Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Non EU resident, UK spouse dies

Non EU resident, UK spouse dies

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

larryX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non EU resident, UK spouse dies

I have a friend who is a Canadian. Married to a UK citizen.

He has had ´family residence' for many years but his wife has just died.

I have another friend, also non EU, who when she got divorced from her British husband, was told later, that she should have contacted the Immigration Dept and have had her 'family' residencia changed.

Does anyone know what my friend, who has just lost his wife, must do ?

Thanks Larry
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:52 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non EU resident, UK spouse dies

Originally Posted by larryX
I have a friend who is a Canadian. Married to a UK citizen.

He has had ´family residence' for many years but his wife has just died.

I have another friend, also non EU, who when she got divorced from her British husband, was told later, that she should have contacted the Immigration Dept and have had her 'family' residencia changed.

Does anyone know what my friend, who has just lost his wife, must do ?

Thanks Larry
Sorry to hear about your friend, He should contact the UK Border Agency They are probably the people he will need as he will need to change his visa.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

larryX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry to hear about your friend, He should contact the UK Border Agency They are probably the people he will need as he will need to change his visa.
Sorry JDR I should have said I am talking about Spain. My friend has family residencia status in Spain.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 7:04 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a family member of an EU national then you are issued with an old style residency card and you retain the right of residence in Spain when the EU national dies or you are divorced.

The details are at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...77:0123:EN:PDF

They will need to complete a new application form to tell them of the change of personal circumstances. The form is available at http://extranjeros.meyss.es/es/Model...omunitario.pdf

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 3rd 2012 at 7:09 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by larryX
Sorry JDR I should have said I am talking about Spain. My friend has family residencia status in Spain.
That is the department for people living in Spain, click the link.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:06 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

What has the UK border agency got to do with living in Spain?
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fred James
What has the UK border agency got to do with living in Spain?
Aren`t they are the people that deal with UK Visas, he will need his changed, click on the link.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:28 pm

No one has suggested that he wants to go to the UK - just to regularise his situation in Spain.

He would have a residencia card so can stay in Spain forever!