanish culture will not automatically give you "membership" of this as you will be an outsider and it will take time and in many case years

These villages with their cultures have nice people and bad people, they have people you will like and people you will not like, some people will like you others won't etc. the same anywhere in the world

I get it to a point people want to be away form English breakfast and fish and chips to a point but you don't have to use them and often it is simply a dream or some kind of snobbery.

One of my Spanish friends loves an English breakfast but he is no way under the impression that brits eat this everyday or it is UK culture.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my Spanish friends loves an English breakfast but he is no way under the impression that brits eat this everyday or it is UK culture.
He needs introducing to "Eastenders" they all have a full English every day.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
He needs introducing to "Eastenders" they all have a full English every day.
Yes and are they any the happier for it?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought JEREZ was lovely, lots of character, working city, very Spanish. Not too many tourists. Beaches within 30 mins drive. But the spanish mainly live in apartment blocks !! Cadiz also nice but jammed with tourists.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
I really don't get this "Spanish Culture" thing in reality it does not exits

Culture is about what you do and who with i.e. your friends and family not where

Moving to a non expat area or a village ful of Spanish culture will not automatically give you "membership" of this as you will be an outsider and it will take time and in many case years

These villages with their cultures have nice people and bad people, they have people you will like and people you will not like, some people will like you others won't etc. the same anywhere in the world

I get it to a point people want to be away form English breakfast and fish and chips to a point but you don't have to use them and often it is simply a dream or some kind of snobbery.

Exactly and even Spanish no longer want to live in cave houses. When does culture start and when does it end. Maybe black beard the pirate is British Culture.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuisaD
I think that when you get Pubs and Fish and Chips and expats sticking together and not learning the language ...

You mean when you get things that you don't like but others do?
Old Jan 27th 2017, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mah88
I'm looking for a place to move to by the Andalusian coast that still has the native Spanish culture and not full of tower blocks etc.

Does Málaga still retain its Spanish charm or are there too many expats there?

Looking for a large town or city near the coast where there is lots to do but still is essentially Spanish.
We love Almunecar and stay for 10 weeks Jan to April and then another 6 weeks end of September. It's a lovely working town with a good mix of other nationalities. Few Brit type bars and proper tapas with your drink, plenty of good restaurants, lovely walks and enough shops to do most shopping but only a bus ride to Malaga or Grenada.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that some British people want to live in their version of a Spanish fantasy that does not exist

Your average Spaniard lives in a tower block, goes to McDonalds or Burger King once a week and buys their clothes from Primark and furniture from Ikea
Old Jan 27th 2017, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
It seems to me that some British people want to live in their version of a Spanish fantasy that does not exist

Your average Spaniard lives in a tower block, goes to McDonalds or Burger King once a week and buys their clothes from Primark and furniture from Ikea
And don't forget to drive a SEAT. If not, you certainly will be seen as an Expat
Old Jan 27th 2017, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I can hardly believe my luck, I've been Spanish all along!
Old Jan 28th 2017, 8:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The average Spanish family in my area live in a town house, eats in the local bars and restaurants when they can afford to, buy their clothes from places such as C & A and small independent shops and their furniture from a local store. I am told that a trip to McDonalds or Burger King is forbidden in general so the kids see it as a treat and will ask to go there on their birthday or when the parents want to congratulate them on their school work.

So my experience is totally different but I live in a small town, no tourists, lack of people from elsewhere and old fashioned values.

Rosemary
Old Jan 28th 2017, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I think many of the younger Spanish prefer apartment living in urban centres and the fast food culture that ensues as a result.
The traditional values of generations of families living together are, unfortunately, slowly but surely being eroded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.