Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Nice experience with Spanish bureaucracy

Nice experience with Spanish bureaucracy

Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nice experience with Spanish bureaucracy

It seems like people are always complaining about Spanish bureaucracy, so I thought I'd relate a nice experience we had last week.

My wife and I recently purchased a flat in northern Spain to use as a holiday home. Knowing that we would need to file non-resident taxes for the flat, we applied for our digital certificates so that we could pay via Internet. Part of the process is to verify your identity at the tax office. So, since we were in Spain at Christmas time, we went.

When we got there, we were directed to one woman who checked the printout from the online application that we brought and looked up our information on the system. My wife was in the system since she's a Spanish citizen, but I wasn't. So she sent us to another window where I had to sign up. There, another guy helped me fill out the necessary forms and then entered me into the system right then.

We were next sent back to the original window, where the woman we first spoke to had left. But another woman told us that her co-worker had left her all the information about us and she knew what to do. She checked my information, which was now in the system, and in five minutes had finished the process to issue the certificates, which she told us could be downloaded the next day.

All told, we spent under an hour there (it wasn't very crowded that day). Everyone we spoke to was very helpful and efficient.

When we got back home to Boston, I went online to download the digital certificates, and that worked without a hitch.

One final note: After we left the tax office, we went for a coffee nearby. My mother-in-law called me on my cell phone telling me I had left my passport in the tax office. We have given them my in-laws' address and phone number as a local contact info, so I guess they called there. We ran back to the tax office and when we got there, the security guard at the front door cheerfully handed me my passport without us even saying anything.

- Eric S.

Last edited by Eric S; Jan 8th 2015 at 3:10 am.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 3:50 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice experience with Spanish bureaucracy

Fantastic - well done.

PS - is that Boston in Lincs?
Old Jan 8th 2015, 4:19 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear from someone who has a story with a happy ending
Old Jan 8th 2015, 5:05 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It worked smoothly for us when we first applied. A couple of minutes on the PC, print out a piece of paper with a code on it and then down to our town hall.

We just showed our ID and a couple of minutes later it was done. Back home and downloaded the certificates to the PC in under a minute.

On a lot of IT systems, Spain is miles ahead of the UK - possibly because most of their systems have been set up recently and they haven't had to cope with ageing existing systems that need updating.

The way the health service deals with online appointments and prescriptions is amazingly good.
Old Jan 8th 2015, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Fantastic - well done.

PS - is that Boston in Lincs?
Boston, Massachusetts, USA.