Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

News blackout so now we have to rely on YouTube for actual events

News blackout so now we have to rely on YouTube for actual events

Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice
Default News blackout so now we have to rely on YouTube for actual events

Just been onto YouTube after reading online newspapers. Check it out for yourselves. Type in "demonstrators chase Metropolitan police". This could only happen in the UK. It's so sad, so shameful....Did any of you see this on British TV or is it true that there was a news blackout on the day this occurred?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond reputeHettyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News blackout so now we have to rely on YouTube for actual events

It was in the newspapers on Feb 1st.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice

Yet this demonstration took place sometime in January 2009?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

This video is difficult to find on Youtube (for some reason). Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97hyD...eature=related

This is lamentable.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I don't really understand the title of the YouTube entry "Met Police humiliated by demonstrators...." and comments about the Police "running away" from them. It was clearly nothing like that at all. I think the Police were very restrained given the circumstances and were just accompanying the protest march, not "running away". What silly things some people say for dramatic effect.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I think this represents a very benevolent view of the situation.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Is there ACTUALLY any proof that there was a news blackout? I ask this because I saw it on News 24, and if I saw it, others saw it, so it cant have been that good a blackout?!

Is this the same as the crap about Christmas being banned and replaced with a Wintervall festival!?

PEOPLE..... STEP AWAY FROM THE DAILY MAIL!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 9:03 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just about a blackout, why did the Police do that? Probably because they were mainly Muslims and they were ordered not to stand their ground. They are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If it had been a group of trade unionists they would have waded in with riot gear!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It's not just about a blackout, why did the Police do that? Probably because they were mainly Muslims and they were ordered not to stand their ground. They are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If it had been a group of trade unionists they would have waded in with riot gear!
Why did the police do what?

In the video the demonstrators were heated, but were essentially non-violent apart from a few throwing orange cones. The police were being goaded but didn't allow themselves to get drawn in (apart from a couple of very minor scuffles I saw).

What would have happened if the police had taken their bait and waded in heavy handed? It would have been a full on riot I am sure with plenty of injured police and demonstrators alike. I think this is what the demonstrators wanted, but they didn't get it.

I think that as long as the demonstration is non-violent, which it was based on that video, it would be difficult for the police to justify using force.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:30 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
I don't really understand the title of the YouTube entry "Met Police humiliated by demonstrators...." and comments about the Police "running away" from them. It was clearly nothing like that at all. I think the Police were very restrained given the circumstances and were just accompanying the protest march, not "running away". What silly things some people say for dramatic effect.
By the same token, the French were very restrained given the circumstances against the Germans.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl

The police were outnumbered, outmanoeuvred and totally without any leadership!!!! Did you even pick up on the fact that a considerable number of the police who were on the run were petite females who were scared of the demonstrators? Just look at their faces! This was a disgraceful exercise for all concerned. All the more so because I've seen the Metropolitan police in action against peaceful demonstrators and they weren't so "restrained" then.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:35 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I've had enough of you racist bigots! Take a look at the vid, there must have been a few thousand protesters, and HOW MANY POLICE?

If the police had of stood their ground they would have had the shite kicked out of them, if they had called in reinforcements they would have been accused of an over reaction. The protesters, REGARDLESS of race, colour, religion.... are youths, young, angry men and women, trust me, I have stood in line on those protests, and it is full of rent-a-thugs that have got bugger all to do with anything but they are intimidating animals brought in to do just what they did there!

I am pretty sure that this demo was the anti-Israeli one, if so then the title is misleading as it wasn't just muslims, it was BRITISH people!

Why chose to put a BNP video on a forum and ask for level headed views?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
OK, I've had enough of you racist bigots! Take a look at the vid, there must have been a few thousand protesters, and HOW MANY POLICE?

If the police had of stood their ground they would have had the shite kicked out of them, if they had called in reinforcements they would have been accused of an over reaction. The protesters, REGARDLESS of race, colour, religion.... are youths, young, angry men and women, trust me, I have stood in line on those protests, and it is full of rent-a-thugs that have got bugger all to do with anything but they are intimidating animals brought in to do just what they did there!

I am pretty sure that this demo was the anti-Israeli one, if so then the title is misleading as it wasn't just muslims, it was BRITISH people!

Why chose to put a BNP video on a forum and ask for level headed views?
Of those of us who have posted on this thread, who are you exactly calling a racist bigot and what are your reasons? I suggest you sit back and think of a reasoned argument instead of your usual knee-jerk, uninformed outbursts.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:58 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Negada
Of those of us who have posted on this thread, who are you exactly calling a racist bigot and what are your reasons? I suggest you sit back and think of a reasoned argument instead of your usual knee-jerk, uninformed outbursts.
The link and the hype over this has all come from the BNP, from what I understand from reading about this the clip on display it happened down a side street away from the main demo. One of the tactics the police use against angry demonstrators is to draw parts of the demo off away from the main demo and perform a controlled retreat. This saps the strength of an angry mob and since EVERYONE wants to prove they can challenge authority it is easy to draw people into thinking they have the upper hand.

In no time the demo turns into a simple march rather than a potential riot. Now, where is your evidence that the police were not doing this, because from where I am looking thats what it looks like to me, but then I watched the clip(S), read a little more about it, made the effort to find out some more info about it, AND THEN MADE MY CONSIDERED OBSERVATION.

Now who is guilty of "usual knee-jerk, uninformed outbursts."

(Bet someone reports this post as well)
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
The link and the hype over this has all come from the BNP, from what I understand from reading about this the clip on display it happened down a side street away from the main demo. One of the tactics the police use against angry demonstrators is to draw parts of the demo off away from the main demo and perform a controlled retreat. This saps the strength of an angry mob and since EVERYONE wants to prove they can challenge authority it is easy to draw people into thinking they have the upper hand.

In no time the demo turns into a simple march rather than a potential riot. Now, where is your evidence that the police were not doing this, because from where I am looking thats what it looks like to me, but then I watched the clip(S), read a little more about it, made the effort to find out some more info about it, AND THEN MADE MY CONSIDERED OBSERVATION.

Now who is guilty of "usual knee-jerk, uninformed outbursts."

(Bet someone reports this post as well)

Hmm, I'll repeat my question which you failed to answer and maybe you can reply to it with your CONSIDERED OBSERVATION - of those of us who have posted on this thread, who are you exactly calling a racist bigot and what are your reasons?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.