British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   No chassis number on my motorbike! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/no-chassis-number-my-motorbike-736477/)

Soapdish Oct 21st 2011 10:29 pm

No chassis number on my motorbike!

Hi everyone,
I think I have a unique problem. In 2005 I bought a Piaggio Gilera SP 49ccthrough a proper motorbike place and I have a great bike, no problem. Basically after 6 years its only got 11,890 km, gets me to work and back. So 2 years ago it had its first ITV, again no problem. Today I went for its 2nd ITV, everything mechanical was fine... then came the big surprise.. MY MOTORBIKE HAS NO CHASSIS NUMBER ON THE CHASSIS! The paperwork is all correct, the guy at ITV asked if I had had a major accident and changed the parts.. I said, look at the bike, its like completely new with all the original parts!! I went back to the place where I bought it, who is also my mechanic, he literally stripped the bike and he couldn´t fing the "numero de bastidor". He called the supplier and now I have to wait till Monday to see what happens.
Does anyone have any idea where I stand in this situation? I mean will I get the value of the bike or a new bike? Who is responsible? Who will compensate me? HELP!!!

Fredbargate Oct 22nd 2011 6:48 am

Re: No chassis number on my motorbike!

I have just imported into Gib a Yamaha 100cc I bought 9 years ago in Spain.
The chassis number is on a tag riveted to the back panel support and not stamped into the frame,neither are there any marks to suggest the number has been removed from the chassis.

Soapdish Oct 22nd 2011 8:58 am

Well, no there wouldn´t be....I mean I bought the bike brand new, I have bought 4 motorbikes for myself and my sons from these people in the last 13 years..they are a honest hardworking family business, in fact, the place is now run by the son (with his dad) who is the 3rd generation of motorbike mechanics, trained in Barcelona up to GP standard! The dad can´t read or write very well, but when it comes to bikes, the man´s a genius!! The dad says that in all the 40 years he´s worked as a mechanic, its the first time he´s ever come across it!! There is nothing at all where the bike number should be stamped, completely smooth...the "big" guy is coming on Monday to check it out! Only thing I would like to know is, where does this leave me?? I am not allowed to ride it until this is all sorted!

Fredbargate Oct 22nd 2011 10:05 am

I am not sure what the exact procedure with registering a new vehicle is in Spain. All I know is that I have paid and then collected a few days later when the shop has done all the necessary paperwork.

However in Gib a new vehicle has to be taken to the MOT / ITV centre were numbers etc. are checked ( the vehicle is not tested ) does this happen in Spain? if so is there a record of it?

Soapdish Oct 22nd 2011 12:55 pm

The vehicle is given to you with all the documentation and I am told that the chassis number is checked at Customs when the bike is imported. Also, when the bike is manufactured the number on the bike is passed through a laser.. so accordingly the documents are then issued!! I just suppose that my bike slipped through somehow...the last ITV/MOT it passed because the guy didn´t check the number on the chassis. Unless the bike is stolen or had a major accident or if the local police stop you and your paperwork isn´t in order, then they don´t really check the number on the chassis.
In the last 6 years I have had the bike, the police have stopped me at controls, looked at the paperwork and wave me along...the MOT guy 2 years ago did the same.. I dont know if I am lucky or unlucky that the ITV guy did a thorough check!!