Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NIE change to non-Spanish address?

NIE change to non-Spanish address?

Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute
Default NIE change to non-Spanish address?

Can anyone help with this - was Resident in Spain for 10+ years with permanent Resident NIE card - small green one - which shows Spanish address. I have now moved to another EU country and have completed Modelo 030 to confirm my new address and departure from Spain. I receive a Spanish pension so my NIE number is still relevant but the address printed on the little card is now incorrect. Is it possible to get an NIE certificate of some sort as a non-resident, with new address on it, or indeed no address at all? Difficult if not impossible to go to Spain at present with Covid restrictions and distance involved - can it be done on line?
I do not want to give up my present NIE card as it is a Permanent Resident card which would allow me to return to Spain as previous resident within the next 4 years and have no need of the TIR, as not actually Resident at present!
Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE change to non-Spanish address?

I do not understand the point of your question - if you return with a foreign address on your card it will still need changing?

Anyway I do not think it is possible - the green card system is finished in terms of re-issues as the TIE is now the only option for non-EU Brits (assume you are?)
Old Apr 11th 2021, 11:13 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you've voluntarily finished your Spanish residency and if you return to Spain and want to become a resident again you'd have to do it as any normal third country national.

A NIE is just a fiscal number, it doesn't give any residency rights but it is for life, you could use form EX-15 to update your details at the Spanish consulate in the country where you are.

Número de Identidad de Extranjero (NIE) - Ministerio del Interior

Last edited by DLC; Apr 11th 2021 at 11:18 am.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond reputeRambling archer has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DLC - I will check that out. The main reason for asking is that the little green card is what I have available when spanish authority, eg INSS for the pension, asks for NIE, and of course it conflicts with the correct address which is my new residence - I am getting correspondence at the new address but could do without the complication of an incorrect address in Spain on this "official" document. I don't particularly want residency rights (not now obviously and not desperate in the future) but do want something I can present as a document proving my NIE number when dealing with matters in Spain as a (now) non-resident. Perhaps better to use the Modelo 030 which shows non-residency and the NIE number, but is not what normally is asked for ...
Old Apr 11th 2021, 12:14 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I think (not sure) they'll give you a new white certificate with your NIE on it. You may have to ask for it, or confirm with the consulate beforehand.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. Will investigate further.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Can anyone help with this - was Resident in Spain for 10+ years with permanent Resident NIE card - small green one - which shows Spanish address. I have now moved to another EU country and have completed Modelo 030 to confirm my new address and departure from Spain. I receive a Spanish pension so my NIE number is still relevant but the address printed on the little card is now incorrect. Is it possible to get an NIE certificate of some sort as a non-resident, with new address on it, or indeed no address at all? Difficult if not impossible to go to Spain at present with Covid restrictions and distance involved - can it be done on line?
I do not want to give up my present NIE card as it is a Permanent Resident card which would allow me to return to Spain as previous resident within the next 4 years and have no need of the TIR, as not actually Resident at present!
Thanks in advance.

Your NIE number has nothing to do with your address and as you imply it is still valid even if you dont live in Spain. If you have recently left Spain and had residency for more than 5 years then you status would have automatically have been permanent meaning you can be absent for up to 5 years without losing your pro-Brexit rights.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 3:39 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

Remember, the green certificate only allows two years of absence before residency lapses and I guess at this time it would be difficult to get it upgraded to a TIE.

Also, if he confirmed he was not a resident with Modelo 030, then presumably he gave those rights up.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 3:57 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The withdrawal agreement allows 5 years absence. Form 030 merely advises the tax authorities that you are no longer fiscally resident.

There is no time limit on exchanging the green registration document for a TIE so basically nothing chnges and he can return when he likes within 5 years.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all, but meantime until I do something about it, the green card has my old Spanish address on it ... and tends to confirm Residency in Spain, rather than just be a confirmation of NIE Tax number which is what I need at present. It looks like if I need to, it will be the X15 request to be given into the Spanish Embassy/Consulate in my new country of residence, which of course is not easy at present, will take an age to get processed and also it is a fair distance away!
Cheers, then
RA
Old Apr 11th 2021, 5:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I really don’t think the address is relevant. If you leave Spain for 5 years, it’s almost certain your address will change, possibly many times. So long as you can prove you were resident in Spain less than 5 years before you return, you will retain your right of residence. When you return, you can get the address updated.

That said, if you do return to Spain at any time, it would make sense to exchange your registration document for a TIE.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling archer
Thanks in advance.
You seem to be confused about the green credit card style residency card with the NIE number. If you've left Spain then the green residency card is invalid and doesn't need to have a change of address. The NIE number is for life and doesn't necessarily need to have an address attached to it. So I can't understand what you are asking about.

Steve
Old Apr 11th 2021, 9:09 pm

Who says it is invalid? The Spanish government and the UK government say it is valid.
Old Apr 12th 2021, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Who says it is invalid? The Spanish government and the UK government say it is valid.
yes you are correct Fred. I phrased it wrong. It is valid but of no use as a residency card until a return to Spain. I assume I'm correct on the other points though?

Steve
Old Apr 12th 2021, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tebo53
yes you are correct Fred. I phrased it wrong. It is valid but of no use as a residency card until a return to Spain. I assume I'm correct on the other points though?

Steve
Thanks but as I said, I do not want it as a residency card at present, but at the moment the green card is the only document I have (having initially got my NIE as resident ) to present anywhere to confirm my NIE number. It sounds like I perhaps ought to fill in the E15 and obtain a new piece of paper which does NOT refer to residency, but allows me to continue to use my NIE number (as said previously - issued for life!) as a NON-resident, and with my foreign address on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.