Reload this Page >

NIA help needed!!

NIA help needed!!

Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

jenniferlewis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NIA help needed!!

Hi everyone!

I am planning on moving to Madrid in January to be a tefl teacher. I am currently doing my research into the paperwork and admin I need to do before the move and have been petrified by some of the websites relating stories of moving to Spain and applying for a NIE number. Firstly how do I make an appointment to receive my NIE number?

I have heard that I can apply for an NIE number whilst still in the UK and have contacted the Spanish consulate in England but they directed me to the ministry of justice website which has nothing to do with an NIE number. If anyone has recently applied for a number in the UK and been successful I would really love to hear your experiences and some guidance on what to do.

Many thanks- Jenny

Last edited by jenniferlewis; Oct 31st 2011 at 2:42 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:39 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIA help needed!!

jenniferlewis;9706288]Hi everyone!

I am planning on moving to Madrid in January to be a tefl teacher. I am currently doing my research into the paperwork and admin I need to do before the move and have been petrified by some of the websites relating stories of moving to Spain and applying for a NIA number. Firstly how do I make an appointment to receive my NIA number?

I have heard that I can apply for an NIA number whilst still in the UK and have contacted the Spanish consulate in England but they directed me to the ministry of justice website which has nothing to do with an NIA number. If anyone has recently applied for a number in the UK and been successful I would really love to hear your experiences and some guidance on what to do.

NIE Number.

My solicitor got mine while doing the house purchase.

I was in the UK at the time and did nothing.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome, NIE number maybe ? Numero Identificacion de Extranjeros. If that is what you are looking for I believe it is much more costly to do from UK than from within Spain. Cost approx 140 euros.

You need to find your nearest National Police Station (comisaría), with a foreigners’ department (Oficina de Extranjeros) They have the form you need to complete. You will need your passport and copy ( more than one of everything copied is best) Some ask for passport style photos nobody I know down here near Sevilla has ever been asked for that.
With completed form you need to go and pay at the banks that accept payment for it. I believe in Madrid they are issued immediately.

As with everything here it is different from region to region. Mine was done for me free of cost and the paper with number on was 10 euros.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: NIE help needed!!

Hi, Yes it is an NIE (Sorry)

I am moving to Madrid, is it possible to make an appointment in advance? I have heard stories of people lining around the corner to get served and I find that scary!

Also I speak very little Spanish and certainly think I will struggle to fill in complicated Spanish paperwork, is there usually an English speaker or translator?

Many thanks

Jenny
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

No need to be sorry I saw the NIE further down in your post after I had sent my reply. This might help http://www.costatropic.com/nie_form.php

Cannot help with whether any translators would be available or not as I am way down near Sevilla :-) I think it may be possible to make an app. but as I said mine was done for me. Some gestors will do it for a cost, best to ask a round for prices as they vary.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NIE help needed!!

Originally Posted by jenniferlewis
Hi, Yes it is an NIE (Sorry)

I am moving to Madrid, is it possible to make an appointment in advance? I have heard stories of people lining around the corner to get served and I find that scary!

Also I speak very little Spanish and certainly think I will struggle to fill in complicated Spanish paperwork, is there usually an English speaker or translator?

Many thanks

Jenny
Yes I heard that in Madrid there are usually long queues. I got mine in Barcelona and it took 2 minutes.

There wont be any translators, you will be expected to bring your own if you need one. There are some translator volunteers in the tourist areas (usually a British pensioner with broken Spanish), but there wont be any in Madrid.

Maybe the language school you are going to can help you
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

That has absolutely made my day!!! Thank you so so much!

I expect these things to be online but searching for them is taking ages.

Jenny
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

maisymay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hola
When we had our N.I.E.'s done we went Malaga P/station and walked pass the queue as there is a counter for E.U. citizens. Not everyone knows this so join the looooooooooong queue. We have told a lot of new ex-pats this and they have found it easy. Good luck.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

In Motril you take a number as you walk in and they call you. done on the day no problem, am sure you will be fine
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

That has absolutely made my day!!! Thank you so so much!

I expect these things to be online but searching for them is taking ages.

Jenny
Apply for your resdencia certificate at the local National Police station and kill two birds with one stone, you get issued with an NIE number at the same time.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

I am planning on moving to Madrid in January to be a tefl teacher. I am currently doing my research into the paperwork and admin I need to do before the move and have been petrified by some of the websites relating stories of moving to Spain and applying for a NIE number. Firstly how do I make an appointment to receive my NIE number?

I have heard that I can apply for an NIE number whilst still in the UK and have contacted the Spanish consulate in England but they directed me to the ministry of justice website which has nothing to do with an NIE number. If anyone has recently applied for a number in the UK and been successful I would really love to hear your experiences and some guidance on what to do.

Many thanks- Jenny
For what it's worth, I should do it when you get to Spain.
The main & first thing to get is, from the local Town Hall where you'll live, a form to get you "empadronado", or registered with them. without it you can't get any further. It's often referred to as "un volante" (a flyer!!)

If I remember you can complete the form over the counter. I would doubt that you could get it done in the UK. In fact I'd say it's impossible, since you need to provide your Spanish address.
For the NIE you need 2-3 photos at least & yes, you may have to queue, but it's often quicker for EU citizens that the lines of immigrants from Africa, etc.

The main thing to have here for paperwork is bucketloads of patience, plus the odd swear word (English of course; sounds worse when a foreigner swears in Spanish!).

One other thing; by law, everyone is supposed to carry one's ID around always. I refuse to carry my passport, & as the NIE now is an A4 bit of paper, I had it reduced to a plastic card size & laminated, at a local photographer's shop for €2. Then when you go shopping & they ask you for ID (eg DNI) show them your driving licence as it's got a photo, which the NIE hasn't.

Last edited by Retired in Euskadi; Nov 1st 2011 at 6:26 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
For what it's worth, I should do it when you get to Spain.
The main & first thing to get is, from the local Town Hall where you'll live, a form to get you "empadronado", or registered with them. without it you can't get any further. It's often referred to as "un volante" (a flyer!!)

If I remember you can complete the form over the counter. I would doubt that you could get it done in the UK. In fact I'd say it's impossible, since you need to provide your Spanish address.
For the NIE you need 2-3 photos at least & yes, you may have to queue, but it's often quicker for EU citizens that the lines of immigrants from Africa, etc.

The main thing to have here for paperwork is bucketloads of patience, plus the odd swear word (English of course; sounds worse when a foreigner swears in Spanish!).

One other thing; by law, everyone is supposed to carry one's ID around always. I refuse to carry my passport, & as the NIE now is an A4 bit of paper, I had it reduced to a plastic card size & laminated, at a local photographer's shop for €2. Then when you go shopping & they ask you for ID (eg DNI) show them your driving licence as it's got a photo, which the NIE hasn't.
You only needed photos and fingerprints for the residencia card, you no longer need them as there is no where to stick them on the certificate.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:17 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You only needed photos and fingerprints for the residencia card, you no longer need them as there is no where to stick them on the certificate.
Right, but that doesn't stop the jobsworths asking for them!

In Motril, which is the most perfect place in Spain to get an application processed while you wait they did want photos. God knows what they did with them but they did insist on them!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Right, but that doesn't stop the jobsworths asking for them!

In Motril, which is the most perfect place in Spain to get an application processed while you wait they did want photos. God knows what they did with them but they did insist on them!
& I have heard of somewhere asking for fingerprints recently - and didn't I read here of somewhere now issuing cards when you sign the resident list?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.