Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

nice work if you can get it - estate agent scam?

nice work if you can get it - estate agent scam?

Old Oct 31st 2010, 10:15 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default nice work if you can get it - estate agent scam?

some people I know have been house hunting for a new rental

they paid an agent a 'viewing fee' - I hadn't heard of that before - just a couple of hundred I think (they're are being cagey about just HOW much)

so all well & good - they found a property they liked & stupidly gave the agent well over 1000 euros as a deposit/holding fee

less than a week later they had to pull out due to a change of circumstances which could have risked breaking the contract at a later date

better to pull out now, they thought, as they are responsible enough to not enter into an agreement which they might not be able to keep

yes, you've got it - the agent is refusing to give the money back!!!

is there anything they can do?

apparently nothing was signed

I've suggested denouncing them - going to the papers - or at the very least asking for the complaints book!
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:08 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nice work if you can get it - estate agent scam?

EA are not top of my christmas card list but I don't agree that this is a scam.
For a car, new furniture, holiday etc - you pay a deposit would you expect to have it returned?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:34 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
EA are not top of my christmas card list but I don't agree that this is a scam.
For a car, new furniture, holiday etc - you pay a deposit would you expect to have it returned?
Yes, if I couldnt go - unless it is quite clear that its non refundable before paying???? Also there is a legal "cooling down period", whereby either party have a certain amount of time to change their minds in the UK, is this an EU regulation too???

Jo xxx
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lynnxa

apparently nothing was signed
Does this mean there is no paperwork whatsoever including no receipt detailing what the money was for? No newspaper will print a story without proof that money had been paid and what for.

Rent and breakages deposit is usually paid direct to the owner, if the rent was 500 pm the 1000 could represent the agents fee i.e 2 x monthly rent.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

So...they handed over the readies...and nothing was signed. In Internet speak, that's a FAIL.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:54 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
So...they handed over the readies...and nothing was signed. In Internet speak, that's a FAIL.

It does sound a tad stupid doesnt it!!??? Was this a reputable agents??? Cos I dont believe a reputable agent would take a huge sum of money without any guarantees ???????

Jo xxxx
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:09 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Yes, if I couldnt go - unless it is quite clear that its non refundable before paying???? Also there is a legal "cooling down period", whereby either party have a certain amount of time to change their minds in the UK, is this an EU regulation too???

Jo xxx
"Yes, if I couldnt go -" nothing to stop you asking

Can you point to a link for this legal "cooling down period" in the UK?

In my world a deposit is forfiet if you change your mind.

Last edited by missile; Oct 31st 2010 at 12:14 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:33 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by missile
"Yes, if I couldnt go -" nothing to stop you asking

Can you point to a link for this legal "cooling down period" in the UK?

In my world a deposit is forfiet if you change your mind.
No I cant find a link, altho google has a lot of references to it! But it was pretty much known in the UK when an agreement is signed or a promise made that under most conditions there is a period of time in which either party can change their minds

Jo xxx
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:37 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

The owner could well have lost a letting opportunity in the intervening week. The deposit/holding fee was precisely to try to avoid the renter reneging on the deal. What does anyone think a holding fee is for?
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:43 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by jimenato
The owner could well have lost a letting opportunity in the intervening week. The deposit/holding fee was precisely to try to avoid the renter reneging on the deal. What does anyone think a holding fee is for?
If its being held for a week, then the holding fee should be for a weeks rent!!

Jo xxx
Old Oct 31st 2010, 12:45 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

No I cant find a link, altho google has a lot of references to it! But it was pretty much known in the UK when an agreement is signed or a promise made that under most conditions there is a period of time in which either party can change their minds

Jo xxx
http://www.contractsandagreements.co...-refunded.html

It seems that cooling off periods don't usually apply to tenancies.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
http://www.contractsandagreements.co...-refunded.html

It seems that cooling off periods don't usually apply to tenancies.
One of the lawyers on another site said much the same, no cooling off period on rentals.
Dear Sir,

Thre is no cooling-off period in rentals.

Yours faithfully,
Raymundo Larraín Nesbitt
Old Oct 31st 2010, 1:21 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by agoreira
One of the lawyers on another site said much the same, no cooling off period on rentals.

So its down to a gesture of good will on the part of the estate agent and we all know about their "goodwill"!!! Hhhmmm, I used to advise using them, maybe my viewpoint is changing

Jo xxx
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:15 pm
Started off with nothing

Jo xxx
I think you may be thinking of the distance selling regulations which do allow a 14 day period. AFIK there is no period of grace when you are present at the point of purchase.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 6:16 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

so everyone seems to think it might not actually be illegal

it seems immoral to me though - even if it was 'on hold' for a week - surely keeping the equivalent of a month rent is a bit OTT!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.