British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Newbie to Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/newbie-spain-870094/)

nicola s Jan 5th 2016 9:00 am

Newbie to Spain

Hi everyone, happy new year!

Myself and my husband are seriously considering relocating to Spain and want to start looking for properties around Easter time this year. We want to spend a few months renting while we explore and wondered if anyone had any advice on where is the best place to start with and is it best to go through agents to rent for a few months initially.

I think we want to live in a semi rural area in a detached property not so far from a village and maybe an hours drive from airport. Right now we have no fixed ideas on areas, Or style of house. My dream would be a farmhouse style and vineyard or olive grove but I am aware that may be a pipe dream so we want to focus on finding somewhere we want to settle first and then focus on house styles.

My husband will likely end up still travelling abroad for work so the hours drive to airport will likely be a major factor

Thank you reading

Nic

Casa Santo Estevo Jan 5th 2016 11:24 am

Re: Newbie to Spain

Your dreams sounds as if you could choose almost anywhere in Spain. Most areas will have vines some will have olive groves with the vines, yes including here in Galicia.
It is going to be down to you to choose what area then hone that down a bit.
I would strongly advise you not to come to Spain during Easter as it is a big festival and businesses will be closed during the festivals. Hotels, car hire ect will be more expensive due to the festivals too. Just wait a few weeks.

Could you please give more information about the airport requirements to which destination does hubby fly too and how often?

nicola s Jan 6th 2016 10:35 am

Thank you for your reply case santo estevo

I think that's the thing we are unsure of areas as yet but think we will focus on Alicante airport for now as that offers best flights from uk from Scotland after a search so will be easier for family. My husband could fly anywhere in the world for work so as long as he can get to an international airport easily we will be ok

Nic

Casa Santo Estevo Jan 6th 2016 12:04 pm

As far as Spain is concerned there is Europe International or World Wide International.
So choose carefully.

tony Jan 6th 2016 8:08 pm

Hi Nicola

We live semi rural about 25min from Alicante airport and the Beach,

We live near the Village of Agost , but there are many other villages not to far from the airport ,

There are plenty of Fincas around with olives , almonds , vines etc

We have been here over 12 years now , our finca had about 150 to 200 orange trees , sadly most have died now , havent got green fingers ! and didnt realise the amount of work and water thet required !

I Remember thinking trees just grow and you dont have to do to much to them except pick the fruit --- I was wrong !

First I recommend you come over hire a car and go exploring !

Cheers Tony

nicola s Jan 7th 2016 2:55 am

Thanks casa Santo estevo, I think the flights will be ok as long as flights to Paris or London.

Tony, thank you we plan to rent first and explore areas then we will hopefully find the right area then the house and if it comes with fruit trees etc it's a bonus. I think they will be hard work thankfully neither of us are scared of that but might be more than we bargained for so will look into it carefully

Nic

Leper Jan 7th 2016 7:04 pm

Hi Nicola, You will see that in most of my posts of advice I suggest anybody thinking to relocating to Spain should rent for about 5/6 weeks off season in the area in which it is intended to live.

Believe me, during those few weeks you will learn if Spain is for you.

Know what you want e.g. south of Spain can be too hot during July/August. I live in mainland Spain's warmest and driest climate Mojacar Playa Costa Almeria.

nicola s Jan 7th 2016 11:35 pm

Thanks leper,

That's great advice. We were thinking the same thing and want to rent before we buy and have decided to give ourselves a year of renting while looking as its a big decision.

Adie443 Feb 1st 2016 5:13 am

Hi nicola
I'd say if you wanted good airport choices then anywhere from Alicante to San Javier. You'll have the choice of ALICANTE airport and Murcia,
We live in cabo roig between the two and I fly in and out on a regular basis around 6 times a year for my job
Adie

personal_assistant Feb 2nd 2016 10:38 am

Hi Nicola!

Have you considered Valencia? Here is perfect weather, beach, it is the third biggest city of Spain. Excellent airport. There are many options where to live. City and rural area. A lots of expats.

-snip-

christmasoompa Feb 2nd 2016 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by personal_assistant (Post 11855992)
Hi Nicola!

Have you considered Valencia? Here is perfect weather, beach, it is the third biggest city of Spain. Excellent airport. There are many options where to live. City and rural area. A lots of expats.

-snip-

Hi there, perhaps you didn't see the delete message I put on your previous post, but please do take the time to re-read Site Rule 9, thx.