British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   NIE & Residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/nie-residency-932861/)

Emmaandrichi May 25th 2020 7:02 pm

NIE & Residency

Hola Todos,

I received my NIE number in February. I returned to the UK to do a short course and got locked down here. I will fly back to Spain in July. At this point my NIE will be older than 3 months. I understand that the number will still be valid, but not to paper. Will I need to get a new paper with this number in order to apply for residency?
Currently there are no appointments on the Mercury system - for obvious reasons. When the world starts turning again I want to have my residency application submitted. Any advice / insight much appreciated.

Many thanks,
E

Barriej May 25th 2020 7:15 pm

Re: NIE & Residency

Originally Posted by Emmaandrichi (Post 12857780)
Hola Todos,

I received my NIE number in February. I returned to the UK to do a short course and got locked down here. I will fly back to Spain in July. At this point my NIE will be older than 3 months. I understand that the number will still be valid, but not to paper. Will I need to get a new paper with this number in order to apply for residency?
Currently there are no appointments on the Mercury system - for obvious reasons. When the world starts turning again I want to have my residency application submitted. Any advice / insight much appreciated.

Many thanks,
E

Wont matter, you don't need to provide any paperwork showing your NIE. We have ours from about 2 years ago and there is no date on the paper.

Joppa May 25th 2020 8:20 pm

Just enter your NIE number on the EX18 residency application form.

snikpoh May 26th 2020 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Emmaandrichi (Post 12857780)
Hola Todos,

Many thanks,
E

Why do you think your NIE might expire? It doesn't.

A long time ago the NIE certificate only lasted 3 months but they soon 'corrected this error'.

When you go to sign on the list of foreigners, your existing NIE will be used.

missile May 26th 2020 11:00 am

You might want to employ a Gestor local to where you live? He should know what is possible and might be able to help you to jump the queue.

Barriej May 26th 2020 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12857993)
You might want to employ a Gestor local to where you live? He should know what is possible and might be able to help you to jump the queue.

This is what we are doing. Our new arrival date is the 19th August and our solicitor is going to start trying to book our appointment about a week earlier.