Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

NIE - is it a card or a piece of paper?

NIE - is it a card or a piece of paper?

Old Mar 21st 2018, 7:00 am
Just Joined

CarolineNick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NIE - is it a card or a piece of paper?

Hi there

We’re in the process of obtaining our NIE (lawyer is dealing with it via a Power of Attorney). I’ve read on a few sites that it’s a piece of paper that you need to use along with your passport and that most places you need to show it will want to see the original (not a photocopy).

I’ve seen some articles, however, that refer to the Spanish government intending to introduce a credit card sized plastic card, but the most recent was a few years ago. So I’m wondering if there’s been any decision on this - are folk still having to go about with a piece of paper and a passport or has the government introduced the cards?

Thanks, Caroline and Nick.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE - is it a card or a piece of paper?

Mine is simply on a sheet of paper not heard of any other changes?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarolineNick
Hi there

We’re in the process of obtaining our NIE (lawyer is dealing with it via a Power of Attorney). I’ve read on a few sites that it’s a piece of paper that you need to use along with your passport and that most places you need to show it will want to see the original (not a photocopy).

I’ve seen some articles, however, that refer to the Spanish government intending to introduce a credit card sized plastic card, but the most recent was a few years ago. So I’m wondering if there’s been any decision on this - are folk still having to go about with a piece of paper and a passport or has the government introduced the cards?

Thanks, Caroline and Nick.
Its usually printed on a white A4 sheet along with other information. Not heard of it going onto a plastic card.

The "Residencia" card (as some people call it) is the size of a credit card but it's a lightweight green card with all your details on it including your NIE number.

Steve
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for both the replies......... it may be that I'm getting confused with the residence card. I guess we should buy wallets for the passports and NIE sheet otherwise who knows how tatty they'll become!

Thanks, Caroline.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for both the replies......... it may be that I'm getting confused with the residence card. I guess we should buy wallets for the passports and NIE sheet otherwise who knows how tatty they'll become!

Thanks, Caroline.
It's on A4 & you should also get a plastic card-sized bit of paper as well. I had the small paper bit "plasticised" so that it would fit in my wallet & wear a longer time. Bear in mind that it doesn't serve as ID as it doesn't have a foto.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:20 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
It's on A4 & you should also get a plastic card-sized bit of paper as well. I had the small paper bit "plasticised" so that it would fit in my wallet & wear a longer time. Bear in mind that it doesn't serve as ID as it doesn't have a foto.
But that's only for the document that shows you've signed on the list of residents (sometimes called residency card/certificate or, wrongly, residencia).

Your NIE certificate is ALWAYS a white, A4 sheet of paper.

One should NOT laminate either document as this makes them invalid!
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Relax folks unless you are going to the notary of something official just file your NIEs away safely and keep your passports safe in a drawer. There is no need to carry them around.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
But that's only for the document that shows you've signed on the list of residents (sometimes called residency card/certificate or, wrongly, residencia).

Your NIE certificate is ALWAYS a white, A4 sheet of paper.

One should NOT laminate either document as this makes them invalid!
Too late! Have done. Filed away safely!
Old Mar 21st 2018, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
You don't automatically get the "Residencia" card when applying for the NIE number. You only get that when you've signed on the foreigners register etc etc.

Steve
Old Mar 21st 2018, 3:23 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Relax folks unless you are going to the notary of something official just file your NIEs away safely and keep your passports safe in a drawer. There is no need to carry them around.
...until, of course, you get stopped by the GC for something.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:06 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
...until, of course, you get stopped by the GC for something.
... then you show them your SPANISH driving licence which has your NIE, photo etc. on it - this usually suffices.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Snikpoh

I see you’re “retired and loving it” and I’m a little bit jealous as we’re still doing the daily slog for another few years yet!

We’re at the stage of having had an offer accepted on a house in Andalucía and the paperwork is in motion, so keys by June fingers crossed. We’ll only manage some weeks and long weekends each year between now and when we retire - we might buy a cheap second hand car or just hire. Do you know if we can hold a Spanish licence at the same time as a UK one, or is it either/or? I’m just thinking it would be good to have some sort of ID I can keep in my purse and carry around for when needed.

Thanks, Caroline.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Snikpoh

I see you’re “retired and loving it” and I’m a little bit jealous as we’re still doing the daily slog for another few years yet!

We’re at the stage of having had an offer accepted on a house in Andalucía and the paperwork is in motion, so keys by June fingers crossed. We’ll only manage some weeks and long weekends each year between now and when we retire - we might buy a cheap second hand car or just hire. Do you know if we can hold a Spanish licence at the same time as a UK one, or is it either/or? I’m just thinking it would be good to have some sort of ID I can keep in my purse and carry around for when needed.

Thanks, Caroline.
You cannot hold both licences, you exchange your UK one for a Spanish one.

Rosemary
Old Mar 21st 2018, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rosemary, thanks for replying so quickly. Caroline.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Officially the only form of ID that is acceptable is a national ID card or passport. The requirement to always carry ID was abolished some time ago, but if stopped by the police they have the right to ask you to prove your identity.

Sadly the UK do not issue ID cards, so the passport is the only official ID document. As has been said, a Spanish driving licence is usually acceptable, as was the old residency card. It is easy to get a copy of your passport officially verified which avoids the need to carry the passport.

Personally I have an A4 sheet with my passport, driving licence and certificate of registration which has been verified and stamped officially which I keep in my car.

The only time I have been asked for ID was when I picked up a speeding ticket. I was in another car (a test drive) and had no documents at all (left in my car). I have an app on my phone called “Alert Cops” which is registered with my personal details with the Guardia and that was accepted without any problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.