British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   No Deal Brexit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/no-deal-brexit-920941/)

Fred James Jan 11th 2019 3:29 pm

No Deal Brexit

This, from UK Govt this afternoon, may be of interest.

Spanish government announcement on EU Exit
The Spanish government has confirmed its intention to protect UK citizens’ rights in the event of the UK leaving the EU without a deal. Issues of residency, social security, healthcare and recognition of academic qualifications will be covered in a “royal decree” (further legislation) expected in February.

They also intend to launch a website on 14 January to provide information for both citizens and businesses.

Source https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...tent=immediate

spainrico Jan 11th 2019 5:00 pm

Re: No Deal Brexit

Thanks, Fred. Good to know.

I think Italy has announced something similar. Nice to know some countries actually thinking about people.

Loafing Along Jan 11th 2019 5:18 pm

There is a bit of a sting in the tail : "As long as there is a reciprocal agreement for the Spaniards that live in the UK " is the final part of the text from the Spanish government

1sexsmith Jan 11th 2019 5:34 pm

Yes. Remember this is in the event of a no -deal which after the latest amendments seems to becoming less likely. If a deal is approved we then have an extension period where all rights will remain. Also there seems to be a growing consensus that article 50 could be suspended to provide more time for the UK to reach some kind of reasoned approach. So all in all it could be some time before Brexit really kicks in

Fred James Jan 11th 2019 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Loafing Along (Post 12620149)
There is a bit of a sting in the tail : "As long as there is a reciprocal agreement for the Spaniards that live in the UK " is the final part of the text from the Spanish government

As far as I am aware, the UK government have already committed to that.

BritInParis Jan 12th 2019 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12620191)

They have. The EU has not. Good to see individual member states acting unilaterally to do the right thing.

newpower Jan 12th 2019 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12620191)

what they say and what happens are 2 different things, the UK government have not signed anything yet.

bobd22 Jan 12th 2019 8:16 am

Originally Posted by newpower (Post 12620351)
what they say and what happens are 2 different things, the UK government have not signed anything yet.

Personally I see your comment as quite negative. They have not signed anything yet because no one has signed anything off yet! It is positive that individual countries are both planning for the possibility of no deal to protect the likes of many of us. After all no deal hasn't happened yet either and may never happen, but prior planning and preparation is good from all parties.

BritInParis Jan 12th 2019 9:25 am

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

Fred James Jan 12th 2019 10:00 am

You should read this

https://assets.publishing.service.go...eal_Brexit.pdf

Hornets_Nest Jan 12th 2019 2:57 pm

The biggest threat to those Ex Pats living all over the EU who rely upon pension(s) is a fall in the £ which is very likely in the event of a no deal Brexit. Not only will it impact on income levels but it may also depress the house market in Spain as properties will become less affordable for people from the UK.

Lets see what happens but I can't see anything good coming from Brexit.

BritInParis Jan 12th 2019 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest (Post 12620454)
The biggest threat to those Ex Pats living all over the EU who rely upon pension(s) is a fall in the £ which is very likely in the event of a no deal Brexit. Not only will it impact on income levels but it may also depress the house market in Spain as properties will become less affordable for people from the UK.

Lets see what happens but I can't see anything good coming from Brexit.

The pound has gone pretty much as low as it will go. A ‘No Deal’ Brexit would depress it further for a while but it would start to climb again after six months or so when the sky has failed to fall in. I would more concerned about the next recession that’s brewing.

philat98 Jan 13th 2019 5:38 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12620621)
The pound has gone pretty much as low as it will go. A ‘No Deal’ Brexit would depress it further for a while but it would start to climb again after six months or so when the sky has failed to fall in. I would more concerned about the next recession that’s brewing.

In the next financial crisis I wonder if those medicines QE and austerity are going to be any good?

minouette Jan 13th 2019 5:02 pm

It seems it started showing even in mighty DE ...

Mike Gas Jan 13th 2019 11:58 pm

Wow love the FX predictions if your that certain put your money into the mighty GBP